Prophet X4?

LoboLives

Prophet X4?
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »
Taking inspiration from the idea behind the Mopho x4 (In which a single synth houses four separate Mopho engines) would we ever see something similar with a Prophet 6 engine? In which you essentially have 4 Prophet 6 modules under one hood? In that you could get 4 different patches playing at once? 

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet X4?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Do you mean, rather, four Toraiz modules?  I would think a Prophet-2 would make more sense, which would be two Toraiz units under one hood and with a keyboard added.  This could be much like the Oberheim Two-Voice, with an option for either two-voice use or one voice having four oscillators; add a dedicated vibrato LFO, and one of the main shortcomings of the P-6 would be overcome.

I agree; even though times are vastly different, it still seems possible that Dave could follow the old Prophet '08 routine of extracting smaller iterations of either the Prophet-6 or the Rev2.  I would love to see that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:24:27 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Do you mean, rather, four Toraiz modules?  I would think a Prophet-2 would make more sense, which would be two Toraiz units under one hood and with a keyboard added.  This could be much like the Oberheim Two-Voice, with an option for either two-voice use or one voice having four oscillators; add a dedicated vibrato LFO, and one of the main shortcomings of the P-6 would be overcome.

I agree; even though times are vastly different, it still seems possible that Dave could follow the old Prophet '08 routine of extracting smaller iterations of either the Prophet-6 or the Rev2.  I would love to see that.

No I mean 6 Prophet 6 modules under a single hood. I think the Pro-4 ( ;) ) is a good idea as well but I mean a quad-timbral polyphonic synth. Sort of like two Prophet 10s stacked. although with a single keybed.

However, the option of attaching an external keybed to the back of the synth via midi would be a nice option but I think having 4 split zones with 4 Prophet 6 patches would be glorious. Having each module having it's own sequencer too.

I know everyone will say (Just buy multiple modules and use a controller) but isn't the Rev2 essentially two Prophet 08 modules under a single hood with the 16 voice version?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »
Neat, but I'm doing the math and it doesn't look pretty.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:53 AM »
Neat, but I'm doing the math and it doesn't look pretty.

Money wise? Yeah, I'm sure there's a way around things because of "New technology"

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
True, but that explanation seemed to cover the Prophet Rev2 only, and not the Prophet-6.  Perhaps it's a matter of DCO's vs. VOC's?  Anyway, I'm game for monster synths!

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
True, but that explanation seemed to cover the Prophet Rev2 only, and not the Prophet-6.  Perhaps it's a matter of DCO's vs. VOC's?  Anyway, I'm game for monster synths!

I aint buying the VCO argument anymore. The Korg ARP Odyssey, Korg Minilogue and the AS-1 are all VCO based.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »
Well, the Korg ARP Odyssey Full Size is pretty close to the price of a Rev2.

cbx

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
I doubt they would unless they could modify the mopho x4 keyboard design that would be economical, designing a whole new keyboard is expensive.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »

I know but that comes down to the housing and keybed not the actual synthesis engine.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
Quote from: cbx
I doubt they would unless they could modify the mopho x4 keyboard design that would be economical, designing a whole new keyboard is expensive.

Also the Mopho x4 wasn't multi-timbral unlike the Tetra.

I wish it were, I have an Mopho x4 and often wished I could use it like a Tetra.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »

I know but that comes down to the housing and keybed not the actual synthesis engine.

But aren't the housing and keybed of the Odyssey cheap?  That lousy wrap around plastic body is the worst.  Whereas, the body of any DSI synthesizer is far superior.

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:00:31 PM »

But aren't the housing and keybed of the Odyssey cheap?  That lousy wrap around plastic body is the worst.

Not sure in regards to the full size.

dslsynth

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 12:38:21 PM »
I would think a Prophet-2 would make more sense, which would be two Toraiz units under one hood and with a keyboard added.

Agree, the duo is the new mono! Especially if layers are available. With enough oscillators per voice it could have an interesting paraphonic mode with stereo panned filters.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
I would think a Prophet-2 would make more sense, which would be two Toraiz units under one hood and with a keyboard added.

Agree, the duo is the new mono! Especially if layers are available. With enough oscillators per voice it could have an interesting paraphonic mode with stereo panned filters.

I disagree I still think people are looking for a four voice over a duo.

dslsynth

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
I disagree I still think people are looking for a four voice over a duo.

Of cause many will see a four voice as better than a two voice. But that is not the point. The point is that a duo will allow a number of features that a mono cannot do such as stack, split or stereo panning of the two voices and with enough oscillators it could have a paraphonic mode with stereo panned filters. In that way the duo is a better mono.

Also, I see two voices with layers as a more flexible alternative to a pair of stereo panned voices. Or said in another way: better use of the hardware. Then add front panel versus voice contents considerations.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
That would be a very attractive instrument.

dslsynth

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
That would be a very attractive instrument.

Build to your specs basically. ;) Layers are far more flexible than fixed stereo panning. Evolver style stereo panning will simply be a new layer mode.
#!/bin/sh