LFO Delay, can't seem to do it.

LFO Delay, can't seem to do it.
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
Okay, I'm probably being a bit of a thickee here, but I can't seem to do something that I'm sure is really simple.
I want to delay an LFO.
So for example if I set LFO1 to pulse width it works fine, but if I want to delay it a few seconds before the LFO on the pulse width kicks in I can't seem to do it.
I thought I'd be able to achieve this using one of the aux envelopes, but it doesn't seem to work.
I must surely be missing something obvious?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: LFO Delay, can't seem to do it.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »
You can make that work with an envelope. Just assign an envelope of your choice as a modulation source and the LFO as the modulation destination. The envelope stage values will then determine when the LFO kicks in (attack phase) and its ongoing intensity (sustain phase). In order for the envelope to have an audible effect on the LFO though, make sure you set the LFO amount to zero so that its intensity will only be controlled by the envelope.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
You can make that work with an envelope. Just assign an envelope of your choice as a modulation source and the LFO as the modulation destination. The envelope stage values will then determine when the LFO kicks in (attack phase) and its ongoing intensity (sustain phase). In order for the envelope to have an audible effect on the LFO though, make sure you set the LFO amount to zero so that its intensity will only be controlled by the envelope.

I assigned the shape mod to LFO 1 and then assigned the LFO 1 amount as the destination in Aux envelope 3 and applied the slowest attack and it works....sort of. :)
Unfortunately I still can't seem to achieve the effect I was after, but thank you for your help - it's much appreciated. :)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »

I assigned the shape mod to LFO 1 and then assigned the LFO 1 amount as the destination in Aux envelope 3 and applied the slowest attack and it works....sort of. :)
Unfortunately I still can't seem to achieve the effect I was after, but thank you for your help - it's much appreciated. :)

Why not use the Delay parameter on Aux Envelope 3?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »

Why doesn't this work as you'd like?  What happens instead?  What was described above is a standard method for creating delayed vibrato.  Remember that the vibrato depth when you hope a note is controlled by the envelope sustain, and if you want each note strike to begin with no vibrato but then increase, you have to set a very short release time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:30:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
Why doesn't this work as you'd like?  It's a standard method for creating delayed vibrato.  Remember that the vibrato depth when you hope a note is controlled by the envelope sustain, and if you want each note strike to begin with no vibrato but then increase, you have to set a very short release time.

Because even at its slowest attack it still comes in too quick.
For example if I create a basic program,
In the modulation matrix assign LFO1 as the source and assign LFO 1 Frequency as the destination.
So basically what I'd like to use the aux envelope to do, is to allow me to to play a sound unaffected by the LFO frequency until I want it to come in a second or so later.
However, even with the attack of envelope 3 at it's highest value of 127, you can hear LFO frequency almost instantly affect the sound, it just intensifies over the time of the envelope. What I want to do is have it wait an amount of time before that happens and unfortunately that doesn't seem possible. :(

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
Why doesn't this work as you'd like?  It's a standard method for creating delayed vibrato.  Remember that the vibrato depth when you hope a note is controlled by the envelope sustain, and if you want each note strike to begin with no vibrato but then increase, you have to set a very short release time.

Because even at its slowest attack it still comes in too quick.
For example if I create a basic program,
In the modulation matrix assign LFO1 as the source and assign LFO 1 Frequency as the destination.
So basically what I'd like to use the aux envelope to do, is to allow me to to play a sound unaffected by the LFO frequency until I want it to come in a second or so later.
However, even with the attack of envelope 3 at it's highest value of 127, you can hear LFO frequency almost instantly affect the sound, it just intensifies over the time of the envelope. What I want to do is have it wait an amount of time before that happens and unfortunately that doesn't seem possible. :(

Do as DavidDever suggested and use the delay parameter of the envelope. That should give you enough time for a fade-in.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »

Why not use the Delay parameter on Aux Envelope 3?

Ah, good idea! :)
That might have done it. It's not perfect but when the delay is turned to 127 used in combination with slowest attack on the envelope too, that's very close to what I actually want.
Thanks everyone for your help :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Is the Release time on the envelope you're using for vibrato set to something like "15" or less?  If it's longer than that, the next note strike will sound before the Release has eliminated the previous note's vibrato and you'll have vibrato right at the beginning of the notes following the first note.  In other words, the vibrato will fade in for the first note strike only, and then it will sound immediately for the successive note strikes.