presets info

presets info
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:13:34 AM »
Hi there,

While using the prophet 6 there are some presets that I really like but I find difficult to imagine all the different parameters that create the patch. Is there any source with the information for every parameter (like a booklet, etc)? I would find that very helpful to learn synthesis and sound design.

Many thanks guys!

Re: presets info
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:38:16 AM »
If you can connect the Prophet 6 to a Mac or PC... download the free demo version of the Soundtower editor. You can use this to view all the parameter settings for a particular sound. I've found it very useful for reverse engineering some sounds I liked but couldn't quite understand.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
If you can connect the Prophet 6 to a Mac or PC... download the free demo version of the Soundtower editor. You can use this to view all the parameter settings for a particular sound. I've found it very useful for reverse engineering some sounds I liked but couldn't quite understand.

Hey Fuseball, thanks for that. I knew about the editor but couldn't find a demo version. Is there a demo of it? I just can't find the link!

That is a great idea to learn about the different presets!

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
Hey Fuseball, thanks for that. I knew about the editor but couldn't find a demo version. Is there a demo of it? I just can't find the link!

That is a great idea to learn about the different presets!
Sorry, forgot to mention that the demo is the same as the full version downloadable from here...

http://soundtower.com/prophet6/prophet6_download.html

It pops up with a screen asking for a registration code. Just click on the 'Demo Mode' button.

It's a slightly buggy bit of software. You might need to play with MIDI Setup a bit to get the P6 recognised. I've found it works best for me over USB. The P6 needs to be powered on and connected before opening the editor. Once connected, I recommend doing MIDI > Receive Banks. This will make sure that the editor is in sync with the programs already present in your P6. The demo mode doesn't allow you to send values to the P6, only read them. It does, however, track any knob or button movements you make on the P6. When you change program on the P6 it should display that program's settings. If in doubt you can always do MIDI > Receive Current Program.

Hope that helps.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
Many thanks! Just installed it and seems to work fine so far. Really cool to see all the settings of each preset on the screen. So much to learn and experiment.

I am not that bothered to move knobs from the screen affecting the P6 so this demo version seems to be what I need!

Cheers man!