Can the prophet 6 be used as a midi controller?

Can the prophet 6 be used as a midi controller?
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Obviously, this is not why i bought this! But it would be ace to control my sh-2 roland plugin. It says in the manual that Param Xmit could allow you to control the filter cutoff of another synth. so assume you could assign to midi via ableton right?

Re: Can the prophet 6 be used as a midi controller?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »
Uh, yeah.  ;)

You would most likely just connect your Pro6 via USB to your computer and edit the midi mapping of whichever parameter in the SH-2 Roland plugin, then move whichever parameter you want to control it.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
Keep in mind, too, that Ableton doesn't natively support NRPNs, so you'll want to set the Param Xmit global in your P6 to CC. For a full list of which controls will send MIDI CCs, see the MIDI Implementation in the operation manual.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
thanks - i have tried this. soo  midi channel = all, clock port = usb, Param Xmit = CC, Param Rcv = CC, Midi control = on, midi systex = usb, midi out = usb

in ableton, the prophet 6 track and sync are enabled for both the in and out.  when i press the MIDI map button  (top right corner of ableton) and select a parameter to map on the sh-2, twiddle any knob on the prophet 6 = nothing happens. except oddly master volume seems to change the master volume in the plugin and the LPF env amount changes the oscilator pitch - but these are technically not mapped! gives me the impression this could work tho. Any ideas?

Using latest OS.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:17:25 AM »
When midi mapping in Live are you selecting the parameter on the live device or on the actual plugin gui? You need to use the parameter in the device not the plugin.

Also have you got the remote box ticked for the midi device?

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 04:17:01 AM »
yup - clicking the live parameters rather than the gui of the vst. although i didnt have it set to remote, so will try that. thanks

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:12:03 AM »
ah Ok, turn on remote in the midi options and it will work