I think DSI has the best sounding analog

cbx

I think DSI has the best sounding analog
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:28:41 AM »
I started out with a Mopho desktop, it's like #300 or something. It looks beat up bad. Over time I collected more, as people sold them to upgrade to newer synths like the Prophet-6. I don't recall what the retail price for the Mopho was, I was hoping to get a Prophet-08 some time but I'm not rich and now it's discontinued, but they have a Rev2 coming out.

Compare a Mopho to a Moog little phatty and a Korg MS-20. Well, they are 3 completely different things. The mopho is the most versatile, has the smooth liquid-like sound and just sounds great, is the ultimate techno machine if that's your thing. Moog has the fire in it, has that 'moog' sound, but the little phatty isn't very flexible but it pushes out devastating bass. The MS-20 is squawky and it's high pass filter makes it 'that sound' you want to push up there, and is more something that falls out as you tweak it rather than any kind of plan you had with it.

What I really hope is that they will make a Prophet-6 mono synth.

Re: I think DSI has the best sounding analog
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
What I really hope is that they will make a Prophet-6 mono synth.

...which is pretty much what the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 is (at its core), less the one-knob-per-function aspect (and some of the more DSP-intensive effects, such as the various reverbs). But I understand the need for knobs.

And that's setting aside the Prophet-6 itself, in unison mode (which I use on my Sequential Prophet-600 quite frequently), or the Pro-2 (which has the same filter, but four digital oscillators / paraphony, etc.). So there are a wealth of options.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:56:22 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

cbx

Re: I think DSI has the best sounding analog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:28:22 AM »
I am looking at the Pioneer, because that is more my kind of thing. But, I still prefer it to be a small keyboard like the Mopho was.

The reason I didn't get a prophet-08, or other keyboards is that I'm a guitarist. I can jam on monosynths great, but when I play keyboard I can sort of pull of 4-note chords. The mophox4 is perfect for me, as it's all I can do.

But with the prophet-08 module, I could stack it for layering and making huge sounds.