Analog Kick Synthesis Tutorial Vid

Analog Kick Synthesis Tutorial Vid
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Hey,

Just put up a new tutorial video, first part in a two part series. This one describes some different techniques for creating analog kick drums on the Tempest focusing on the oscillators.  Probably more useful for people new to sound design on the Tempest, but maybe some seasoned vets would still get an idea or two out of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPgRO6LMeI

Thanks.

Re: Analog Kick Synthesis Tutorial Vid
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
Just uploaded the second half of this tutorial.  This part covers self-oscillating filters and using feedback for generating kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZRY-rUk_M

RobH

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
Thanks Adam your videos are always awesome mate!

ps - When i went through the process of filter kicks on the tempest i ended up using 4 envelopes for the lowpass but i think your way of using them for feedback and resonance beats the shit out of it haha. You always seem to understand this at its deepest level, i love ur vids tbh they are so good!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:08:49 PM by RobH »

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »
Thanks Adam your videos are always awesome mate!

ps - When i went through the process of filter kicks on the tempest i ended up using 4 envelopes for the lowpass but i think your way of using them for feedback and resonance beats the shit out of it haha. You always seem to understand this at its deepest level, i love ur vids tbh they are so good!

Thanks!  You can totally do what you're saying about 4 envelopes just for the LowPass, it's really interesting how the sound can be molded that way. I just didn't do it in the video because I was trying to introduce new tricks with each kick, but using 4 envelopes with small amounts (instead of 1 envelope with a large amount) gets great unique results.  That's part of the magic of the Tempest, it can replicate some other drum machines, but it really shines when you use its features to make it sound like nothing else.

RobH

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
Once you realise the power of the T is in the lfo's and mod matrix the envelopes become a way of tightening the sound or sometimes throwing it the other way say for instance on some cymbals etc i've shaped those envelopes differently, when i made those filter kicks I was unaware of the way the matrix could shape the envelopes I'll prolly revisit that at some point and see if i can fashion some really nice filter kicks again!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:33:19 AM »
Very interesting - thanks!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
Great video's. how are you able to have the int sound set with a saw tooth? and not the factory sample?

Shea

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Great video's. how are you able to have the int sound set with a saw tooth? and not the factory sample?

You can define initial settings. I think you hold both shifts and then push system.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »
We've said it so many times i've lost count...All new Tempest users should read the 2 sticky tips & tricks and sound design threads.These threads are to the point and save so much time and energy from reading manuals and all that stuff..

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 04:44:52 AM »
We've said it so many times i've lost count...All new Tempest users should read the 2 sticky tips & tricks and sound design threads.These threads are to the point and save so much time and energy from reading manuals and all that stuff..

The manual is like 24 pages people.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:14:34 PM »
Double spaced and a pretty damn tiny booklet. So it is more like 2.4 pages.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

particlesintowaves

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
Awesome videos. Thanks for posting.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:05 AM »

It's like you blink and you've finished it

particlesintowaves

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »

It's like you blink and you've finished it
Short as it may be, it's good to go back and read it again sometimes. I just re-read it recently and it reminded me of a few concepts that I don't really utilize often.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »
Thanks Adam, those videos are great :)
DSI gear:

Tempest
OB-6 desktop
Pro 2

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »
Yep have to agree these are fantastic Adam.
Do you have plans for anymore?
Cheers

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
Yep have to agree these are fantastic Adam.
Do you have plans for anymore?
Cheers

Thanks!
I do want to do more. I have plans for an Analog Tom tutorial next, but I've been busy with work and getting stuff done for my band so that all takes precedent  ;D  The more people that view the tutorials and find them useful the more it makes me want to do another, so thanks, appreciate it.

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »
Your sounds are awesome, would consider making your sounds available for downloading? Even charging for them?

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
Your sounds are awesome, would consider making your sounds available for downloading? Even charging for them?

Thanks! I've thought about doing it, but I honestly have no idea how to set up a proper e-shop for selling patches. I will probably release a pack of sounds later this fall for free, ideally when the Tempest OS is considered final for reals.