Practical questions on working with the sequencer

Practical questions on working with the sequencer
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:05:36 AM »
Hi,
 I'd like to know how you guys are working with the sequencer. My questions are more regarding note length management.
So, we have a step sequencer but there is no predefined length to each note.
Basically, each step has the same length at start.
Then I can create ties to make longer notes.

My problems:
- I need to know in advance what the smallest note will be and what its multiple will be otherwise I will not be able to achieve the pattern I want (on the other side, it gives me the chance to discover other patterns  ;) )
- when creating ties, it erases the next steps. Wouldn't it be useful to have some kind of "Insert" option as on our PC keyboards; option that would shift the steps when creating ties instead of erasing the next steps (insert on/off)?

Thx in advance for your feedback on how you are managing those things  8)
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Re: Practical questions on working with the sequencer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:58:47 AM »
Not any reply? Nobody using the sequencer or nobody having note length / insert issues?  ;)
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Re: Practical questions on working with the sequencer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
I know what you mean about having to determine the "smallest division" before starting a sequence, but that's just how all step sequencers work. I guess I'm just used to working that way because of x0x style drum machines. I typically default to having the steps equal 1/16th notes because that seems to be the most useful. Doubling the tempo to get 1/32nd notes just means you've halved your available sequence length from 2 measures down to just one.

Ties - it just takes a certain "plan ahead" style of thinking when programming a step sequencer. I'm not sure an insert would be useful to me because that would shift all the notes after it one step back, right? What would happen to step 32? Honsetly I don't use ties much, if at all. I usually enter rests instead, and then set the decay longer on the amp/filter envelopes so the notes ring out and fill the empty space, pretty much sounding like a tied note.