Faulty encoders?

Faulty encoders?
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
Hi folks!

I recently (2 days ago) bought a Prophet 12 Module second hand, love it BTW, but I wonder if it has some faulty encoders maybe.

The 4 above the screen all do the same thing, so maybe its just a reality of these step encoders, I'm not really sure whether to hope or that or not TBH

Anywho, what they do is function fine if I go slow, but if I go too fast they behave unpredictably, sometimes ill end up at much higher value as I would expect, but other times it will barely move the value of the parameter, sometimes it’ll even go backwards in value although admittedly that is rare.

Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Faulty encoders?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
Sounds like what you're experiencing is the acceleration algorithm on the encoders. There are a few different levels of acceleration depending on how fast you turn the encoder. It is possible to turn the encoder too fast, which can result in only incrementing by a single value or two, or possibly decrementing by one, but you have to turn it extremely fast to experience this. Most likely once you spend a bit more time with the instrument you'll become familiar with how the encoders accelerate.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
I have a P-12 M too.  Turning the encoders at a slow to medium rate works best.  You will learn how to maximize their abilities after using them for awhile.  They're plenty capable as long as you use them within their limits. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
Hey thanks peoples, really appreciate the input!

Was kinda hoping it was normal behaviour as it means I didn't just spend a lot on money on a dud that id have to spend more on to get fixed :)

I am pretty enamoured with her in general I must say.

One thing though I am curious if anyone knows, hoping to avoid starting another thread so I will ask here.

Lets say I have Unison on, is there a way to get back into it to alter some parameters without switching it off first by pressing its button?  It seems an odd oversight so I am wondering if I am missing something perhaps?  Same thing with the Arpeggiator for example.

Cheers!

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 01:38:37 AM »
Lets say I have Unison on, is there a way to get back into it to alter some parameters without switching it off first by pressing its button?  It seems an odd oversight so I am wondering if I am missing something perhaps?  Same thing with the Arpeggiator for example.

Use Show + Unison and Show + Arpeggiator. Another nice way to get into the arpeggiator is to hit Tap Tempo once.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 03:06:42 AM »
Thanks mate. but I don't think that button exists on the module version.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 03:57:35 AM »
From memory I think you long press the buttons on the module.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »
Arg great thank you.  I could have sworn id already tried that, but apparently not as that does the job.

Thank you all for the advice!