Choke of the snare with kick using Voice out 1-2

Choke of the snare with kick using Voice out 1-2
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »
Hi,

I explain my problem, I created a sequence on the Tempest, formed by kick and Snare. The tempest is connected to the main out L R output. This way, as you know, we have choke of the snare at every hit of the Kick.
The problem comes when I want to mix the drum in a daw.
I have done the right volume adjustments between kick and snare, but the sound is too dirty, it sounds like a whole one and the kick can not get out, strangely.
I was wondering if there is a way to have the same effect of attenuation of the snare by dividing the channels out 1 and 2.

I hope to have explained to you well and that you can help me.

thank you

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:38:09 AM by Donato »

RobH

Re: Choke of the snare with kick using Voice out 1-2
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
Hi,

I explain my problem, I created a sequence on the Tempest, formed by kick and Snare. The tempest is connected to the main out L R output. This way, as you know, we have choke of the snare at every hit of the Kick.
The problem comes when I want to mix the drum in a daw.
I have done the right volume adjustments between kick and snare, but the sound is too dirty, it sounds like a whole one and the kick can not get out, strangely.
I was wondering if there is a way to have the same effect of attenuation of the snare by dividing the channels out 1 and 2.

I hope to have explained to you well and that you can help me.

thank you

Have you tried assigning voices to the kick and snare?

Generally that can seperate the drums more espeically if there is a whole drum track going with hats and toms etc.

I'm not entirely sure of your exact issue? Maybe you could upload some sound files for us to listen to, but yeah, assign a different voice to kick and snare and then they will 100% be seperated and not effect each other choking wise, if you click on 16sounds mode then use the Vdown cursor keep clicking it until you get to the bottom of the menu you assign (and choke) voices there.

You can always pan your kick and snare left and right but it then becomes a situation where you can only use your drums in a weird way having to remember which side you panned and stuff that limits you more than assigning a voice in my opinion. good luck!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:25:48 AM by RobH »

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
I don't really understand what you mean.

If you want the kick/snare to choke each other but have them on separate voices there's a 'choke pad' setting under the voice settings.

If you want to do this to record separate tracks in a DAW and you want to use the main outs then you have to pan hard left/right to separate them as has been mentioned.

But I may be missing the issue entirely...

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
use a dynamic EQ in your DAW to duck the lower frequencies in the snare each time the kick hits...

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

I can explain this further if you need.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:41:41 AM »
For me the power of sound design can't be beat when you want to mix those frequencies...

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
Dividing kick and snare in voice out 1-2 and setting the snare choke at each hit of kick the result is clearly different. Unfortunately I didn't  have time to upload clips, but if you try and create an articulated breakbeat sequence where the snare has hit that coincide also with those of the kick, then you will notice a natural choke of the snare hit when the kick sounds and you will not have it when the kick does not sound (This using the Main out LR).
The solution i adopted is to equalize with precision,directly on the tempest, adjusting the volumes and decreasing the sound decay to the indispensable minimum. In this way I have net and decisive hits even though i will be forced to record in one track but I did a try and the effect is what I wanted.
Repeat:Dividing kick and snare in voice 1 and 2 and selecting the choke pad of the snare on the kick I didn't have the same effect, by doing this, the hit of the snare is almost eliminated.

I hope to have been clearer than before:)

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
use a dynamic EQ in your DAW to duck the lower frequencies in the snare each time the kick hits...

I can't now spend more money 50 € are a bit, but if you can explain will be good for me. thx :)

RobH

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
Dividing kick and snare in voice out 1-2 and setting the snare choke at each hit of kick the result is clearly different. Unfortunately I didn't  have time to upload clips, but if you try and create an articulated breakbeat sequence where the snare has hit that coincide also with those of the kick, then you will notice a natural choke of the snare hit when the kick sounds and you will not have it when the kick does not sound (This using the Main out LR).
The solution i adopted is to equalize with precision,directly on the tempest, adjusting the volumes and decreasing the sound decay to the indispensable minimum. In this way I have net and decisive hits even though i will be forced to record in one track but I did a try and the effect is what I wanted.
Repeat:Dividing kick and snare in voice 1 and 2 and selecting the choke pad of the snare on the kick I didn't have the same effect, by doing this, the hit of the snare is almost eliminated.

I hope to have been clearer than before:)

What do you mean by "dividing the kick and snare"?? Panning one left and one right??

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »

I can't now spend more money 50 € are a bit, but if you can explain will be good for me. thx :)
It's FREE