Poly Seq Clearing Question

Poly Seq Clearing Question
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
I want to use one of the User presets because I like the sound, but I want to record my own sequence.

Is there a way to clear sequenced tracks? The issue at hand is the sequence I have might be shorter that the one that was with the preset and the other notes are still present.

Over all this is just an amazing synth!

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Poly Seq Clearing Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:11:10 PM »
You can't simply "clear" a sequence, it will always be populated with notes. However, as soon as you record a new sequence of even a single note it will wipe out all notes notes after it. In other words, just record your new sequence and it will only contain the notes you put there yourself.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
I am having quite a bit of fun playing with the polysequencer.  Is there a way to loop the track shorter than 64 steps?  I read through the manual in the "Sequencer" section, but was curious if there is a global parameter that may be changed.

aeonn

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:06:29 AM »
I am having quite a bit of fun playing with the polysequencer.  Is there a way to loop the track shorter than 64 steps?  I read through the manual in the "Sequencer" section, but was curious if there is a global parameter that may be changed.

From what I tried so far, yes you can set a shorter length for the sequence, just play your notes while "record" is lit and once you are done, hit "play" so the sequence will start and loop according to the length you have recorded.

sEIGu

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
Clearing a complete sequence would be great.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
Clearing a complete sequence would be great.

I agree. When one layer has recorded tracks and you aren't too aware of it. There are sounds playing behind the tracks you have recorded and it's a bit of a pain to click on each step and put a rest in.

Just my two cents

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »
The program architecture doesn't make this possible. The sequencer *must* have a value in it in order to be saved as a program parameter. You can record a sequence with a single step or a single rest if you want silence, or re-record your sequence to "clear" it, but you won't every be able to have a completely non-populated sequence. A sequence with a length of 1 and a rest for step 1 is pretty close though.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »
The program architecture doesn't make this possible. The sequencer *must* have a value in it in order to be saved as a program parameter. You can record a sequence with a single step or a single rest if you want silence, or re-record your sequence to "clear" it, but you won't every be able to have a completely non-populated sequence. A sequence with a length of 1 and a rest for step 1 is pretty close though.

Yes, but it would be user friendly to be able to put that rest in at step 0 on all tracks with a «single» click.
[Record]+[Mode] anyone?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
I'm actually having a problem with recording to the poly sequencer.... I'm aware that you just hit record, and then start playing notes or chords, and press play when done, but as others are saying, there are notes from the stored sequence playing "behind" what you just played... it sounds as if less than 6 notes are held at a certain step, if the stored sequence used other of the 6 tracks than the newly played notes did, then those from the stored sequence in the program still sound in addition to the material I have just played...

I get that 6 tracks are available... but if the stored sequence use for example, track 1,2,3 and four... but my first hit note is only ONE note taken on track 1, then whatever was in track 2,3 and 4 is also playing.... I cannot find any way to clear these ... I assume that the poly sequencer should be able to record played chords!? ... to me it sounds like the recording function is in a kind of "overdub" mode...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:45:42 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one...this is quite cumbersome.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
I just got this synth and when I hit record - it doesn't record the sequence that I play at all.  I just hear the factory one.  Doesn't seem to be any instructions in the user guide about getting around the issue.  You should be able to play something and have it play back exactly as you  played it - over-writing the old sequence from the first note played. From what I understand from the guide - you have to press mode to add a rest & destination for a tie vs just playing something naturally.  Talk about tedious and convoluted!   I hope there can be a "fix" (firmware update?) for this in the future where you just play something and it plays back what you played.  I am not "getting" how to get around the issue with the posts noted above.  In poly mode - in record - I tried hitting one note & then mode (rest) in each of 6 tracks and it doesn't wipe out the existing sequence.  I can't even get a note of a new sequence to play.  It just plays the old sequence after I play a bunch of notes after hitting the record button.   I think you need an old time synth composer such as myself to give you user friendly advice the next time you design a synth w/the KISS principal - keeping things intuitive.  Played Prophet 5 #2620 (later MIDIfied) & got worldwide airplay back in the early 80's - with debut of the year in Polyphony back then (now Electronic Musician magazine)   If this is the way it operates and it doesn't sense even velocity without you having to manually key it in for every note - then I feel like this is late 1970's technology... (the other stuff is cool - but not this - this is a dinosaur)   Please help so I can actually record a sequence and wipe out the old one.  Right now - it doesn't record a thing.  (and yes I'm in U and not F banks)   Whoever designed this wasn't a musician - they were a computer coder geek. If the old sequence continued to play - how would you know what track or step it is being played in - so you could wipe it out - and how would you know where you DID record something (either track or step number)  - in order to make a mod later -  if there is no visual representation?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:02:11 PM by Starbuster »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »
I'm having the same issue as the three posters above. Even my own patches won't record new sequences without the prior one playing in the background if the old one was saved before. Entering rests don't even make a difference. I can't imagine there's not some way around this...

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
I'm having the same issue as the three posters above. Even my own patches won't record new sequences without the prior one playing in the background if the old one was saved before. Entering rests don't even make a difference. I can't imagine there's not some way around this...
I've been playing with it and it is indeed a bit cumbersome. But most likely you're hearing the old sequence because another Track still has notes saved. For example if you set Rest for Track 2 Step 1 but there is still a note and velocity saved for Track 1 Step 1, the sequence will just play as per usual but with the new Rest on Track 2 Step 1. So Robot Heart's suggestion seems like your best bet: Hit record, play one note, hit record. This should create a new sequence of 1 step, essentially erasing the old one. If you want it completely blank for some reason, you can create a rest on the single step.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
I suppose I should have specified that I made sure all tracks were set to rest and no, that doesn't make any difference. The other suggestion obviously doesn't work either as was specified.

jg666

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 07:14:02 AM »
I’m still finding the recording in the poly sequencer hit and miss. Sometimes it just won’t record at all and every time you play back the original is still there. I end up having to record just a single note, play that back and then record the desired sequence over the top of that. Even then it can take multiple attempts for it to overwrite.

There’re another problem as well. If you accidentally switch programs whilst playing back a sequence, quite often when the program changes it plays the sequence of that new program but then you can’t stop it. Even if you keep toggling the Play button on and off (on both layers if appropriate) it still won’t stop playing the sequence. I’ve had to power the synth off in such cases. It might be when you’re playing back a sequence on a preset that only has one layer, keep it running and then change to a preset with layers A and B. I need to investigate more but it definitely keeps happening

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
We've had zero reports of the sequencer not recording correctly. Since it does record up to 6 notes per step, some care has to be taken in the way the steps are recorded. As soon as you press and hold a single note in record mode the next 5 notes you play will be added to the current step, so you can't simply play chords as you normally would and have the sequencer record your playing.

Regarding this issue and the sequencer not stopping on program change, if you can repeat either behavior please contact our dedicated support channel with the steps to reproduce it: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

jg666

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
We've had zero reports of the sequencer not recording correctly. Since it does record up to 6 notes per step, some care has to be taken in the way the steps are recorded. As soon as you press and hold a single note in record mode the next 5 notes you play will be added to the current step, so you can't simply play chords as you normally would and have the sequencer record your playing.

Regarding this issue and the sequencer not stopping on program change, if you can repeat either behavior please contact our dedicated support channel with the steps to reproduce it: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

Ok will do. I've had the sequencer not stopping issue since day 1 of owning it but have just been careful not to change patches whilst it running.... until this week!

I will have a further play around with it this week.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 08:15:37 AM »
OK this is very easy for me to recreate the problem at will with the sequencer not stopping playing...

Go to F1 P75 (ActionOnWheels)
Press the Play button for the Poly sequencer to start.
Go up one preset to F1 P76 and note that sequence is now playing and the Play button remains lit when you press it.
Go back down to f1 P75 and that one is now playing and again the Play button won't turn off.
I've found a way to stop it playing and that's to deselect the Stack A+B

It's not just limited to this particular patch, it happens a lot for me and there's no way to stop sequencer playback by deselecting the Play button.

Can someone else have a go at this and see if the same happens for you please?

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
OK this is very easy for me to recreate the problem at will with the sequencer not stopping playing...

Go up one preset to F1 P76 and note that sequence is now playing and the Play button remains lit when you press it.
Go back down to f1 P75 and that one is now playing and again the Play button won't turn off.

It's not just limited to this particular patch, it happens a lot for me and there's no way to stop sequencer playback by deselecting the Play button.

I can't reproduce the issue.

jg666

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »

I can't reproduce the issue.

OK thanks for trying. I assume you left the sequencer playing back when you changed preset from F1 P75 to F1 P76 ?