New Rev2 demo video

New Rev2 demo video
« on: May 18, 2017, 06:32:40 AM »
I went to visit the DSI office the other day and managed to record a demo of the Rev2.

https://youtu.be/_WFM--WmT2M

Sacred Synthesis

Re: New Rev2 demo video
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
I've been following your excellent videos on the Pro 2.  Well done on all of them, including this new one on the Rev2 as well.  I enjoy your enthusiasm for the instruments. 

As an enthusiastic Prophet '08 fan, I was surprised at the Rev2 factory programs.  They sounded, well, rather Prophet 12-ish, with an emphasis placed on the harsh, the cold, and the edgy.  For certain, there were a few smooth and soft patches, but most were on the gritty side.

I realize it comes down to how one chooses to use the instrument, but I've always found the Prophet '08 to be exceptional at producing dark, soft, warm, and rich patches - strings, brass, flutes, and organ, as well as imaginative ethereal pads.  There seems to be a noticeable lack of such patches in the factory programs.  it was not what I expected from the successor of the Prophet '08.

It may be only a matter of the programs you chose to include in the video, and that factory programs are generally used to show off the capabilities of an instrument, rather than its musicality and charm, but the consistent nature of the sounds was striking to me.     
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:11:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »
Not that it matters much one way or another, as we all have our preferences, but the Prophet Rev2 in our demo room was not yet loaded with the final factory programs at the time this lovely demonstration was filmed. We weren't finished with them yet! In general though, I'd say that the Rev2 factory programs offer a larger variety than the P08 factory programs did.
SEQUENTIAL

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:33 AM »
Probably the nicest sounding Rev2 demo I've heard. I'm not a big fan of factory presets anyway. Even on my Prophet 6, I moved all the original Prophet 5 patches to the front, saved maybe...jeeze less than 10 of the factory patches and erased all the rest (initialized sound saved as a preset). I probably saved maybe 2-3 factory presets on my Sub 37. I'll probably do the same with the Rev2 should I decide to get it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:29 AM »
Personally, I'd like to have no factory programs at all, but only init sounds or blanks from one end of the banks to the other.  Which would make no sense!  But I don't ever use factory programs and would prefer to eliminate all of them and start fresh.  But I appreciate that they're there - partly or mostly - for instrument demonstration purposes.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Personally, I'd like to have no factory programs at all, but only init sounds or blanks from one end of the banks to the other.  Which would make no sense!  But I don't ever use factory programs and would prefer to eliminate all of them and start fresh.  But I appreciate that they're there - partly or mostly - for instrument demonstration purposes.

Or just for inspirational purposes as well. There were a few Prophet 6 factory patches I loved and modified slightly. I guess it really just depends on what the user's intention is for the instrument.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
Or just for inspirational purposes as well. There were a few Prophet 6 factory patches I loved and modified slightly. I guess it really just depends on what the user's intention is for the instrument.

Some of the sounds Bloodsample used were quite beautiful, and he provided decent musical uses.  I've listened to the demo several times now and really enjoy it.   I'm only suggesting that the factory programs include a larger assortment of more traditional sounds.

This is what I would have included in the factory programs: several types of brass patches, both with and without PWM, that do not use resonance; a variety of warm string patches with envelopes for both fast and slow playing; drawbar organ patches that lack vibrato, Leslie, percussion, and distortion effects; pipe organ-like patches with the necessary immediate attack and release times; PWM piano with differing release times; harpsichord; a small variety of monophonic patches that resemble flute and reed sounds; and of course, a couple of superb sawtooth lead patches.  That would amount to perhaps thirty patches - quite a few, I realize, but I believe they would be appreciated by many musicians, in part because they're generic and would serve many different musical circumstances.  They might even musically influence people in the way they use the instrument.

Perhaps the Rev2 has these patches and I'll be pleasantly surprised. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:38:14 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Perversely, I enjoy reverse-engineering the few factory programs that I like on any given instrument, and then try reprogramming them on a different instrument.  I did that before I sold the P12 and made some great sounds on the P'08 as a result.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
There's plenty of room for that.  I'm only suggesting additional types of programs.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 07:22:57 AM »
For what it's worth there were a TON more presets on this machine, I only left in the ones that spoke to me personally, so the video is definitely biased towards my taste. But there were all kinds of basses, leads, harsher sounds, softer sounds, etc. I think the palette is definitely vast so don't judge the overall sounds too harshly based on my demo. :)

On that note, here's another demo I recorded while there, this time pairing the Prophet 6 with the Rev2.
https://youtu.be/v2ESZ2c-TY0

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
For what it's worth there were a TON more presets on this machine, I only left in the ones that spoke to me personally, so the video is definitely biased towards my taste. But there were all kinds of basses, leads, harsher sounds, softer sounds, etc. I think the palette is definitely vast so don't judge the overall sounds too harshly based on my demo. :)

On that note, here's another demo I recorded while there, this time pairing the Prophet 6 with the Rev2.
https://youtu.be/v2ESZ2c-TY0

Was hoping to here two sequences going on the Rev2 while the 6 did a lead or something. Darn. Sounds good tho.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

No harshness intended.  I'm just trying to get a sense of the programs from what I've heard.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:21:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

DiScO

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
Sorry if i missed it somewhere along the line, is this the 8 or 16 voice version? I think i noticed some note stealing in the demo on the rather nice pad @ 1.17/18.

Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
Ran into this vid on a couple of blogs before I saw it posted here - great work, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!