Looking for an FM based synth.

Re: Looking for an FM based synth.
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
I actually got the Nord Lead 4  purposely to do many of the classic FM sounds. I wanted a hardware instrument that was new, not a bear to program, yet get me in the ballpark of that sound.   I'm not disappointed.    I'll often stack 4 layers then use the fm feature on each layer.  You can adjust mod to each fm via LFO or via envelope.   I've even explored some very basic forms of additive synthesis using all 8 oscillators (2 on each of the 4 layers) set to sine waves of different harmonics.    Not saying I can get anywhere near the complexities of the other choices mentioned thus far, but I can still make  pretty convincing DX 7 piano sounds.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »
I actually got the Nord Lead 4  purposely to do many of the classic FM sounds. I wanted a hardware instrument that was new, not a bear to program, yet get me in the ballpark of that sound.   I'm not disappointed.    I'll often stack 4 layers then use the fm feature on each layer.  You can adjust mod to each fm via LFO or via envelope.   I've even explored some very basic forms of additive synthesis using all 8 oscillators (2 on each of the 4 layers) set to sine waves of different harmonics.    Not saying I can get anywhere near the complexities of the other choices mentioned thus far, but I can still make  pretty convincing DX 7 piano sounds.

I wish Nord would actually get back into making synths as opposed to digital piano/organ oriented instruments. They could easily make a killing on a new FM/Sampler combo. I guess the Waldorf Blofield is the best option for right now. It would be nice if a new OS implemented on on board sequencer since it's multitimbral.

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »
I wish Nord would actually get back into making synths as opposed to digital piano/organ oriented instruments. They could easily make a killing on a new FM/Sampler combo. I guess the Waldorf Blofield is the best option for right now. It would be nice if a new OS implemented on on board sequencer since it's multitimbral.

Yes–with the exception of the Drum stuff (most of which was spun out over a decade ago), they're treading the same path that Kurzweil did (cynically IMHO toward gigging rompler / modelers, and away from innovative synthesis instruments).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »

Yes–with the exception of the Drum stuff (most of which was spun out over a decade ago), they're treading the same path that Kurzweil did (cynically IMHO toward gigging rompler / modelers, and away from innovative synthesis instruments).

I agree. I was hoping Waldorf would've released something new, better by now.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 03:24:47 AM »
The desktop Yamaha DX200 is an option and it's supposed to take DX-7 patches too. I have one but haven't tried yet to load DX patches into it.

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
The desktop Yamaha DX200 is an option and it's supposed to take DX-7 patches too. I have one but haven't tried yet to load DX patches into it.

Any PLG150-DX host would do the job - but many of these units have been cannibalized for the PLG board.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
I've been looking at the DX200 as well... never had one, but have always wanted to try one out... what scares me away though is, that it's more like a groovebox, than an actual synth.

The TX802 I got was broken in the freight, so I now have the only one FM synth I'll probably own again: Yamaha FS1R... it is extremely sterile and cold in it's sound though... and a nightmare to program... but it does it all.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »

Clavia and Kurzweil are really missing a big opportunity. Imagine a sampler but with an analog style layout in which you can manipulate and mix in real time as opposed to menu diving. I mean the Nord Wave was a great first step in terms of an FM/Sampler type engine for them so why not perfect it? It totally could have been improved, especially if it implemented some of the technology of the Korg Microsampler in which you could record/loop/truncate/map in real time. Push a button, anyone can do that and I think that's what Korg, Moog and DSI are recognizing. Musicians don't want to menu dive, they want a hands on experience. I have a Kurzweil 2600XS, Korg Kronos and Roland FA 08 and honestly...every time I want to play them I let out a sigh because I know I'm going to be there for at least a good hour or two programming and menu diving before I get to any actual writing. The FA 08 is a bit better but still going from something like the Prophet 6 where it's all in front of you to menu after menu to get a sound is really an inspiration killer.

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »

Any PLG150-DX host would do the job - but many of these units have been cannibalized for the PLG board.

I opened mine too and I used to have the AN200 but sold it. I noticed they're identical and just a host for the PLG boards.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2017, 12:51:37 AM »
Imagine a sampler but with an analog style layout in which you can manipulate and mix in real time as opposed to menu diving.

I can, it was called the E-MU 4K(5K) Ultra.  Well almost, only thing missing was no menu diving, but I got around that with a controller.  Unfortunately mine was dropped and the big encoder broke, then I bought the RFX card after Creative basically ended E-MU as a separated division.  The card had a very complicated install process and I lost the instructions (somehow).  Creative did have them online and support said "if you lost them, bad luck, you are useless and we don't care about you or your money".  I still have it but even to look at it makes me sad...

I'm halfway to my MPC X tonight with my last lot of invoices being paid  :D

I guess the Waldorf Blofield is the best option for right now. It would be nice if a new OS implemented on on board sequencer since it's multitimbral.

The Blofeld has FM, yes, but I'm not too sure how it works.  I was playing with it the other night and couldn't work out what I was actually controlling.  Is each FM setting (there are two, one in osc 1 menu pages and one in osc 2).  Is it like the Evolver and the first is osc 1 being modulated by 2 and viceversa with the second setting?  I'll try to have a go at it again tonight, if I can stop playing with the Evolver.  I installed the 3.x firmware chip today and updated the DSP.  The display tells me it worked, but I'm yet to test it really.

edit: I found the edit button
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:02:45 AM by megamarkd »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:26 AM »

Clavia and Kurzweil are really missing a big opportunity. Imagine a sampler but with an analog style layout in which you can manipulate and mix in real time as opposed to menu diving. I mean the Nord Wave was a great first step in terms of an FM/Sampler type engine for them so why not perfect it? It totally could have been improved, especially if it implemented some of the technology of the Korg Microsampler in which you could record/loop/truncate/map in real time. Push a button, anyone can do that and I think that's what Korg, Moog and DSI are recognizing. Musicians don't want to menu dive, they want a hands on experience. I have a Kurzweil 2600XS, Korg Kronos and Roland FA 08 and honestly...every time I want to play them I let out a sigh because I know I'm going to be there for at least a good hour or two programming and menu diving before I get to any actual writing. The FA 08 is a bit better but still going from something like the Prophet 6 where it's all in front of you to menu after menu to get a sound is really an inspiration killer.

The Waldorf Blofeld, with Sample option resembles the Nord Wave pretty much in functionality actually... specs are very much alike.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
I just got a DX7 in perfect condition. Not the "easily" programmable module, not the better Mk II with stereo and duo-timbre, not the 100 year edition with the colors, but the plain old Mk I. And I think it is the best version you can buy, for sentimental reasons. With a bit of reverb, the presets sound amazing, I downloaded a manual, let's see how far I get...

chysn

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 04:45:58 PM »
I just got a DX7 in perfect condition. Not the "easily" programmable module, not the better Mk II with stereo and duo-timbre, not the 100 year edition with the colors, but the plain old Mk I. And I think it is the best version you can buy, for sentimental reasons. With a bit of reverb, the presets sound amazing, I downloaded a manual, let's see how far I get...

Reverb goes a long way on a DX7. Also, I used to pump mine through a Moog MF-101, which made the strings really come to life.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2017, 04:33:30 AM »
Reporting back 1.5 weeks after I got my DX7. I managed to wrestle myself through this book: http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/fm_theory_and_applications.pdf and am starting to be able to program basic brass, string and bell piano sounds, plus learned some amazing stuff about how sound works.

The UI of the DX7 is actually OK when manipulating operator configurations, frequencies, and levels. Envelopes on the other hand are very cumbersome without visual slope feedback.

Here is what Yamaha should have done in 1981: add one more membrane button that allows you to quickly click through a series of very rough envelope templates, that you then later can refine with the precise values.

chysn

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
The UI of the DX7 is actually OK when manipulating operator configurations, frequencies, and levels. Envelopes on the other hand are very cumbersome without visual slope feedback.

The way I see it, this is one place where Yamaha just should have nodded at tradition and gone with ADSR. The Level/Rate model is really flexible, but I'm not sure the flexibility is worth it with all the other stuff the DX has going on.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
KORG actually tried that with the DS-8 and 707 keyboards... they had ADSR's instead of the other... it does make things a bit simpler, but it also takes away a lot of the flexibility... DX's in my opinion is for sound designers who like to dive deep... not really a performers synth, unless you only use presets.

Actually I'm selling my FS1R right now... selling a lot of gear, but I simply would never spend the amount of time needed to program such a deep synth... the FS1R is probably the hardest FM synth to program, but then... it is also the most flexible of all FM synths...

So if anyone is searching for an FS1R, do not hesitate giving me a PM ;) ... (750,- US dollars)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:34:06 AM by Razmo »