Do any of you use the PRO 2 as a primary midi controller?

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
Do any of you use the PRO 2 as a primary midi controller?
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
If so, how's that working out for you? With what DAW, applications?
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

MDMA

Re: Do any of you use the PRO 2 as a primary midi controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »
Previously to purchasing my Pro 2, I bought myself the latest Akai mpk 49 to use in Logic. I loved the keybed and the drum pads. Wanting to have my shiny new synth in front of me though  kind of made me use it as my primary board.
I have to say it is working extremely well. So long as I remember to turn local off and ensure program change messages are disabled out to my other kit. It caused a few swear words to be shouted around the studio as I inadvertently switched patches on my moog, which I had spent a good 20 minutes creating.
Give it a try, its more than capable. I leave my Akai switched on, but I've come to realise how little I actually use the drum pads and other bits I thought I'd miss.   
Also it's worth mentioning that the Pro 2 is class compliant, meaning you don't need any drivers to get it to work.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:51:15 PM by MDMA »
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »
MDMA,

Do you find it inconvenient or cumbersome to have the Pro 2 as your main controller when you're simultaneously using it as a voice in your composition? Just curious regarding your workflow.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

MDMA

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
No, not at all! In fact it quite convenient at the moment as the Pro 2 is my new toy, so most of my work is actually with it.

I find it much easier tbh because I assign any instrument I'm using in my DAW to the same sections of the Pro 2 i.e. Cutoff to the cutoff section of the pro 2, Adsr to the pro 2's Adsr area. It makes things much simpler.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Is it fair to say you're using mostly software synthesizers (plug-ins) with your Pro 2?
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

MDMA

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Yeah, pretty much. The omission of sliders means that I'm still going to use my other controller, probably as a controller for my main mix window in logic, always good to have a few more buttons to twiddle.