sequencer question

sequencer question
« on: November 13, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
anyone know how to get the noise channel to play with no oscilator firing when building a gated sequence? 

for example, i want a few steps of a pitch going down a few whole steps, then on steps 4 thru 16 i just want noise

ive tried all of the various sequence modes but it seems like i cant find a combination where i can hear only the noise and not have the oscillator still firing.  i even tried setting the env3 to flip the osc mix to be totally on osc2 and have osc2 be off but i can still hear osc1 bleeding through a touch.  this seems like it shouldn't be that hard, anyone know how?  hopefully this question is clear. 

panic

Re: sequencer question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:39 AM »
First of all, I have no experience with the rev 2, but I have quite some with the prophet 8 and mopho. And I think you figured out how to do it theoretically, turn osc 2 off and set osc mix to 100% osc 2 for the notes you don’t want to hear (but I don’t understand what you are using env 3 for). So, on the P8, I would have done it like this:
-   Make a program with osc 2 off
-   Sequencer 1: destination osc 1 freq; program the notes you want to hear on steps 1 -2 -3. For the other steps, you will also need to program notes, if you program rests, the envelopes will not trigger.
-   Sequencer 2: destination noise level; program noise on the steps you want (so 4 up to 16)
-   Sequencer 3: destination osc mix; program 0% for steps 1-2-3; 100 % for the other steps

Some notes:
-   I noticed in the rev 2 manual that osc 1 level is also a modulation destination. This was not the case with the prophet 8. So instead of using osc mix as destination for sequencer 3, perhaps you can just try osc 1 level and see if it works
-   If in any of the above scenarios you still hear osc 1 bleeding through, there are perhaps some workarounds which could minimize it:
o   Program the notes on steps 4 to 16 as high as possible, and try to filter osc bleed out with the lowpass filter
o   Program the notes on steps 4 to 16 as low as possible, and try to filter osc bleed out with the highpass filter
o   If you use pulse as the shape for osc 1, use sequencer 4 to modulate the pulse-width (shape). Set pulse-width to 0% or 100% for the steps you don’t want to hear (very narrow pulses eventually become inaudible, or will at least be more quiet)

Re: sequencer question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
anyone know how to get the noise channel to play with no oscilator firing when building a gated sequence? 

for example, i want a few steps of a pitch going down a few whole steps, then on steps 4 thru 16 i just want noise

ive tried all of the various sequence modes but it seems like i cant find a combination where i can hear only the noise and not have the oscillator still firing.  i even tried setting the env3 to flip the osc mix to be totally on osc2 and have osc2 be off but i can still hear osc1 bleeding through a touch.  this seems like it shouldn't be that hard, anyone know how?  hopefully this question is clear.

You will need some Osc in there to give it a pitch. Noise does not have any pitch as far as I know.