OB-6 Tips -n- Tricks

Jdoo

OB-6 Tips -n- Tricks
« on: May 06, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm somewhat a packrat, when trying to get my arms around a new synth / instrument, and gather tips and such.. putting them into a document... It's part of my process for getting up to speed.  Anyway - I've been collecting bits and tips from here, other on-line forums.. and the manual - and threw them into a doc.  It's free.. it ain't professional.. and much of it - folks may find is rudimentary or redundant to the manual.  Sorry for that.  Like I said... it's what I do, to remember bits.  Anyway. .  It's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9j33t6/OB6%20BKMs%201.0.docx?dl=0  .

Cheers -

Joe

comments/suggestions welcome..

Re: OB-6 Tips -n- Tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »
My only comment is; thanks for the share! I'm looking forward to putting some of your tips to the test this evening.

Jdoo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
Glad to share.   Should point out again though...  Very few of these tips are directly from me.  Most (of the good ones, anyway) are from posts / shares by others.  I just grabbed them and threw 'em into a doc.   

Thanks

joe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »
Ty! Downloaded, nice to have all this info n one place.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Very useful, many thanks for sharing!
My soundbanks for OB6 & Prophet 6: www.barbandco.com

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Thanks, Jdoo, lots of cool tips to try out.  I do have one important question:

Is there a way to "bend" one oscillator's pitch so you can get a fat attack detune effect, like for synth brass? 

I'd like to have one oscillator start a few cents below the destination pitch, and then bend up during the attack to the destination pitch, while the other oscillator just hits the pitch at the beginning.  The goal is to create a fatter initial attack to mimic the way brass instruments behave. 

I'm thinking Final Countdown, Wouldn't It Be Good, Touch and Go, etc.  Thanks.
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »

Is there a way to "bend" one oscillator's pitch so you can get a fat attack detune effect, like for synth brass? 

I'd like to have one oscillator start a few cents below the destination pitch, and then bend up during the attack to the destination pitch, while the other oscillator just hits the pitch at the beginning.  The goal is to create a fatter initial attack to mimic the way brass instruments behave. 

You could do this with the X-Mod section...Use the filter envelope to modulate osc 1 pitch.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:45:42 AM »
Thanks, Chimponaut!  I had a feeling there was a way to do it with X-mod.  Now I realize that the Filter Envelope can act as an extra mod source.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:08:08 AM by psionic11 »
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:52 PM »
Thanks, Chimponaut!  I had a feeling there was a way to do it with X-mod.  Now I realize that the Filter Envelope can act as an extra mod source.

Yea the filter envelope can hit 7 destinations at once via the X-Mod and the filter envelope amount knob.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
Great guide! many useful tips..  thanks for sharing!

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »

X Mod for sure. or Poly Mod for Prophet 6.

I did a patch similar to this to emulated the synth part of the first song on the Death Wish II soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ckg-D6dMLw

I also modified this to do another type patch where I had the Poly Mod section rise an octave higher than the initial pitch and I got the exact sound of Pork Chop Express at 0:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Uy0Ux8cws

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:26:57 AM »
Thank you very much!