Gate Out Question

Gate Out Question
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
Hi Folks,

Newbie and proud Pro 2 owner, here.

Quick question-  I've been trying to use the Pro 2 to control an Oberheim SEM module.  Pitch is fine, but the gate out isn't triggering the SEM's envelope properly.  It's almost too powerful?  If I set the SEM for a fast attack and decay (percussive-like) and close the filter, it's as if the filter is still open and the decay only changes marginally.

I tested the SEM with a MIDI-CV controller, and the envelopes worked fine.  I also tried using an envelope to CV out on the Pro2, and it worked better. 

Am I doing something wrong with the gate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Malkit

PS-  I think this synth is going to be a classic for the ages.  It really has no overlap with anything else in my studio, and the soundset and feature list are incredibly diverse.

Re: Gate Out Question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi Folks,

Newbie and proud Pro 2 owner, here.

Quick question-  I've been trying to use the Pro 2 to control an Oberheim SEM module.  Pitch is fine, but the gate out isn't triggering the SEM's envelope properly.  It's almost too powerful?  If I set the SEM for a fast attack and decay (percussive-like) and close the filter, it's as if the filter is still open and the decay only changes marginally.

I tested the SEM with a MIDI-CV controller, and the envelopes worked fine.  I also tried using an envelope to CV out on the Pro2, and it worked better. 

Am I doing something wrong with the gate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Malkit

PS-  I think this synth is going to be a classic for the ages.  It really has no overlap with anything else in my studio, and the soundset and feature list are incredibly diverse.

Original SEM, or Tom O reissue?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
TO reissue.  I wish it were an original!  For whatever reason, it's just not triggering.  Every other gate in my studio can do it (Sh-101, modular CV->MIDI converter, Expert Sleepers, ATC-1).  I just get the strange feeling that I'm overlooking something embarrassingly obvious!

BTW- how do you like the p600, after the gligli mod?  I have mine sitting on the bench, but I've been strangely gun shy of changing over.  Did it still maintain its dark, melancholy soul?  I guess I'm afraid that it will get smarter, but less attractive.

;)

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
I had an SEM a few years ago (the re-issue). I seem to remember there was an internal jumper that could modify the way it responded to gates/triggers. You might do a search regarding that possibility.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:20:13 PM by soundxplorer »

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
TO reissue.  I wish it were an original!  For whatever reason, it's just not triggering.  Every other gate in my studio can do it (Sh-101, modular CV->MIDI converter, Expert Sleepers, ATC-1).  I just get the strange feeling that I'm overlooking something embarrassingly obvious!

BTW- how do you like the p600, after the gligli mod?  I have mine sitting on the bench, but I've been strangely gun shy of changing over.  Did it still maintain its dark, melancholy soul?  I guess I'm afraid that it will get smarter, but less attractive.

;)

OT: yes, and I love it for that dark, melancholy sound, along with some new tricks! Makes a nice companion to the Pro-2.

I've got a MIDI-to-CV SEM reissue (which has an NEWSEM9 PCB, slightly different to the patchpanel NEWSEM5D), so I've been using the MIDI input at the moment. I'd check the gate and trig jumpers as mentioned above (there are at least four combinations).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:54:52 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, folks.  I'm going to have at the manual, tonight, and see if I can figure this out.

Nothing beats the sound of the SEM running through the Pro 2's audio input.  The way DSI set up the architecture, you can essentially swap in new oscillators and run them through as if they were "native".

Once I tighten up the gate/trigs, it's going to be a real beast. 

Such a thoughtful, well-appointed synth.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
Yes, the SEM/Pro 2 combo makes for some gorgeous sounds. Had the MIDI-CV model reissue and loved what it sounded like through the 4-pole low pass on the Pro 2 (with some help from the SEM filter at times). Very rich tone.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad