Rev2 or OB-6?

Rev2 or OB-6?
« on: June 05, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »
Fellow synthesists,

Looking for feedback on choosing between these two wonderful Instruments. I know much has been said about them already, and I know the Rev2 is just getting into the field, so we're still waiting for user feedback to roll in. However, consider the question with this caveat--the one you select will be the only analog poly in your toolkit. Which one would you choose and why?

*Moderators, feel free to move this topic elsewhere if need be. Wasn't sure where to place it.

DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

chysn

Re: Rev2 or OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
Seeing how you've already got a pair of Tetras, it should totally be the OB-6.

Unless you really need a five-octave keyboard, in which case it should still totally be the OB-6 anyway.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
My apologies. I should have qualified my scenario a bit more. Assume I don't have the Tetras. Here is the toolkit I'm personally considering:

JV-1010 (rompler)
Moog Minitaur (analog mono)
Korg Radias (VA poly/vocoder/drum module)
Pro 2 (digital/analog hybrid /CV controller)
104 HP Modular (CV experiments)
Rev2 or OB-6 (analog poly)

I'm basically removing the number of choices to make in my studio. Just wondering what to pick if I can have only one analog poly.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
My apologies. I should have qualified my scenario a bit more. Assume I don't have the Tetras. Here is the toolkit I'm personally considering:

JV-1010 (rompler)
Moog Minitaur (analog mono)
Korg Radias (VA poly/vocoder/drum module)
Pro 2 (digital/analog hybrid /CV controller)
104 HP Modular (CV experiments)
Rev2 or OB-6 (analog poly)

I'm basically removing the number of choices to make in my studio. Just wondering what to pick if I can have only one analog poly.

It's kinda tough, without knowing what you're looking for stylistically.

Gut instinct: Rev2 16-voice, as it will give you the 12dB/24db Curtis filter, polyphony in spades, and import from your Tetras. And you already have the SSM and SEM filters (mono) on the Pro-2, so it should complement both.

If you want a VCO-based poly, though, I'd ask the following: do you want something that extends, or complements, the Pro-2?

If you want to extend it, pick your favorite filter type and buy the corresponding polysynth (Filter 1: SSM -> Prophet-6, Filter 2: SEM -> OB-6).

On the other hand, if you wish to find something to complement your go-to filter section on the Pro-2, select the opposite type.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:36:36 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
apples and oranges

dsetto

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:01:30 AM »
Do you need your polyphonic to be bitimbral?
Imagine split.
Imagine stack.
Imagine shared knobs for the two sounds.

Do you need it to have 5 octaves?
Would you like it to sing all the voices you're playing and just played?

Are you a player? If so, are you okay with divvying up duties amongst dual/triple tiers and/or L, U, or O configs?

Do you want a rich flavor, from the get go?
Was a mouthful of Pomegranates worth the effort?

Do you want greater control of your poly's twists, bends, quivering, adornments, pulsating?

Do you want to surround yourself in dual discrete pairs?

Are multiple recorded passes an acceptable or preferred approach to single take capture- when more than 6 voices or 2 sounds are preferred?

Do you want the knob to always be that function? Always? Period. ... That's very powerful- is my guess.

Would you make use of 4 full-featured oscillators? Do you need it?

Does two different step sequencers on different sounds with room for live playing on top, all on one keyboard, immediately in front of you, excite you?
Or, is splitting that amongst two keyboards a better solution? Each with its own interface instantly available as last adjusted.

Do you want a flavor that is inherently deep, bold? Raw, primitive?

Maybe it's pomegranates and coffee? (And the Prophet 6, dark chocolate.)

Do you need your polyphonic bitimbral?

(Am I asking you, or me?)

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »
does anyone really need anything? hehe

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:21 AM »
The justification for getting an OB-6 is simply - do you absolutely love the sound of the OB-6 and need to have it in your music? If you do then no other current synth is going to you that sound.

Personally, I think the Rev2 is the superior instrument in every way... apart from getting that unique OB sound. As it turns out, I don't have a strong emotional reaction to that OB sound, so it's an easy decision for me. :) I find the programming possibilities of the Rev2 far more inspiring.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »
Like someone said, apples and oranges.

You should go into the local shop and test drive both. The ob6 has a distinct sound and I have mad love for the ob from back in the day, so it was a nobrainer for me.

The REV2 is a good all around keyboard for my needs (i also have a jupiter 80) and although im not used to prophets the REV2 will give me the sounds I could ever need.

In my setup i have the OB6, the REV2, and a jupiter 80.

If you cant get both , you should jump on the REV2 16 voice.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 06:33:46 AM »
Seeing how you've already got a pair of Tetras, it should totally be the OB-6.

You're absolutely right if I choose to keep the Tetras. The "only one analog poly" constraint is somewhat artificial, but I just wanted to see what people would choose under those circumstances.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
apples and oranges

Understood. But if you could only have an apple OR an orange, which would you choose and why?

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
apples and oranges

Understood. But if you could only have an apple OR an orange, which would you choose and why?

Honestly not a fan of either; prefer peaches and apricots ;)

"'Cause I love what I love and I want it that way"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:12:21 AM by double-u »

dsetto

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
Bryan, did any of those questions resonate with you?

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
It's kinda tough, without knowing what you're looking for stylistically.

Gut instinct: Rev2 16-voice, as it will give you the 12dB/24db Curtis filter, polyphony in spades, and import from your Tetras. And you already have the SSM and SEM filters (mono) on the Pro-2, so it should complement both.

If you want a VCO-based poly, though, I'd ask the following: do you want something that extends, or complements, the Pro-2?

If you want to extend it, pick your favorite filter type and buy the corresponding polysynth (Filter 1: SSM -> Prophet-6, Filter 2: SEM -> OB-6).

On the other hand, if you wish to find something to complement your go-to filter section on the Pro-2, select the opposite type.

Good analysis and a sound approach here.  I do think in terms of filter character. I am very pleased with the Curtis sound, and the SSM on the Pro 2 is really good. But it wasn't until recently that I discovered the richness of the Pro 2's SEM filter. It really shines in paraphonic mode (my apologies for not remembering who pointed that out in a previous thread). It doesn't sparkle quite like the OB-6 filter, but it's cool nonetheless and may tilt the balance in favor of the Rev 2 (especially in light of some of dsetto's thought-provoking questions, which I hope to address soon).

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
You should go into the local shop and test drive both.

Yup, that's the smart thing to do. Not quite convenient, though. I'm familiar with the OB-6 sound, having done just that. And I'm familiar with the Curtis sound via my Tetras. I may even buy a Rev 2 just to A/B it against the Tetra. If I don't like it, I'll take it back and get the OB.

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:32:04 PM »
It really depends upon what you are looking to do.   It's kind of like asking whether to buy a classic Porsche that's been modded a little or buy a new 911 with the latest bells and whistles.  The new 911 will do everything better, but the classic Porsche will have a certain intangible that makes the classic car so desirable.

Likewise, the Rev 2 will do everything better.  The OB-6 is based upon a classic design that carries the Oberheim intangible.  If you want a synth that covers a lot of area and does it well, then it's the Rev 2.  If you want that classic Oberheim intangible and are willing to forego some of the modern amenities - then it's the OB-6.

My own choice of the apple or orange, given my gear, I would go with an OB-6 rather than a Rev 2 because I already own a P-08.  If I didn't have the P-08, I would go with the Rev 2.  I don't think the OB-6 would make up for the loss of the P-08 IMO.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
Do you need your polyphonic to be bitimbral?
Imagine split.
Imagine stack.
Imagine shared knobs for the two sounds.

Do you need it to have 5 octaves?
Would you like it to sing all the voices you're playing and just played?

Are you a player? If so, are you okay with divvying up duties amongst dual/triple tiers and/or L, U, or O configs?

Do you want a rich flavor, from the get go?
Was a mouthful of Pomegranates worth the effort?

Do you want greater control of your poly's twists, bends, quivering, adornments, pulsating?

Do you want to surround yourself in dual discrete pairs?

Are multiple recorded passes an acceptable or preferred approach to single take capture- when more than 6 voices or 2 sounds are preferred?

Do you want the knob to always be that function? Always? Period. ... That's very powerful- is my guess.

Would you make use of 4 full-featured oscillators? Do you need it?

Does two different step sequencers on different sounds with room for live playing on top, all on one keyboard, immediately in front of you, excite you?
Or, is splitting that amongst two keyboards a better solution? Each with its own interface instantly available as last adjusted.

Do you want a flavor that is inherently deep, bold? Raw, primitive?

Maybe it's pomegranates and coffee? (And the Prophet 6, dark chocolate.)

Do you need your polyphonic bitimbral?

(Am I asking you, or me?)

We have the same quandary. :) Here are some answers:

I'm not a keyboard player, so five octaves is not necessary. I've been working from 49-key and 44-key synths, and that's doable, but 61 keys would be convenient, especially in the Rev 2 form factor since the overall width is about the same as my Nord (which it would be replacing, along with my Tetras).

The polyphony is quite welcome, of course, but is in theory not necessary since I have polyphony in the Radias and JV-1010 for big pads. However, the analog pads coming from the Tetras are somewhat darker and a little more organic sounding to my ears. Large ambient pads on the OB-6 would be more challenging to create (but not impossible by any means).

Although not necessary, split, stack, bi-timbral, dual sequencers, and live playing over the top are all elements I never really exploit from the Tetras because programming can be challenging even with the software editors. Sometimes it feels like it's more trouble than it's worth. That being said, I have programmed some of my favorite sounds on those boxes. So the thought of merging such an elegant interface to access such a lovely sounding synth engine is very appealing to me. But the REV2 will need to have the same sound quality and character as the Tetras to convince me to make the change.

Great questions and very helpful. Thank you. 

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
It really depends upon what you are looking to do.   It's kind of like asking whether to buy a classic Porsche that's been modded a little or buy a new 911 with the latest bells and whistles.  The new 911 will do everything better, but the classic Porsche will have a certain intangible that makes the classic car so desirable.

Likewise, the Rev 2 will do everything better.  The OB-6 is based upon a classic design that carries the Oberheim intangible.  If you want a synth that covers a lot of area and does it well, then it's the Rev 2.  If you want that classic Oberheim intangible and are willing to forego some of the modern amenities - then it's the OB-6.

My own choice of the apple or orange, given my gear, I would go with an OB-6 rather than a Rev 2 because I already own a P-08.  If I didn't have the P-08, I would go with the Rev 2.  I don't think the OB-6 would make up for the loss of the P-08 IMO.

Well said. If I can only have one, it probably does make more sense to have the Rev 2, especially since I should be able to replicate my Tetra sounds and am discovering how to get OB-like sounds from the Pro 2.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
The justification for getting an OB-6 is simply - do you absolutely love the sound of the OB-6 and need to have it in your music? If you do then no other current synth is going to you that sound.

Personally, I think the Rev2 is the superior instrument in every way... apart from getting that unique OB sound. As it turns out, I don't have a strong emotional reaction to that OB sound, so it's an easy decision for me. :) I find the programming possibilities of the Rev2 far more inspiring.

My emotions tend to favor the OB-6 when I hear it. But my head is telling me the Rev2 is just a better value.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »

My emotions tend to favor the OB-6 when I hear it. But my head is telling me the Rev2 is just a better value.

as i get older and less certain about things, i'm coming to the opinion that preferability of sound can be a placebo effect. for example, lets say a contemporary piece of gear gets poor reviews; sales are poor and the product is discontinued. Because no one wants the product, prices plummet which make this gear more affordable to another demographic of artist. One such artist uses this gear because it's financially within means due to unpopularity and creates a hit track that goes viral; then that creates a demand amongst fans for this gear which causes prices to skyrocket due to supply availability of a short-run product. From there come the imitations, tone purists, etc.

it's like the visual-art world where paintings have value because people accept the appraisal of so-called "expert" who can rarely even tell between a forgery and original. value is simply in the eye of the beholder. value merchants attach and sell conceptual value; mind games.

where do our values, attitudes and beliefs come from? hehehe
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:48:14 PM by double-u »