Ok, talk me through it

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Ok, talk me through it
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
...But does the Rev 2 have that sound? Still waiting for user feedback on that point.

That's the $10,000 question.  Will those of us who love the Prophet '08/Tetra/Mopho sound be satisfied with the new successor?  I'm optimistic, but I still intend to do my own side-by-side comparisons..

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
You guys/galls are so far ahead of me  :). The Rev 2 will be my very first newly purchased "professional" synth. I used to own a second hand DX7 many many years ago, a second hand M1 a bit less many years ago .... It took me 30 years getting enough courage together starting to write my own stuff and be at peace with whatever other people think of it. So I am very much looking forward exploring the world of Dave Smith.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »
Can also relate to Dsetto's Rev 2/OB-6 dilemma. The OB-6 is the only other contender for me. Though my first hands-on experience with it was somewhat underwhelming (probably due to poor headphones), I plan to give it another go before making a decision. But if I opt for the OB-6, I would keep at least one Tetra just to have that Curtis sound.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »
You guys/galls are so far ahead of me  :). The Rev 2 will be my very first newly purchased "professional" synth. I used to own a second hand DX7 many many years ago, a second hand M1 a bit less many years ago .... It took me 30 years getting enough courage together starting to write my own stuff and be at peace with whatever other people think of it. So I am very much looking forward exploring the world of Dave Smith.

We're long-time DSI users, Gerry, and we've become ridiculously fickle with all things synthesizer.  Don't let our remarks and debates spoil your excitement. 

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the club!  While you'll hear lots of knit picking, any of the instruments are capable of creating satisfying and inspiring sounds.  I'm sure you will love the Rev 2.  I suggest that you get past the presets and get into the sound designing.  That's where the real fun is!

There are a lot of books out there about analog synth programming.  Also, be willing to ask questions here.  We are all learning on some level or another.  Most here are willing to provide good information to your questions.

Sound on Sound magazine had a sixty part series called "Synth Secrets".  It's available on the net.  It goes through a lot of areas of programming at a beginner level. It's very educational. 

If you haven't done so already, look into computer based recording gear.  You will see the acronym "DAW" which stands for digital audio workstation.  If you are planning to record your music, it is well worth your while.    There's a lot of capable software out there.  I use Sonar and am very happy with it.   
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jim, much appreciated. I will certainly checkout your suggestions.

I have been moving from the "theoretical" to the "practical" understanding and applying what I know over the last two years. Before that it was just dipping my toes into the composing and sound design world, "acquiring" the courage and confidence  ;). I have learned one big lesson: immediacy is very important for me. Having direct access and immediate feedback when changing settings really works for me. For sound design a computer interface takes that immediacy away. I believe from what I read, heard and seen here and on the Internet, the Prophet Rev 2 (or the Prophet 8 even) would be a great way to continue this discovery.

Regarding the DAW, I got into using Bitwig (on Windoze) two years ago for composing and "glueing" softsynths and external gear together. I really like Bitwig and of course it doesn't compare to my previous experience with a DAW: Ballade and the LAPC-I card on good old MS-DOS ;-). For recording, mixing and mastering I use Audacity and Ardour under Ubuntu Linux. Also a field where there is a many great things to learn.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:53:32 PM by Gerry Havinga »

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
I have learned one big lesson: immediacy is very important for me. Having direct access and immediate feedback when changing settings really works for me.

That's a quality that most of us share on this site.  Even when I was young, I don't think menu diving would have played well with my brain.  The menu diving on the DX-7 kept me away from it for decades.

The P-12 M probably has the most dives but still is pretty friendly.

I'll be eager to hear your favorite sounds after you have played with it for a few month. Everybody is drawn different directions.  It will be interesting which way you go.

Also, nobody has been able to live with a Rev 2 for any length of time.  It will be interesting to see the reviews after people have been able to spend some time on it.  Heck, you may end being the first really serious reviewer!   ;D
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

dsetto

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 02:00:38 PM »
My jitters have lessened a lot. For me, today, the positives of the Prophet Rev2 path outweigh the positives of the other path. (My "today" has been long, long enough to feel comfortable about it.) ... I'm going to continue keeping that other possibility out of mind for a bit.
---
Sometimes there's a time for a deeper focus of a particular attribute. Sometimes, there's a time for a more feature-laden tool. Sometimes the conscious choice is the wrong one. Or, maybe it really was just right. :)

... All good stuff. Thank you, all.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
Good to hear dsetto, sorry I hijacked your thread a bit.

My own choice of selection would have been between the DM12 and the Prophet Rev 2. I have no experience (yet) with sound design on one of Dave's instruments and was taken in by all the hype Uwe's announcements caused. Several shops and even my own son, convinced me not to go for the DM12 ..... so here I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ordered Rev 2 ;-).

After checking all the specs (especially the sequencer part) I am now entirely convinced I am making the right choice. I really love the way Sacred Synthesis is using the stacked Prophets and this might be an inspiration for me in the (long term) to continue the DSI route .... we will see.

dsetto

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
Not a digression, at all. ... I appreciate the DM. My mind's been set on a DSI poly for too long. I played the DM the day before the Rev2 was announced, and for that day I was sincerely intrigued for its voice count.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
I really love the way Sacred Synthesis is using the stacked Prophets and this might be an inspiration for me in the (long term) to continue the DSI route .... we will see.

The beautiful thing is, one sixteen-voice Prophet Rev2 will be equivalent to a Prophet '08 Keyboard-Module pair.  In that way, you'll be starting ahead of where I started, because it was some time before I added a module to my keyboard.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »
I did order the 8 voice version though. If I want to I can always upgrade later of course.  As this is my first DSI synth and I am watching the cash flow ;-).

But having two separate synths does make some sense. It's not just that you obtain more voices, but you also get two extra timbres (patches/programs) to play with. A combination of a Rev 2 keyboard and a Prophet 8 module gives 4 timbres and 16 voices, if I understand correctly how it works. By having a 16 voice Rev 2 you "only" get two timbres.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:44:30 PM by Gerry Havinga »

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
Though my first hands-on experience with it was somewhat underwhelming (probably due to poor headphones), I plan to give it another go before making a decision.

Had a chance to try the OB-6 out with better headphones, and it was a much better experience. Heard it through some good monitors, too. Man, that filter. There's nothing like it. For me that sound is the epitome of "synthesizer." However, the REV 2 is the consummate synthesizer. It's perfect in so many ways, and the sound is quite lovely and to be desired. For these reasons I am now considering keeping my Tetras, adding the OB-6 module, and controlling them all with the Pro 2. I can't afford both, which is what makes this decision so difficult. But part of me feels that if I don't get the Obie, I'll regret it.

Dsetto, not trying to shake your confidence in the Rev 2. As I mentioned, it's sizing up to be a perfect synthesizer. Just wanted to share some relevant thoughts and experience.

DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

dsetto

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 12:30:07 AM »
I got to spend one session with a Rev2. I bother continuing this in case others are interested; and I have lots to learn.

On one hand, I know my breadth of knowledge and experience for each of DSI's 3 current top tier analogs is not vast. Yet, I feel I have a decent & deep sense of each. But I am quickly humbled by knowing there's so much sonic terrain each can do, well beyond my command.

As framework, the Rev2 is my first Prophet, and first deep programmable polyphonic. I have spent time with a few other synthesizers.

Several observations. ...

From a wide lens, they're all analog synthesizers. And the one with you is the only one- that matters. The same can be said about all keyboard instruments, even all instruments, and all things. On the other hand, each synthesizer truly is different. For every synthesizer with which I have spent quality, memorable time, each feels like a distinct instrument. And I don't know if there is a better or worse. Each different, each with a particular set of attributes providing a sense of its range. And each instrument is different in different hands, different minds.

I do not think a Saw is a Saw is a Saw- when I've got my macro lens on. (They are just about the same from a "normal" lens.) Same applies to the other elements.

And so my original question remains the same. My original balance, the same. For me, today, Rev2>OB-6/P6. For me, under a different circumstance, that balance could differ.

I've already got a basic handle of the Rev2 with eventually just one quick glance at finding Basic Patch.

From my initial, raw elements exploration, I can already hear where OB-6 & P6 shine. And the converse is true with respect to Rev2.

I can see how those well versed in these things will find these comparisons tired. As I am new, I am amazed by how these things can be so similar and also so different. Their very existence, their irreconcilable differences seem to forever perpetuate our musings.

And so while I know today I wanted 61 keys, bitimbral, 16 voices, and a sonic playground, I appreciate the existence of two flavors of fixed knob-to-function instruments whose sound inspires effortlessly.

All the imagining I did is turning out true. The pleasant surprise I had was the nice, satisfying "contemporary" sounds I got on my first explorations.

Thank you, all. I'm looking forward to your synthesis musings, on screen and air.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:22:14 AM by dsetto »

LoboLives

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
Question. Are there cursor buttons to select patches or is it by dial only?

dsetto

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
I didn't notice. I'll look when I'm next at it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
Dsetto -

Similar to your conclusions, I doubt if I've ever played a synthesizer that I didn't like.  It's one reason I'm glad I don't do the music store circuit.  If I did, I'd want everything I ever saw, heard, or tried.  Fortunately, the decision doesn't come down simply to what is good; it comes down also to what best fits one's actual needs.  If you're somewhat new to synthesis and are not so familiar with your needs, then you're entering an experimental period in which you'll certainly learn what they are, regardless of which instrument you buy.  But if you do understand your musical needs, then pick the instrument that best serves them. 

dsetto

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
Well said. Yes, I've followed my musical needs on this one. And already know I'm sticking with it.

-
Lobo- I only found patch change by dial, not cursor. (I haven't read manual yet.)

-
As expected, Shape Mod has useful and enjoyable affect on the non-pulse forms.

But, a dual rig can have an A & B sound each with its own knobs and manual always ready.

There clearly is no one path. Many, many existing right now.

dsetto

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 03:18:45 AM »
I am bonding with it. In each session, I find myself in situations only possible with it.

For me today, its bitimbrality is its essential characteristic. My space is limited, and I cherish a portable, feature-rich instrument.

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 04:34:28 AM »
Question. Are there cursor buttons to select patches or is it by dial only?

definitely no curser like the moog little phatty stage II; horrible menu diving.

i really appreciate the simplicity of the interface and that there is no curser :D