USB => MIDI THRU?

USB => MIDI THRU?
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:28 AM »
Hello all!
I have connected another synth to the MIDI THRU socket of the OB-6 and want so send the MIDI data to the OB-6 via USB. The OB-6 receives the data with no problem but it seems that the data for the other synth doesn't reach the MIDI THRU socket. I have set the MIDI OUT option to "both". Is there something else I could have done wrong or is there no way to "connect" the USB-MIDI to the standard MIDI sockets?
Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Re: USB => MIDI THRU?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
I think the MIDI THRU port only passes data from the MIDI IN DIN port, not from USB. I don't have an OB-6, but that's how it seems to work on my Pro 2. But I would love to be wrong about that.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
I know the midi through works great when just using the traditional midi connections. I had mine set up like this for a few days when I got a new synth a few months back.  Never tried to pass info between the 2 protocols though. (5 pin <=> usb) I use both usb and the 5 Pin, but they are doing very different things.  The usb connection is only communicating with the Sound Tower stand alone editor. The 5 pin is handling all note data, clock and automation parameters. After some initial trial and error this setup has been flawless. This is how all my synths with usb are setup come to think of it. Sub37, OB6, Integra 7 and the JD-XI.  USB for editors,  5 pin for midi notes, clock and automation. Works perfectly.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
USB for editors,  5 pin for midi notes, clock and automation. Works perfectly.

If that's working well for you, I might have to try it. Are you on Mac or Windows? And what MIDI interface are you using?
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
Thank you very much for your replies, although they seem to confirm what I've already suspected. This doesn't look very encouraging for what I wanted to do - too bad... The problem is that I only have one regular 5-pin MIDI out in my setup and more non-USB MIDI devices than channels. What I wanted to do was to run just my three main instruments (OB-6, JX3P and Emulator II) separately from the rest of the instruments via the OB-6's USB port so that I don't have to leave all the other machines switched on all the time just to send MIDI messages through... I would have to do this because those 3 instruments sit at the far end of a (possible) MIDI chain.
Maybe I'll try to use the Moog Little Phatty as a USB=>MIDI interface - that synth is definitely able to output USB MIDI through its 5-pin output...let's see.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
USB for editors,  5 pin for midi notes, clock and automation. Works perfectly.

If that's working well for you, I might have to try it. Are you on Mac or Windows? And what MIDI interface are you using?

I'm on Windows 7 64bit using Nuendo. I'm using 2 Midi Interfaces: RME Raydat (2 ports) Edirol UM-3eX (3 ports) I have the usb midi ports from the synths disabled in Nuendo's midi port setup.
Each synth editor has a midi port selection page where you must select the usb port.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)