Subsequent37

chysn

Subsequent37
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
https://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-subsequent-37-cv

Somewhat cool. It has CV outs, which Moog really resisted for a while. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the idea of "assignable" CV outs.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

Re: Subsequent37
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »
https://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-subsequent-37-cv

Somewhat cool. It has CV outs, which Moog really resisted for a while. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the idea of "assignable" CV outs.
I'd like to see CV inputs... but... baby steps. 
... and are these CV outs Eurorack compatible.  Is it a matter of simply getting 1/4" to 1/8" cables?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »

It has the same CV inputs that the Sub37 has, from what it looks like. The inputs are on the left side, the new outputs are on the right side.

... and are these CV outs Eurorack compatible.  Is it a matter of simply getting 1/4" to 1/8" cables?

Yeah, totally. Moog uses (invented?) volt-per-octave CV. The pitch CV out on my Little Phatty is spot-on perfect over six octaves, and goes negative, so it's a beautiful eurorack controller. I just keep some Hosa 1/4" to 1/8" cables hanging out of it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
It has the same CV inputs that the Sub37 has, from what it looks like. The inputs are on the left side, the new outputs are on the right side.
Damn it... I meant assignable CV inputs.  I need more coffee.   Anyway, thanks for the response.  I wasn't sure if the 1/4" format used by Moog was the same voltage and range as Eurorack.  I am new to thinking about modular gear.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:04 AM »
I'm still somewhat skeptical of the idea of "assignable" CV outs.

Expand on this a bit–why so?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

chysn

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43:45 AM »
I'm still somewhat skeptical of the idea of "assignable" CV outs.

Expand on this a bit–why so?

I guess it depends on how they're assigned. If it's a global assignment (like Minitaur's CV ins), then that's great, and I'd appreciate the flexibility. If it's assignment-per-program (like Pro2), then I think it would get annoying having to re-patch things when changing a program, or having to remember how a program's CV works. I've got five cables coming from the right side of my Little Phatty, and I know what they all send, and I just grab them as needed without having to look anything up.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 05:16:41 AM »
Damn it... I meant assignable CV inputs.  I need more coffee.   Anyway, thanks for the response.  I wasn't sure if the 1/4" format used by Moog was the same voltage and range as Eurorack.  I am new to thinking about modular gear.

Assignable CV inputs are already a given since firmware version 1.1, i.e. for about two years.

From the manual:

"The CV MAPPING submenu allows you to map the external PITCH CV, VOLUME CV and KB GATE inputs to various parameters and functions. The CV mapping of PITCH CV and VOLUME CV to a desired parameter allows you to connect a continuous controller pedal (with a 1/4” TRS plug) to one of the CV inputs and then directly control the mapped parameter. The KB GATE input is similar but uses a 1/4” TS footswitch and typically controls switch-based parameters."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
Moog says they're going to build only 2,000 Subsequent 37's.  And then what - back to the inferior Sub 37?  They've made some meaningful improvements to the instrument.  I'd especially appreciate the added headroom that would avoid distortion.  I hope Moog soon makes a permanent upgrade to the Old Sub 37...and keeps the nice wood side cheeks, too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:06:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
And then what - back to the inferior Sub 37? 
Now we know why it's called the "Sub" 37.  (?)    8)

chysn

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Just replace the Sub37 if you've designed something better. Everything needs to be a limited edition with those guys.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Everything needs to be a limited edition with those guys.
Exactly... It's almost as if they are trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »
Why not just make a Midi to CV adapter for the Sub 37? Why waste the R&D on this when you could put it towards doing a Polyphonic synth?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
Moogsters have been pleading for a polyphonic synthesizer for years.  The forum is full of such discussions.  But so far, nothing from the company.  The closest has been the combining of several Slim Phatties, but even that possibility was discouraged when the module was discontinued.  I don't think it will ever happen.  That's why we have DSI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yhRJE89V70
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:20:28 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
Why not just make a Midi to CV adapter for the Sub 37? Why waste the R&D on this when you could put it towards doing a Polyphonic synth?

If I recall correctly*, the Sub37's architecture isn't friendly to a native CV out kit as was the Little Phatty. If you're stuck with MIDI-to-CV, you're better off using something like Yarns to interface with eurorack.

As for the Moog Poly... Jeep is finally making a Wrangler Pickup, so I guess anything is possible.

* I don't feel like looking it up, but I read something by Amos or someone somewhere.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

If I recall correctly*, the Sub37's architecture isn't friendly to a native CV out kit as was the Little Phatty. If you're stuck with MIDI-to-CV, you're better off using something like Yarns to interface with eurorack.

As for the Moog Poly... Jeep is finally making a Wrangler Pickup, so I guess anything is possible.

* I don't feel like looking it up, but I read something by Amos or someone somewhere.

Even if an adapter wasn't possible this just seems like such a step back for Moog.