Laura's Theme

Sacred Synthesis

Laura's Theme
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
The BBC recently did a segment on the origin of the Twin Peaks movie music.  My wife heard the segment and excitedly told me about it.   I don't know if there's a connection, but now I've come across a few versions of it in new synthesizer demos.  Perhaps Laura Palmer's theme will become something similar to the Bladerunner theme for synthesists, at least for string patches. 

For anyone interested, here's the entire piece:

And here's the composer's story:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:40:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

Re: Laura's Theme
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 04:06:17 AM »
I've always liked the Twin Peaks music. It does such a great job of setting the mood for the show. Also, it's single-handedly responsible for my love of this Roland string sound.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
I absolutely adore this theme. When I watched the twin peaks series the first time about two years ago, it caught me instantly.
But I have to admit that it's more about the piano part than the synth for me (as a pianist ::)).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
Laura Palmer's Theme is so simple, yet effective and memorable.  I'd say an all-synthesizer version would be a snap to produce with only two instruments and one or two tracks.  Anybody?

As for the composer's story, it's like a musical fantasy.  It's the way you'd like to believe things always work in composing: spontaneous, immediate, and while using the most basic of musical tools - in this case, a Rhodes and a cheap little tape recorder.  The only thing missing from the story is a Minimoog! 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:42:19 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Laura Palmer's Theme is so simple, yet effective and memorable.  I'd say an all-synthesizer version would be a snap to produce with only two instruments and one or two tracks.  Anybody?

As for the composer's story, it's like a musical fantasy.  It's the way you'd like to believe things always work in composing: spontaneous, immediate, and while using the most basic of musical tools - in this case, a Rhodes and a cheap little tape recorder.  The only thing missing from the story is a Minimoog!

It's already has been done on the Rev2 if you look it up on youtube.  :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »
Right.  That's one of the reasons for this thread.  The music seems ideally simple for various keyboard arrangements.

There are others as well:

And then there's this:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:02:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »