filter keyboard tracking

filter keyboard tracking
« on: April 28, 2017, 01:59:05 AM »
hey all, just wondering exactly how the filter keyboard tracking is supposed to work on the pro 2? On mine i'm finding that raising the amount just increases the overall filter cutoff for every note on the keyboard...is this how is is supposed to work on it? am i doing something wrong? i'm used to other keyboards where increasing the keyboard tracking makes the lower notes darker and higher brighter...any feedback is appreciated :)

NLB

Re: filter keyboard tracking
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:19:14 AM »
hey all, just wondering exactly how the filter keyboard tracking is supposed to work on the pro 2? On mine i'm finding that raising the amount just increases the overall filter cutoff for every note on the keyboard...is this how is is supposed to work on it? am i doing something wrong? i'm used to other keyboards where increasing the keyboard tracking makes the lower notes darker and higher brighter...any feedback is appreciated :)

Turn down the filter cutoff to compensate?

I had some difficulty getting the filters on mine to track correctly when self-oscillating, but it cleared-up after a recalibration. It does track correctly now (value = 64). For practical use I use lower values.

(Sometimes I wish that negative tracking was hardwired, but easy to set-up in the mod matrix).

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:21:23 AM by NLB »

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »

(Sometimes I wish that negative tracking was hardwired, but easy to set-up in the mod matrix).

Me too. In contrast I almost never use negative filter envelope depths, would sure love to devote the whole knob's travel to positive amounts of that.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
i'm used to other keyboards where increasing the keyboard tracking makes the lower notes darker and higher brighter...

That's how it works on the Pro 2 as well, but as someone else mentioned you may need to turn your cutoff down to compensate after adding tracking. A value of 64 should track 1V/Oct. You can set Filter 1 to self-resonate and confirm.

Here's what I suspect is going on, and why it seems to make your patch brighter at first. I think DSI's method of applying tracking references the lowest note possible and sets filter tracking there starting at zero, then it goes up the scale. Other synths might pick C2 or C3 as the "zero point", and it goes up or down accordingly. Same result really, you just have to set your initial cutoff lower on the Pro 2.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Exactly.  In order to compensate, you have to toggle back and forth between the Filter Key Amount and the Filter Frequency to find the balance you want.  Then you'll hear the differences between the lower notes and the higher.  At first, increasing the Key Amount merely seems to open up the filter across the whole keyboard range.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies all! Yep I've experimented further with it and understand, it does use the lowest note as increase cutoff from there, and yep all i have to do is turn down cutoff after to compensate..i understand how it works now! :) it's different to my other keyboards, but that's good..i'm enjoying my pro 2! a wealth of sound design...time to start designing some trippy ozric tentacles sounds :D

Ted

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
 I like the way the Xenophone handles this. Bi-Polar key tracking would be a nice option.