Mono vs Stereo Patches

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
Mono vs Stereo Patches
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »
When I think of a monophonic synthesizer, mono patches come to mind (for i.e., bass). Of course the PRO 2 is blessed with stereo outs, and can be switched from stereo to mono. So that leaves me asking the question how you've set things up in your DAW. Do you have the Pro 2 as a Stereo or Mono input? How often do you find yourself going back and forth between the two settings? Can you give one example of when/how/why you might create a stereo patch?
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

Re: Mono vs Stereo Patches
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
When I think of a monophonic synthesizer, mono patches come to mind (for i.e., bass). Of course the PRO 2 is blessed with stereo outs, and can be switched from stereo to mono. So that leaves me asking the question how you've set things up in your DAW. Do you have the Pro 2 as a Stereo or Mono input? How often do you find yourself going back and forth between the two settings? Can you give one example of when/how/why you might create a stereo patch?

It largely depends on the manner by which you handle ping-pong or stereo modulation delays–if you use the internal delays for either, you run stereo–otherwise, mono makes sense, as there's only one voice (read: filters-to-delay signal path).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
I take a more lazy approach and always leave it in stereo.  I don't find any phasing/cancellation problems recording a mono patch in stereo given the DAW and mixer are digital.  Also, by the time effects are added, it would be very hard to notice any phasing or cancellation at all.  The purist way would be recording the mono patches in mono.  Maybe if a get a little more disciplined . . .  :) 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:02 AM »
I take a more lazy approach and always leave it in stereo.  I don't find any phasing/cancellation problems recording a mono patch in stereo given the DAW and mixer are digital.  Also, by the time effects are added, it would be very hard to notice any phasing or cancellation at all.  The purist way would be recording the mono patches in mono.  Maybe if a get a little more disciplined . . .  :)

As do I - my remark was more of a nod to those short on mixer channels, or for whom stereo operation is less preferred.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
I go mono into my mixer and DAW. I can't stand ping-pong panning, it just sounds gimmicky to me. And I use external FX instead of the built-in ones on the P2.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
I can't stand ping-pong panning, it just sounds gimmicky to me.

That's a good point.  I feel the same way about the jumping back and forth panning on the instruments.

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:54:39 PM »
I go mono into my mixer and DAW. I can't stand ping-pong panning, it just sounds gimmicky to me. And I use external FX instead of the built-in ones on the P2.
So you only have the left channel of the P2 plugged up, no 1/4" cable coming out of the right channel? Which DAW do you use?

Do you have the PRO 2 set to mono in Global?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:57:18 PM by ARNK »
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
So you only have the left channel of the P2 plugged up, no 1/4" cable coming out of the right channel? Which DAW do you use?

Do you have the PRO 2 set to mono in Global?

Correct, set to mono in global and only using a cable in the Left output. I use Reaper, and a hardware mixer with a few stereo FX boxes on the Sends.