A tune I'm working on

RobH

A tune I'm working on
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
Everything but the main lead is from the T, unfortuntely I kind of forgot to unmute any hats before I bounced this and its too late to redo it.

Also some plugins on the bass turned off while i get a damn code for somesoftware i use called jbridge which the guy needs to check his email and send me a legit copy so i can get some verb back i managed to get the Relab480 reverb, damn its good boys, i used it for 2 minutes and was like, damn this is good shizzle!!!

anyway heres what i'm working on just a 64loop no real composition, not sure if i'll rerecord the main synth or not, sometimes it kills it redoing, maybe i'll just chop it, let me know what u think lol. Make sure u take some drugkz first maybe and turn it up ofc!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/hope37

edit - ps far from finished ofc lol. It might never get finished. Who knows!?!?!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:42:48 PM by RobH »

RobH

Re: A tune I'm working on
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Ok, so last night i got to that techno track that is really my aim, but for some reason, i keep coming back to this 80's style track...

Does anyone else suffer from this??? Going around in circles, making something ok but not really what was intended???

I never finish tracks like i did when i first started making tunes a long time ago i just go around in circles never thinking its good enough... but in that circle i never actually get better :(

See how different it is tonight, it was kind of like this 2 nights ago haha god its sending me barmy!!!

here it is tonight, truthfully, which do you guys prefer if i had to pick one to just roll with and get a full composition down for and actually mix so you can hear a shit. I'm kinda isolated where i am i don't have any feedback ever and i think thats a reason i go around in circles!.!.!

Do u guys suffer this problem too??

again its only a quick loop but still, i'm going mad, i want to start again but thats what i keep doing, i have like, a hundred tracks like this not finished just ideas, arrrrggghhh

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/hope38

RobH

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
And this was how it was 3 nights ago, now i listen back i think maybe this was the best version

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/hope

arrrggghhhhh

RobH

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Cmon guys, give me some advice, how do you guys say "this is ok i should move onto XYZ" now?

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
... sometimes it kills it redoing...
Sometimes? Sometimes it feels it's most times.

dsetto

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »
Okay. The order I listened. #3, #1, #2.

#1 is different from the other idea. With only that one listen, each listen being less of the total file ... my quick thought
#1>#2

-
I just listened to the 1st 5 seconds of each, in order 1, 2, 3. I agree with my 1st quick thought. And, I like the sound of the 1st 2 measures of #3. (Surprisingly more than at 1st listen.) Afterwards it's a little messy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:57:24 PM by dsetto »

dsetto

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
& by the way, I liked it.

RobH

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
Yeah they are all messy number 3 especically. Thanks for listening man, I think i agree with your sentiment, they are all actually the same track lmao jsut with changed lead and piano/wurlitzer sounds, crazy as it is.

I agree #2 is another track in another time, so im also listening to 1 and 3 thinking #1 is the best to be fair

I think im going to start another track and then FORCE myself to revisit in a few days time when i'm less involved and can be more subjective about what works etc.

If anyone else wants to drop in feel free be uber critical, i dont mind, im not a pro to me it all sounds trashy and amatuer which is why i get stuck in the loops, when i was even more novice i would settle for less LOL!!!

RobH

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
Him guys something a little more refined than frustrated loops, i was lacking a little creativity so i thought i'd remake one of my fav tunes ever LCD Soundsystems Tribulations, again its not finished and its just like a rough little mix, not sure if i'll go back to it and try make the kick and mix better also make the transistions and hats a lot better

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/ode-to-the-tribulation-iii-vox-melody-version

It did push me to find some hats in the Tempest i adore, i was struggling with the Tempest and hats, and kind of still am but these i found are really really good, i like them a hell of a lot they sound pretty sick, ignore my programming with the hats but the sound, right!

In fact everything but the bassline and the belly things that come in after the main synth line ends are the T and the bass and belly shit is a Sub37.

I'll probably start doing this making my fav tunes over you learn a lot when you do it without having to have an endless supply of creativity I guess its something ishould have been doing a long time ago ha, the lead in this track sounds fucking amazing i got to say i'll be usiing these sounds in my own tracks for sure they are sick.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Does anyone else suffer from this??? Going around in circles, making something ok but not really what was intended???

Pretty much sums up my situation, but I'm also probably about as far away as possible from being considered a professional. I literally have notebooks filled with all of the concepts and themes I've dreamed of doing but my abilities fall far too short when I try to realize them.

With that said though, appreciate what you do create.  And don't worry, you're far from being alone when it comes to this.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:23:23 AM »
Hey man, keep it up;) Best practise....know when to move on. Yes it is busy. Lead sound is cool but has too many notes(pr could be sequenced moe progressively... Entire track - Not enough progression to hold interest (most all above subjective IMHO)

I like the vibe...it starts kinda electro indie pop but then drifts to video game music with the arp.

Not that video game music is garbage...you make probably make more money there than releasing a platinum track;)

Thanks for posting!! You have some good elements in there. Take those ideas into your next song and keep it up brother.

Most of all you have the balls to
put yourself out there!!! Koodos!

Cheers!!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 04:15:06 AM »
Thanks guys appreciated the comments!

dsetto

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »

Pretty much sums up my situation, ... but my abilities fall far too short when I try to realize them.

With that said though, appreciate what you do create.  And don't worry, you're far from being alone when it comes to this.
+1

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
All the time;) Funny thing is that there were a couple of times I woke up from a dream where I had dreamt about a track and immediately pieced it together. Very cool experience even if it didn't launch me into megastardom...still trying though *grin*
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
Hi just quick question

I'm trying to mix my beat but am struggling to get the kick drum to have any real punch or clarity although i love the sound and bounce of it, i dont know if i can record it again like i wanted as i lost all my compressor settings, anyone maybe give me some tips into mixing this better?

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/breaking-free-test-6-drums-only

At the moment the kick is split over 2 tracks with a sub part getting boosted by bass type pluging and the rest of the kick has a cut at 400 i think

I left the bass out because i am going ot recrord that but i dont feel kicks quite there without the bass anyway,

any suggestions?

Tempest makes some fucking sick beats exactly what i am going for, thats the thing, i can bend this machine to my will, pretty impressive!

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:54 AM »
Ye you don't have clarity in there...
I never use the onboard compressor..Sound designing your parts it's the most powerful mixing technique you can get..Just fit each instrument to each own frequency simple as that..And for finishing touches just stick some parallel compression at your master channel to tighten up your mix and you're done!It's pretty easy to understand if your bass gets in the way of your kick with a simple spectrum analyzer.I use Ableton Live's default one..Mute your bass and let the kick play.Now unmute your bass..Are your peak bass frequencies rising even further..If yes then you have a conflict...Easy peasy ;) Same goes for other frequencies too
Hi just quick question

I'm trying to mix my beat but am struggling to get the kick drum to have any real punch or clarity although i love the sound and bounce of it, i dont know if i can record it again like i wanted as i lost all my compressor settings, anyone maybe give me some tips into mixing this better?

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/breaking-free-test-6-drums-only

At the moment the kick is split over 2 tracks with a sub part getting boosted by bass type pluging and the rest of the kick has a cut at 400 i think

I left the bass out because i am going ot recrord that but i dont feel kicks quite there without the bass anyway,

any suggestions?

Tempest makes some fucking sick beats exactly what i am going for, thats the thing, i can bend this machine to my will, pretty impressive!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:07:42 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

RobH

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 06:07:12 AM »
Thanks yorgos. I don't I use the onboard compressor either I've got a 1176 style I use which actually is really good but this kick hasn't got any body I think and I'm trying to give if some but it's just not there to begin with so is lacking. I'll make the kick again I think and try and balance it better like you say thanks

RobH

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/breaking-free-test-7-drums-only

Ok so i redid the kick, i haven't managed to get a nice roll with this kick but i'm just going to 4/4 it mainly anyway and leave the kick rolls out and just have it on the 8ths for groove if needed I added some verb to it as well just  little not sure if you can even hear it and tried to EQ the high click a little it was just tad too clicky.

Do you guys think this one is any better sometimes i do stuff and then later i listen again and thinks its trash an outsiders view is always good? Any feedback or suggestion is appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:00:34 AM by RobH »

RobH

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »
Yoyo

Track is coming along now i recorded the lead off the MS20 but i think im going to replace it with the Tempest lead i have thats sick if it fits nicely!

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/breaking-free-2junee

I was going for a kind of wonky feel to the lead but haven't quite acheived it, i might try sequencing it from my metropolis bar by  bar or something, not sure, i cant play as well as i need to for this lead so, maybe a different tone will pull it off a little better with some pitch bend at the start of the notes!

Bass is a dpo and Blue lantern euroracks filter, its not the most perfect bass i but its kinda aiming what im going for!!!

Any suggestions or feedback or questions feel free not enough tunes get posted around here!

RobH

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/truffle-new-kickhttps://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/truffle-new-kick

Hey guys a track i've been working on, the kick is made with a DPO and MAths but all the other drums are the Tempest as are the keys/pads. The lead is a DPO as is the little melody at the end. I need to revisit this tune and do some serious drum programming, i would probably fitler the keys a little more so they sit back more in the mix when playing alongside the lead and i don't like the way i drop the keys at all. I do think im making some progress though and think the Tempest is still sat in the middle of all the tracks i make its just like a swiss army knife (made of gold).

Let me know what you think!