Amplitude Envelope curves

Amplitude Envelope curves
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
I'm trying to make some long, simple, slow swelling pads. However, the attack of the amplitude envelope sounds like a log curve like this:

So when I play a note, there is quite a bit of lag before I hear anything.

Is there any way I can flatten this out? This is my first adult synth, so I'm still getting used to it, but I was able to get swells of this nature on my little MiniNova and my Roland.

I found the parts in the manual that allow the user to change the curve on the Filter envelope- it seems possible there is a corresponding curve for the Amplitude one as well.

Or I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Re: Amplitude Envelope curves
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
I'm trying to make some long, simple, slow swelling pads. However, the attack of the amplitude envelope sounds like a log curve like this:

It's not quite that bad - having an exponential curve like that would be unusable for pads or indeed any slow attacks. The actual curve is S-shaped (I recorded a note and checked it in editor), so there is still a very significant delay before there is any audible sound. Using a 1 second rise time (time from 10% to 90% output), there's an additional 0.33 second delay before any audible output (where the output is below -20 dB of final output). Or to put it another way in case anyone from DSI is listening, there is effective midi (or keyboard) lag of 25% of attack time. For any even slightly smooth sounds that's worse than the notoriously sluggish digitally controlled polysynths of the early / mid 80s.

As for getting this fixed, the chances are pretty much zero. DSI is known to to be extremely stingy with firmware updates and they're going to just claim this is a "feature".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:30:26 PM by Antti »

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »
Doesn't seem right, do you also have a slow envelope controlling the filter cutoff? I ask because if the filter starts at a very low frequency that could also be why the first part of each note seems silent. Try turning the cutoff all the way up and set the Env Amount to Filter at zero. Does your slow Amp envelope still have silence at the beginning?

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »
Doesn't seem right, do you also have a slow envelope controlling the filter cutoff?

It's not. One of the first places I looked.

I ask because if the filter starts at a very low frequency that could also be why the first part of each note seems silent. Try turning the cutoff all the way up and set the Env Amount to Filter at zero. Does your slow Amp envelope still have silence at the beginning?

I tried this out.  Actually, I was thinking the opposite of you- I was wondering if I could get something that felt more responsive by using a much faster attack in the amplitude env and a slower envelope on the low pass filter. So I'm definitely picking up what you are putting down.