Moog Mother-32

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Moog Mother-32
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »
This is what most disappointed me about Moog: they never produced a self-contained oscillator module.  For probably five years now, I've had this happy idea of gradually building up a monophonic synthesizer.  My initial plan was to start with a Voyager and add from there; it seemed like the perfect beginning.  But I wrongly presumed Moog would eventually offer a complete oscillator in a CP-251 type format.  I would have bought several of them and created a beautiful monster of a mono synth.  I waited a couple of years with my Voyager, but in vain, and finally sold it.  Now I've been wondering about the Vermona 14, but after a full year there's still no sign of it (the last I checked).  I've considered all the other popular monos, but none seems to be right as the fundamental building block of this little system. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:01:03 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
One more off topic: the Rhodes will go back. So I'm back at saving up for the Prophet-6 again.  8)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »
Gee, that's disappointing, Paul.  Was it in unsatisfactory condition, or did you just change your mind?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:40:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Gee, that's disappointing, Paul.  Was it unsatisfactory condition, or did you just change your mind?

The former. After I opened the outside tolex covered lid, I recognized that the plastic lid was loose and there were chips of wood all over the outside and inside of the piano.
I then recognized that the damper rail lay diagonally under the harp, where it was stuck. This might have caused some wood to come off the keys. The sustain dowel was also lying somewhere in the case.
Furthermore, roughly 1/3 of the tone bars at the upper end are corroded, two pick-ups didn’t work, the name rail felt was not intact in about the middle third of the piano, and the name plate on the rear was broken.
Apart from that, I discovered that some repair had been done to the outer lid, right above where the plastic lid was patched. And right below that position on the wooden frame of the harp there was a spot that looked like it had been planed off. So basically it looked as if something got through the outer lid, the plastic lid, and then right onto the harp frame. Either something sharp or acid.

But it's okay. I have 3 days to return it and get my money back. Would have been nice, but oh well…

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
The joys of "Vintage".

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
Well, it was described to be in excellent condition apart from missing the sustain pedal. And indeed most of the outer parts looked pristine. But unless you don't have to replace the tolex, everything cosmetic is cheaper to fix than everything action related.
It's not like nothing could be fixed, it's just that I didn't purchased it based on the condition that I might have to invest about $700 extra. Because this is just an electro-mechanical instrument, I was less intimidated by the fact that it's vintage. There's nothing really complicated about a Rhodes.

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Sounds like you did the right thing, Paul Dither! No point in keeping a potential expensive wreck when there are better condition models out there. Good luck finding a better tasting one in the future. Oh and good luck with that Prophet-6 save up project. I will be really curious to hear after NAMM if you still want a Prophet-6 or one of the new machines flashed at gearmas. Its a little over one month from now!

PS: Right now I cannot get a voice architecture made from various Mutable Instrument eurorack modules combined with analog oscillators and filters out of my head. :o . o O ( what else is new )
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:27:18 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Sounds like you did the right thing, Paul Dither! No point in keeping a potential expensive wreck when there are better condition models out there. Good luck finding a better tasting one in the future. Oh and good luck with that Prophet-6 save up project. I will be really curious to hear after NAMM if you still want a Prophet-6 or one of the new machines flashed at gearmas. Its a little over one month from now!

PS: Right now I cannot get a voice architecture made from various Mutable Instrument eurorack modules combined with analog oscillators and filters out of my head. :o . o O ( what else is new )

Hmm, honestly this is the first time I can't quite imagine what DSI/Sequential are going to come up with. Either something completely different or smaller models of what they've developed so far. The only thing I know is that with a Pro 2 and Prophet-6 combo I wouldn't feel like I'd be missing out something to be honest. Everything that would be missing from that is in the purely digital realm.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
The former. After I opened the outside tolex covered lid, I recognized that the plastic lid was loose and there were chips of wood all over the outside and inside of the piano.
I then recognized that the damper rail lay diagonally under the harp, where it was stuck. This might have caused some wood to come off the keys. The sustain dowel was also lying somewhere in the case.
Furthermore, roughly 1/3 of the tone bars at the upper end are corroded, two pick-ups didn’t work, the name rail felt was not intact in about the middle third of the piano, and the name plate on the rear was broken.
Apart from that, I discovered that some repair had been done to the outer lid, right above where the plastic lid was patched. And right below that position on the wooden frame of the harp there was a spot that looked like it had been planed off. So basically it looked as if something got through the outer lid, the plastic lid, and then right onto the harp frame. Either something sharp or acid.

But it's okay. I have 3 days to return it and get my money back. Would have been nice, but oh well…

You definitely made the right decision.  What a lemon.  Ah well.  Maybe some day you can buy a brand new Rhodes, or a Nord Stage with an emulation.

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »

You definitely made the right decision.  What a lemon.  Ah well.  Maybe some day you can buy a brand new Rhodes, or a Nord Stage with an emulation.

Ha, well I'd rather pay $3.500 for a fully refurbished Rhodes at some point than getting a Nord Stage, which feels kind of cheap to me like all of the Nords. The best piano controllers are still built by Yamaha (CP1) and Kawai (MP series or VPC1).

dslsynth

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
Hmm, honestly this is the first time I can't quite imagine what DSI/Sequential are going to come up with. Either something completely different or smaller models of what they've developed so far.

Hehe! I have not entirely given up guessing - except for suspecting it could be a Curtis based machine with both analog and digital oscillators - but I do keep on dreaming about what I want to play with in the future. Also I am very happy I do not have any advance knowledge of what DSI are up to as that would ruin the joy of gearmas.

The Prophet-6 is really nice but imagine not having to chose between voice architectures and sound. ;)

You definitely made the right decision.  What a lemon.

:-X . o O ( lemon synthesis )
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
There's nothing like the real thing.  In general, I don't care at all for emulations, in spite of the convenience of having one keyboard that "does it all".  There's something musically depressing about playing a chameleon without a character and sound of its own.  What's the point of such an instrument even looking distinctive?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:11:28 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
Hehe! I have not entirely given up guessing - except for suspecting it could be a Curtis based machine with both analog and digital oscillators - but I do keep on dreaming about what I want to play with in the future. Also I am very happy I do not have any advance knowledge of what DSI are up to as that would ruin the joy of gearmas.

The Prophet-6 is really nice but imagine not having to chose between voice architectures and sound. ;)

Oh, I don't feel that way with regard to the Prophet-6. Surely it's relatively simple, but it just sounds great and still offers a wide palette of sounds. If I wanna go more bonkers in terms of modulation options, I can still move over to the Pro 2.

You definitely made the right decision.  What a lemon.

:-X . o O ( lemon synthesis )

I'm all up for lemon synthesis! - Might be a great thing for hot summer days.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:03:55 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
There's nothing like the real thing.  In general, I don't care at all for emulations, in spite of the convenience of having one keyboard that "does it all".  There's something musically depressing about playing a chameleon without a character and sound of its own.

That. And I also always found Nords to be overrated. They all feel cheapish to me. For half the price okay, but I'm not willing to pay 80% for just their particular design.

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
My Nord modulars 1&2 are built pretty well I thought, son't seem cheap to me. Never had a single problem with either of them as well.

dslsynth

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »

I was thinking more in terms of old keyboard and sledge hammers! . o O ( :o ::) 8) )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
Can't speak for the modulars. But whenever I tried out their stage pianos and synths, the keyboard felt really cheap.

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »

I was thinking more in terms of old keyboard and sledge hammers! . o O ( :o ::) 8) )

Nah, that's much too exhausting.

dslsynth

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »

A good chance to look into generative methods - and robotics! ;D
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

A good chance to look into generative methods - and robotics! ;D

Okay, but only if I don't find any better way to do a workout.