Please DSI... Give us a proper Hybrid sampler :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Please DSI... Give us a proper Hybrid sampler :)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
I'd rather see something that connects to a computer for deep-editing purposes (i.e., for building a voice model a la Kyma), but can be used standalone–I'd want such a device to function as a drum machine (pads) or synthesizer (keys) first and foremost. Keep the device interface knobby / simple / musical.

The risk, though, is that you end up with a fancy ROMpler with analogue filters, should someone decide that they don't care to go deeper. The sounds would stagnate over time, and you'd end up with a clichéd sound.

Alternately, a SampleCell-style PCIe card (or USB-based outboard chassis) with analogue filters would be pretty cool, maybe as a modular counterpart to the above instruments. This would allow you to add voices in an all-computer environment, or to expand your existing keyboard setup as a slave device (a la Poly Evolver).

Well, we all have our dreams about what we would like... mine is a Sampler Keyboard Synthesizer like I described :D ... luckily, if DSI do not want to compete with the Quantum, I'll just get that one instead... just really would have seen 16 voices on that thing... but I guess 8 will have to be enough then.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Sure... but that does not take away the need for a keyboard sampler as I see it... Why should sampling only be for Eurorack and software? ... then why not completely diss all analog keyboard synths like the P6, OB6, REV2 etc? ... there are more than enough software that does the same? ... also, eurorack usually is not very polyphony friendly... and it is directed at a different kind of user than a stage performer... at least that type of performer I'm thinking would want a keyboard sampler synthesizer :D

I know for sure that I would want one... and I should be baffled if others would not want such a thing as well ;)

I didn't mean to play out one against the other. There's enough space for both. I was just saying that these days most innovative moves take place in either Eurorack or software. And processing power as well as flexible upgradeability make software a tough competitor in the realm of advanced sampling.

Also worth mentioning: The Assimil8or is 8 times multitimbral. One could also technically combine it with Doepfer's new polyphonic USB/MIDI to CV/gate interface for paraphonic purposes.

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
Hey Razmo, what are your thoughts on the Korg Microsampler? I think somehow expanding on it might be where this idea is headed. Instant gratification and instant editing.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
I'd rather see something that connects to a computer (or tablet) for deep-editing purposes (i.e., for building a voice model a la Kyma), but can be used standalone–I'd want such a device to function as a drum machine (pads) or synthesizer (keys) first and foremost, not simply as a controller a la Maschine. Keep the device interface knobby / simple / musical.

The risk, though, is that you end up with a fancy ROMpler with analogue filters, should someone decide that they don't care to go deeper. The presets would tend to stagnate over time, and you'd end up with a clichéd sound that would need to disappear from the public's consciousness in the manner of a Roland D-50.

Alternately, a SampleCell-style PCIe card (or USB-based outboard chassis) with analogue filters and (multiple) audio outputs would be pretty cool, maybe as a modular counterpart to the above instruments. This would allow you to add voices in an all-computer environment, or (as standalone box) to expand your existing keyboard setup as a slave device (a la Poly Evolver).

I still own a Muse Receptor, which I loved at the time for its self-contained approach (ex E-mu folks were involved in the design), but also its ability to go deeper (VST editing). It just never caught on / was ahead of its time / was constrained by hardware expandability / noisy fan + HDD, etc.

Perhaps the Lo-Fi Rompler sound is exactly why people lust after Fairlights and Emulators. Does it sound dated? Meh, nor more so than the Tom Sawyer filter sweep on an analog synth but people want things for a specific reason. Old fuzz pedals, old amps, old guitars all sound "Dated" but perhaps that's the sound the player wants. Hell, people here (including myself) want a new DX to be released but to some people the FM piano is an awfully dated sound.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
I'd rather see something that connects to a computer (or tablet) for deep-editing purposes (i.e., for building a voice model a la Kyma), but can be used standalone–I'd want such a device to function as a drum machine (pads) or synthesizer (keys) first and foremost, not simply as a controller a la Maschine. Keep the device interface knobby / simple / musical.

The risk, though, is that you end up with a fancy ROMpler with analogue filters, should someone decide that they don't care to go deeper. The presets would tend to stagnate over time, and you'd end up with a clichéd sound that would need to disappear from the public's consciousness in the manner of a Roland D-50.

Alternately, a SampleCell-style PCIe card (or USB-based outboard chassis) with analogue filters and (multiple) audio outputs would be pretty cool, maybe as a modular counterpart to the above instruments. This would allow you to add voices in an all-computer environment, or (as standalone box) to expand your existing keyboard setup as a slave device (a la Poly Evolver).

I still own a Muse Receptor, which I loved at the time for its self-contained approach (ex E-mu folks were involved in the design), but also its ability to go deeper (VST editing). It just never caught on / was ahead of its time / was constrained by hardware expandability / noisy fan + HDD, etc.

Perhaps the Lo-Fi Rompler sound is exactly why people lust after Fairlights and Emulators. Does it sound dated? Meh, nor more so than the Tom Sawyer filter sweep on an analog synth but people want things for a specific reason. Old fuzz pedals, old amps, old guitars all sound "Dated" but perhaps that's the sound the player wants. Hell, people here (including myself) want a new DX to be released but to some people the FM piano is an awfully dated sound.

I'd take an 8-op FS1R with analogue filters, though that's a different proposition than sample playback. My objection to a "sampler" lies in the workflow and control.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

I'd take an 8-op FS1R with analogue filters, though that's a different proposition than sample playback. My objection to a "sampler" lies in the workflow and control.

No I totally understand your objection but that simply just means a sampler isn't for you, where as for Razmo or myself it would be perfectly fine. There's a lot of hurdles with recording reel to reel on tape....yet some people prefer that. It just comes down to an individuals wants and needs. If you feel a sampler is too convoluted or cumbersome...don't get it.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
Hey Razmo, what are your thoughts on the Korg Microsampler? I think somehow expanding on it might be where this idea is headed. Instant gratification and instant editing.

Sure... I know the Microsampler, and it is a bit in the right direction... but the Microsampler is missing one of the important aspects... analog VCF/VCA etc... if the analog aspect of my idear is taken out, I don't see that it would fare very well at all, it's the hybrid architecture that would make it interesting, and possibly some more performance oriented features. it has to offer a performer something special... it's a challenge yes, but in my view not an impossible one.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »

Sure... an FM synth with VCF/VCA would be cool, but it would defy one of the things I had in mind with the sampler; instant gratification... programing FM synthesis is a f...... pain in the neck, it is practically impossible to get what you're after, and it takes a long time to program those random outcomes.

My reason for wanting a sampler is as I allready explained; it's fast and you have all the modulation going on in the samples themselves, making the rest of the signal chain work more as a "Template"... This means that you do not have to be a sound design wizard to come up with good material, that you can use preset templates for the two sample oscillators... if the sample oscillators could time stretch on the fly as well, it would be even better, as modulation inherent in the samples would keep their time settings no matter where you play on the keyboard (like VariPhrase on V-Synth XT).

Actually I'm selling all my gear at the moment, except for my V-Synth and E5000 Ultra... simply because these two machines can do almost all and everything I need right now... and I get there A LOT faster because I'm using samples instead of spending hours on sounddesigning from static boring waveforms all the time... sure you can not do all with samplers, and for sure the other synthesis types are also intriguing and good (afterall that is what we sample with the samplers hehe)... but it's not like DSI are goinf to make samplers for the rest of their life, just because I'm asking for ONE single product with sample oscillators?

I really do think there is a market for such a sampler keyboard, as long as it is well thought out, and have that hybrid construction... I really hope they will visit this idear just once... hell, you could more or less just take the REV2 or the P12 signal path, and replace the oscillators with sample oscillators, and throw in some sort of storage medium... done! ... as long as the UI is of course altered to make it performance oriented :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »
And one HUGE thing more to consider an advantage of such a sampler is the vast amount of samples available on the internet, and how easy it is to create samples yourself... plus all the sounds impossible to synthesize like real instruments, vocal phrases, nature sound effects etc... one of the biggest problems I've had with DSI instruments is that most of the presets is completely useless to me for the genre I do... many probably know of this "dilemma"... even though my P12 is a monster synth, I rarely use it, because the presets just do not cut it for me, and it takes too long for me to program them... i want to make music, not sound design hundreds of sounds before starting to compose my music...

That's where samples are a god sent... you can always find something out there, or you can sample it yourself really fast...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
Ohh... and by the way... IF there are no interest in a modern hybrid sampling synthesizer keyboard, then I do not understand why the Emulator 1 & 2, and even the version 3 with analog filters fetch these horrible second hand prices still? ... why people still pay extreme sums for the SP1200 etc.? ... this alone contradicts that a modern hybrid sampling keyboard and groovebox should be unwanted?

Look at ANY older sampler from the 80's that had analog parts, and they seem to still go for a lot higher rates than the older digital ones... look at what en E-MU Ultra cost when they were released back then (more than 4000 US dollars)... today they are costing almost nothing, but an old AKAI with analog filter, or even an Ensoniq Mirage cost almost the same as an Ultra... people want the hybrid approach... they want the analog VCF and VCA in their samplers, just like they want it with their subtractive synthesizers and everything else :D

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
A computer is still easier by far–if you know your way around EXS24, for example, you can get a device multi-sampled pretty quickly, with velocity levels (I actually still use a fifteen-year-old template for this very thing). And, you can automate the sample generation / processing / etc.

You just cannot do that with an E4, on its own (with its limited sample RAM and velocity layers) as easily; in general, I used computer-based editors such as Peak or Spark to handle sample maintenance in the old days (over SMDI or MIDI SDS, for other stuff).

I'm not as sold on the E-mu rack hardware thing as you are–to me, the Emulator X + PCI card was the beginning of the writing on the wall for that concept, which is why I'd rather see a hybrid that doesn't attempt to do too much with a tiny interface.

And while I agree with you that it'd be nice to run samples through analogue filter ICs in a modern instrument, that's no longer enough to justify the R&D required (witness the discussions on the Quantum regarding the lack of FM, even when the rest of the engine is more-than-well-equipped).

It's gotta be a fully-fledged digital instrument, or, alternately, an analogue add-on to an existing digital processing core, with the understanding that, if it's fairly well engineered, that it may outlive the lifespan of the computer systems used to design it in the first place!

I'd be happy with an iPad-based waveform/model editor, some control knobs, decent multimode filters, and a bunch of analogue outs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:24:54 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
A computer is still easier by far–if you know your way around EXS24, for example, you can get a device multi-sampled pretty quickly, with velocity levels (I actually still use a fifteen-year-old template for this very thing). And, you can automate the sample generation / processing / etc.

You just cannot do that with an E4, on its own (with its limited sample RAM and velocity layers) as easily; in general, I used computer-based editors such as Peak or Spark to handle sample maintenance in the old days (over SMDI or MIDI SDS, for other stuff).

I'm not as sold on the E-mu rack hardware thing as you are–to me, the Emulator X + PCI card was the beginning of the writing on the wall for that concept, which is why I'd rather see a hybrid that doesn't attempt to do too much with a tiny interface.

And while I agree with you that it'd be nice to run samples through analogue filter ICs in a modern instrument, that's no longer enough to justify the R&D required (witness the discussions on the Quantum regarding the lack of FM, even when the rest of the engine is more-than-well-equipped).

It's gotta be a fully-fledged digital instrument, or, alternately, an analogue add-on to an existing digital processing core, with the understanding that, if it's fairly well engineered, that it may outlive the lifespan of the computer systems used to design it in the first place!

I'd be happy with an iPad-based waveform/model editor, some control knobs, decent multimode filters, and a bunch of analogue outs.

Now I think we just have to agree on disagreeing here, because I really do not agree with you on this, as it is a matter of opinion here... I'm saying this because I myself am the contradiction to what you are saying... I want a hardware sampler keyboard more than a computer integrated one... I do not use computers, and I am not the only one with that take on things, wanting to stay as much away from a computer screen as possible... and I am not even the most stubborn when it comes to that, as I like computer editors a lot :)

And I guess that we will never see if you or I am right in our assumptions until someone like DSI or Waldorf create such a machine.... which I still hope :D

I will not disagree with you in that a computer sampler is more easy to use, and more practical because of both processing power and storage fascillities... sure... but for us who do NOT want to use computer softsynths, and who really want a hardware device, we simply cannot use that argument for anything... also the computer world have ONE major flaw with regards to this... as soon as the company do not sell the sampler anymore, they stop production and support of the software meaning, that a hardware sampler would hold it's own a hell of a lot longer than a software one.

Another thing is, that the whole performance aspect is lost on a computer... you do not want to stand on a scene with a laptop, a keyboard and a mouse if you are a performer... that is why a hardware interface, specifically designed for such a sampler keyboard would be preferred by performers. And as far as I hear it when Dave talks about products, he want to make instruments for the performing musician foremost, or at least that is what I make of what he has been saying.

And regarding the Quantum and FM... this is just the usual "we can not get enough" problem ... users just cannot ever get enough, they want it all, and they all want different things, and constantly bicker and argue what is most important and what is not.... just like we do right now over this dream of mine :D

But as I wrote... we just disagree and peace with that, I don't mind, my dream still stands... and maybe I'll just have to keep on dreaming :D

Shaw

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
My reason for wanting a sampler is as I allready explained; it's fast and you have all the modulation going on in the samples themselves, making the rest of the signal chain work more as a "Template"... This means that you do not have to be a sound design wizard to come up with good material, that you can use preset templates for the two sample oscillators... if the sample oscillators could time stretch on the fly as well, it would be even better, as modulation inherent in the samples would keep their time settings no matter where you play on the keyboard (like VariPhrase on V-Synth XT).

Actually I'm selling all my gear at the moment, except for my V-Synth and E5000 Ultra... simply because these two machines can do almost all and everything I need right now... and I get there A LOT faster because I'm using samples instead of spending hours on sounddesigning from static boring waveforms all the time... sure you can not do all with samplers, and for sure the other synthesis types are also intriguing and good (afterall that is what we sample with the samplers hehe)... but it's not like DSI are goinf to make samplers for the rest of their life, just because I'm asking for ONE single product with sample oscillators?
No doubt. I know they don't check all the boxes for you, but i recently put the Kurzweil back in my lineup. Making sounds from good samples is like being already half way to the finish line when you start.  I'm convinced I could make a granular sound using V.A.S.T. -- even though it wasn't designed for such... it's just that powerful.   

But yeah... I'd like to see DSI compete with Waldorf with a modern sampler / granular / wavetable / FMish monstrosity.
If not, Waldorf will get my dough -- though I hope they decide to at least make a 12 voice version.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »

No doubt. I know they don't check all the boxes for you, but i recently put the Kurzweil back in my lineup. Making sounds from good samples is like being already half way to the finish line when you start.  I'm convinced I could make a granular sound using V.A.S.T. -- even though it wasn't designed for such... it's just that powerful.   

But yeah... I'd like to see DSI compete with Waldorf with a modern sampler / granular / wavetable / FMish monstrosity.
If not, Waldorf will get my dough -- though I hope they decide to at least make a 12 voice version.

I've been really disappointed with the recent Kurzweil stuff. I do appreciate that they are doing lower priced models but ditching 5 pin midi is just stupid. Actually a Kurzweil/DSI collaboration would be interesting.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »
Very interesting thread this is.

I have Clavia nord wave that reads samples and processes in subtractive synthesis manner with various kinds of filters like Formant Filter or Multi Peak Filter etc, and also does 6-op FM synthesis, but that's all in digital so may be out of Razmo's scope. It still is a good instrument though.

I did have KORG DSS-1, and E-mu Emax S.E with digital sampling capability coupled with analog VCF/VCA, and in fact modulating samples with their twin oscillators. DSS-1 was able to hard sync the samples. Emax S.E had this Transform Multiplication Synthesis that analyzes two samples in sort of reverse-FFT manner and resynthesizes by multiplying the amplitudes of the common harmonics only in FFT manner. Although it took several tens of minutes to calculate (!!) the Emax S.E was able to make the samples "talk" by analyzing/re-synthesizing a sample with a human voice.
AND as mentioned, both DSS-1 and Emax had analog VCF/VCA. They were very interesting.
BTW, the rack module version DSM-1 didn't have hard sync, and filter resonance, only the keyboard model DSS-1 had.

So may be Razmo want a modern edition of these I suppose, and I think it's not a bad idea.
I do agree that iPad or PC/Mac software samplers offer a great UI and storage capacity, but I also do want to see a hybrid sampling synth with keyboard and knobs. That's part of the reason why I still keep and use the very first edition of Roland V-Synth the keyboard model, although it's full digital it does have TB-filter modeling from Ver.2, and lots of cool stuffs like VariPhrase, polyphonic Feedback Oscillator, TimeTrip pad, Side Band Filter, tons of modeling processors/resonators and so on.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:31:57 AM by NemoSynth »
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

Shaw

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
I've been really disappointed with the recent Kurzweil stuff. I do appreciate that they are doing lower priced models but ditching 5 pin midi is just stupid. Actually a Kurzweil/DSI collaboration would be interesting.
I haven't followed the rest of their line, but I'm really happy with the build quality and connectivity of my Kurzweil PC3K6...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 06:33:47 AM »
I haven't followed the rest of their line, but I'm really happy with the build quality and connectivity of my Kurzweil PC3K6...

They are slowly phasing the PC line out sadly.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
Very interesting thread this is.

I have Clavia nord wave that reads samples and processes in subtractive synthesis manner with various kinds of filters like Formant Filter or Multi Peak Filter etc, and also does 6-op FM synthesis, but that's all in digital so may be out of Razmo's scope. It still is a good instrument though.

I did have KORG DSS-1, and E-mu Emax S.E with digital sampling capability coupled with analog VCF/VCA, and in fact modulating samples with their twin oscillators. DSS-1 was able to hard sync the samples. Emax S.E had this Transform Multiplication Synthesis that analyzes two samples in sort of reverse-FFT manner and resynthesizes by multiplying the amplitudes of the common harmonics only in FFT manner. Although it took several tens of minutes to calculate (!!) the Emax S.E was able to make the samples "talk" by analyzing/re-synthesizing a sample with a human voice.
AND as mentioned, both DSS-1 and Emax had analog VCF/VCA. They were very interesting.
BTW, the rack module version DSM-1 didn't have hard sync, and filter resonance, only the keyboard model DSS-1 had.

So may be Razmo want a modern edition of these I suppose, and I think it's not a bad idea.
I do agree that iPad or PC/Mac software samplers offer a great UI and storage capacity, but I also do want to see a hybrid sampling synth with keyboard and knobs. That's part of the reason why I still keep and use the very first edition of Roland V-Synth the keyboard model, although it's full digital it does have TB-filter modeling from Ver.2, and lots of cool stuffs like VariPhrase, polyphonic Feedback Oscillator, TimeTrip pad, Side Band Filter, tons of modeling processors/resonators and so on.

Yeah... I have the V-Synth XT, and if that only had VCF/VCA... wow... I know about the Nord Wave, and find that it reminds me a lot about the Blofeld in certain ways actually, but certainly a powerful sample manipulator... I also had the DSS-1... really nice analog sound, but a horribly large and heavy monster that is! :D

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
I actually would love the synth to have a body like this

Just so I can lay other stuff on top of it and save myself a stand. ;)

Shaw

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
I actually would love the synth to have a body like this

Just so I can lay other stuff on top of it and save myself a stand. ;)
It's like a built-in pedal board !!!!