Tempest Issue - Buzzing noise

Tempest Issue - Buzzing noise
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Hey guys! Just received my NAMM Demo Tempest and i'm noticing that its producing a high-pitched buzzing noise near the top right of the instrument right by the screen. Is this normal, or should the machine be completely silent? I have only the power supply connected and no TS cables. I would appreciate any help, thanks!

RobH

Re: Tempest Issue - Buzzing noise
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
edit - ignore me im usually wrong.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:23:47 PM by RobH »

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
Hey guys! Just received my NAMM Demo Tempest and i'm noticing that its producing a high-pitched buzzing noise near the top right of the instrument right by the screen. Is this normal, or should the machine be completely silent? I have only the power supply connected and no TS cables. I would appreciate any help, thanks!

The actual Tempest itself is buzzing???

No thats not right its silent. The actual audio can have aslight buzz because its analog but the actual hardware drum machine is silent no buzzing near any screen

Yes, the top-right side of the tempest right by the screen is generating a high-pitched buzzing noise. I contacted DSI support and they stated that this is normal and should be expected from the OLED refreshing. Can anyone confirm? Thank you.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
Hi ReyX,

I responded to your inquiry through our technical support channel.  The buzzing you are hearing is expected and is due to the refresh rate of the OLED display.  Nothing is wrong with your Tempest in this regard.

Hope this helps!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

RobH

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi ReyX,

I responded to your inquiry through our technical support channel.  The buzzing you are hearing is expected and is due to the refresh rate of the OLED display.  Nothing is wrong with your Tempest in this regard.

Hope this helps!

Oh wow, damn you must have good ears I literally had to put my ear on my Tempest to hear that, so yeah its just the screen refresh, I hear it on mine too, normal it seems.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
RobH....looks like you got one right this time;) I thought your earlier comment was awesome!! Woot!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
RobH....looks like you got one right this time;) I thought your earlier comment was awesome!! Woot!

It was a 100% fluke xD

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
Bring da noizzzzzz 8)

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
My Tempest also has a buzzing at the screen, but it's only heard if I put my ear right next to it. I can't hear otherwise and was never aware of it till this post!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
*Phew*

Thought I was going crazy  ;D

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:55 AM »
You must have the ears of a bat!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
Seriously...ReyX go get yourself in the Guiness Book of World Records. Your mixes must be very detailed. 
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

hd

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 01:51:28 AM »
I notice that on some modes like on "show system information" (press both shifts and system to get to it) the noise is gone.

The screen is mostly black-out so my guess is the acoustic noise is because of the "fat" turquoise upper and lower raw with the inverted fonts.

If a programmer will ever chime in and upgrade the tempest OS (and read this in part of his resource work) please invert the colored raw to black on every mode. I think it will also look nicer.

Interesting thing is (please test it yourself), it seems the noise from the screen is bleeding to the main audio output.
On "show system information" the self noise floor on the main audio output is lower for about -6dBs on my system!!

I checked it with an analyzer and it seems there is a drastic lower noise from about 10kHz and up on this mode.
You can still press play so if you want to record with the highest SNR get to this mode before recording :)

BTW,  my mixes sucks