Using Pan in the mod section

RobH

Using Pan in the mod section
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Is there a way to get pan to control a sound over the whole stero width? I want to play leads that pan to different L+R over controlled by pitch primarily, I have tried the Note Number and this seems to kind of work but only from the extreme L or R to the centre, so the pan never falls to the other channel.

Not sure if there is a way to do this as all the vaules are + or - but if anyone knows how I could acheive this is would be great just to save some automation really!

Thanks

Re: Using Pan in the mod section
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
i think you need to assign the sound to a voice to get panning happening properly...?

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Note number is always positive so I think to get that to work you'd have to pan hard left in the mixer and then set the mod amount to max in the matrix.

This may not work though - haven't tried it.

It can be a bit confusing as (from memory)  some mod sources are 0 to 1 and others are - 1 to +1, I think saw LFOs for example are always positive whereas square and triangle are negative and positive.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »
Would you be ppen to performing it? If so assign a ribbon to control pan while the lead plays.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
Would you be ppen to performing it? If so assign a ribbon to control pan while the lead plays.

Thanks guys, I tried hard panning it but it didn't quite work as expected or I wanted i can't remember if it just brought me back to 0 from the hard pan or if it was just not doing as i really wanted it to do.

I'll just automate it after probably lol

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
So did you try:
Mod Matrix:
Slider1 - 0 - Pan

If slider 1 is set to +/- then fully up / down should pan hard left/right.

It's a guess but I am pretty sure it works that way.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »
Thanks Lucid I'll look into that!

Is the assignment "note number" the number of the pad the note is played from or a static midi number corresponding to the pitch or the number of the note in a sequence? Thank

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
In your mixer pan your sound hard left and then using Note Number assigned to Pan in the mod matrix will make it pan over the whole stereo field controlled by pitch.  You can use multiple Mod Matrix slots to fine tune the panning too, like:

1. Note Number to Pan (+127)
2. Note Number to Pan (+127)
3. Note Number to Pan (+45)

This gave me a much more workable range where the notes I was using panned how I liked them.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:35:13 AM »
I tested this out. For the slider to work in the mod matrix you have to hard pan as well. Ex:
Hard Pan Left
Mod: slider1 +127 - pan. The problem here is the sound is always hard panned unless you keep your finger in the middle of the slider.  A setting of Zero does nothing.

Solution:
Use note FX
Slider1 +- Assigned to Pan. All works as it should. Down goes left. Up goes right.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
In your mixer pan your sound hard left and then using Note Number assigned to Pan in the mod matrix will make it pan over the whole stereo field controlled by pitch.  You can use multiple Mod Matrix slots to fine tune the panning too, like:

This gave me a much more workable range where the notes I was using panned how I liked them.

Adam thanks mate! Ill try this again when I get back! Usinv more than one mod slot for the same assignment is something I would never have thought of lol! I'll have to try this on other areas like maybe 2 x noise sources etc

Also thanks Lucid I'll give both these a test

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »

Adam thanks mate! Ill try this again when I get back! Usinv more than one mod slot for the same assignment is something I would never have thought of lol! I'll have to try this on other areas like maybe 2 x noise sources etc

Also thanks Lucid I'll give both these a test

Like you'd imagine it works for some things and not others, depends on both the source and destination.  Basically if I'm not getting the result I want with one mod slot, I try adding another!