Computer Music

cbx

Computer Music
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:42:33 AM »
Mainly I develop computer music. Long time ago I got a book, actually two books. One about computer generated music, and another by Hal Chamberlin on how to build a synthesizer. I never built Hal Chamberlin's synthesizer, but it also contained lots of info about generating computer music.

Now I use Python, which was my incentive to share scripts since I use the Mopho. I find the mopho has a good voice and when I put 12 of them togethor I have more or less an Oberheim Matrix-12. Or I put two keyboards and two tetras and I have my sequential mopho-10. Stuff like that. So I have a bunch of Mopho's because I like the modular format of the little boxes.

Anyone else use alot of computer algorithmic generation to make their music/sound designs? I had some other book also was very rare all in basic I need to go find these books I hope they aren't lost again.

chysn

Re: Computer Music
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
First off: Ten Mophos is awesome. People are going to ask you why not just get a Prophet 08 and two Prophet 08 modules for about the same price. Tell those people they can piss off, because ten Mophos is awesome.

Back on topic: It's been a lifelong interest of mine, and I've done algorithmic composition, composition based on coded information (for example, a method for converting chess games into music written in ARexx for Amiga). My experiments have hardly ever yielded anything anybody would want to listen to.

Nowadays, I'm more interested in generative techniques for modular than I am in computer algorithms. My primary question is: What would a conscious music-generating system look like? I'm of the school of thought that holds that substrate doesn't matter when it comes to consciousness. And so consciousness can be achieved in not only water-and-carbon instruments, like us, but also in analog electronics and, of course, computers.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

cbx

Re: Computer Music
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
I just like the Mopho, does all I need. If I found a Prophet 08 I would add it to them but I really don't play keyboard (I'm a guitarist whose hand is now defunct) so I really love analog modular step sequencing and the Mopho is the cheapest semi-modular system around, even when they were new they have 4 lfo's and a 4 modulation bays so with the sequencers it's almost a tiny modular in a desktop box. I got the keyboard mostly to make programming easier. If I only could build a seq4 box to step sequence it like the Korg SQ-1 I would be very happy.

It sounds like you have done alot of algorithmic arts, I am getting back into it but now using Python. I gave up synthesis on computers long ago due to crashing all the time and with my cheap sound card it will just lock up in threads and who needs it when you have mophos and tetras anyways.