Ok, talk me through it

LoboLives

Re: Ok, talk me through it
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 05:37:03 AM »
Question. Are there cursor buttons to select patches or is it by dial only?

definitely no curser like the moog little phatty stage II; horrible menu diving.

i really appreciate the simplicity of the interface and that there is no curser :D

Ugh...I was really hoping there would at least be cursor buttons to make switching between patches a bit quicker. Turning a dial could easily lead to scrolling past the preset you need if you move it too fast.

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »

definitely no curser like the moog little phatty stage II; horrible menu diving.

i really appreciate the simplicity of the interface and that there is no curser :D

Ugh...I was really hoping there would at least be cursor buttons to make switching between patches a bit quicker. Turning a dial could easily lead to scrolling past the preset you need if you move it too fast.

That's what the user banks are for; can quickly switch between banks and have the patches you're looking for in particular orders relative to the set, etc.  How many patches do you regularly use in a performance? 128 patches per 4 user banks isn't very slow to navigate once you get into a flow

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »

That's what the user banks are for; can quickly switch between banks and have the patches you're looking for in particular orders relative to the set, etc.  How many patches do you regularly use in a performance? 128 patches per 4 user banks isn't very slow to navigate once you get into a flow

It still isn't as instantaneous as the P6 or OB6. I understand user banks and the concept but still a dial and scroll isn't ideal when you are doing it on the fly and need to quickly switch in a second.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
It still isn't as instantaneous as the P6 or OB6. I understand user banks and the concept but still a dial and scroll isn't ideal when you are doing it on the fly and need to quickly switch in a second.

I agree. I also find this to be a pain for fast patch switches (and also agree that the bank knob does seem to be the best option). I wonder if there is a simple MIDI pedal switch that could be used to toggle through patches via MIDI in?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
I agree, too.  Scrolling requires that your patches be organized to suit the method, which some times means you've got to move them around and put them in consecutive order as you intend to use them, even musical piece by musical piece.  This is difficult even in a studio performance. 

The arrangement I find to be ideal is the keypad.  The Poly Evolver Keyboard gives you both methods - scrolling and punching in.  It's so easy and convenient that you can create your own sort of banks within banks; meaning, you can organize programs in groups of tens and reach each one by keypad much more quickly than you could by scrolling.

I haven't used a Prophet 12, so I can't say if it offers the same keypad ease as the PEK.  And not to sound like a broken record, since I've said this so many times before, but Dave aimed high with the Poly Evolver Keyboard.  I only wish he would incorprate its many strengths into other instruments more than he thus far has.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:06:50 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
I agree, too.  Scrolling requires that your patches be organized to suit the method, which some times means you've got to move them around and put them in consecutive order as you intend to use them, even musical piece by musical piece.  This is difficult even in a studio performance. 

The arrangement I find to be ideal is the keypad.  The Poly Evolver Keyboard gives you both methods - scrolling and punching in.  It's so easy and convenient that you can create your own sort of banks within banks; meaning, you can organize programs in groups of tens and reach each one by keypad much more quickly than you could by scrolling.

I haven't used a Prophet 12, so I can't say if it offers the same keypad ease as the PEK.  And not to sound like a broken record, since I've said this so many times before, but Dave aimed high with the Poly Evolver Keyboard.  I only wish he would incorprate its many strengths into other instruments more than he thus far has.

The 12 has the same keypad feature. It even features "Live Set Mode" to organize favorites and access them quickly. For me the simplicity of the P6/OB6 layout is the best. I really hope they start to incorporate that into their future stuff....perhaps make it a "Sequential" exclusive? ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
The 12 has the same keypad feature. It even features "Live Set Mode" to organize favorites and access them quickly.

That's what I thought and hoped, but I couldn't say based on personal experience.  Then the Prophet 12 must be a pleasure to use.  It seems to have all the tools a sound designer could wish for.

dsetto

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
Let me just say. Wow! ... I am not sure I am able to translate my personal fun sessions to something other folks would appreciate. I will surely try to be useful.

I- as all of you- will always remain forever intrigued at the various paths. And they surely all have things. I come back here to communicate again, during my 30-day easy return period, that I am happy with this current path. There are certainly things in the other DSI offerings that intrigue. I am happy with the intersection in which I started. There are elements of the classic '08, of course. There are elements of the 12, OB-6, and 6. Each of those do what they do best, better. Surely. Though I wouldn't know. But, I like what this 2nd iteration of the '08 does. I always remain appreciative to quality discussions as is found on this forum. These discussions were very helpful in me forming a sense of things. In the end, I probably could have known nothing stated here, and have pick the synth based on what I wanted and been fine just as well. But, now I know more. :)

And the experience is more rewarding, overall. Wish you all well. Thanks.

dsetto

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
P.S. It was the OSC SLOP that led to my "oh, wow" moment. I was considering communicating that it's range be diminished. I.e., for traditional sounds, 30 was higher than the ceiling I was using. But I figured I'd give it some time; and see if I ever found a use for higher. 127, even. ... And I did. A different kind of pitch wheel. Same land. But very different.

So much so that I can imagine OSC SLOP plus either VCO-special filter variant would yield ___________ (positive) results.

And, for effects purposes, it going to "11" (i.e., 127) are a plus. And, it going to "3" (i.e., 30) are likely desirable for musical means as well.

dsetto

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
Post thought to that:

I am not sure I have a clear sense of '08 Rev1 v Rev2 re: programmed vs current parameter display. This very well may be an arena where there's an advantage in the Rev1. I am not complaining about Rev2 mind you. I don't know Rev1 workflow, and am quickly learning and adapting to R2's.

The [show MISC PARAMS] is a (or the) way in R2 how this arena is addressed.

That button's placement at least allows for easy 1-handed "plus" known operation with critical parameters. And possible 1-handed operations with a majority of the knobs.

Kudos to that workflow plus.

LoboLives

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
P.S. It was the OSC SLOP that led to my "oh, wow" moment. I was considering communicating that it's range be diminished. I.e., for traditional sounds, 30 was higher than the ceiling I was using. But I figured I'd give it some time; and see if I ever found a use for higher. 127, even. ... And I did. A different kind of pitch wheel. Same land. But very different.

So much so that I can imagine OSC SLOP plus either VCO-special filter variant would yield ___________ (positive) results.

And, for effects purposes, it going to "11" (i.e., 127) are a plus. And, it going to "3" (i.e., 30) are likely desirable for musical means as well.

I almost always have slop on or have an LFO modulating the second VCO but ever so slightly so that it drifts back and forth in tune with the first VCO.

Can the Slop knob be a destination for modulation on the Rev 2?

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
According to page 70 of the manual, slop is a mod destination.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

dsetto

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
Time has passed. Slowly spending time with Rev2.

Simply: I like it.

I prioritized wanted features over notions of 'inherent' qualities of sound. I cannot speak to paths I don't know. ... I'm pleased with the Rev2 as it is.

Everybody's got their own perspective. Best of luck when making your calls. Interpret what you read as you see fit.

dsetto

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
I like it, as it is. (I have yet to update beyond initial release OS 1.0.0.2).

I have a lot to learn about it, but it's been instantly usable and enjoyable.

Side note: I effortlessly dialed in a simple bass sound that satisfies my purposes.

My deepest gratitude to Dave Smith, Team DSI, folks related to the project, and all the posters in this forum community.

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 01:56:06 AM »

I agree. I also find this to be a pain for fast patch switches (and also agree that the bank knob does seem to be the best option). I wonder if there is a simple MIDI pedal switch that could be used to toggle through patches via MIDI in?

I use this for just that purpose: http://www.one-control.com/gecko-mkii-midi-switcher.html
Extremely simple and reliable. I've been using it for live performance for months with no issues, and my music requires some pretty rapid program changes. I set up a user bank for live use, and use the pedal in "Manual" mode.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
I use this for just that purpose: http://www.one-control.com/gecko-mkii-midi-switcher.html
Extremely simple and reliable. I've been using it for live performance for months with no issues, and my music requires some pretty rapid program changes. I set up a user bank for live use, and use the pedal in "Manual" mode.

Thanks for the tip! Looks great; I just one.
Any relation to Aron RA?

Thanks,
-Jason

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »

Thanks for the tip! Looks great; I just one.
Any relation to Aron RA?

Thanks,
-Jason

Quite welcome. And nope. Had never heard of him until right now.