What do you use Env3 for mostly?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: What do you use Env3 for mostly?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
... and contain pretty low frequency as well if you're on a woofer  ;)

https://twitter.com/dsiSequential/status/679353267697025024 . o O ( ;) )

Well... my speaker cabinetts allmost sound like one of these sometimes, when too many resonances build up  ;D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dswo

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
That means, that if you set up a stacked layer, and you set Pan Spread to say; +32 on both layers, then both Layers will bounce in tandem because you cannot set the Pan Spread parameter in negative values... If the Pan Spread setting had the possibility to be set in negative values, you could set one layer to have positive Pan Spread, and the other to have Negative Pan Spread... that would insure that one layer will allways sound at the left, while the other Layer will allways sound at the right... thus, if both layers contain almost identical sounds, you get a HUGE stereo perspective....

But one thing to note is, that even though Layer A and B is sounding in oposite sides using the Mod. Matrix, the voices STILL BOUNCE! ... Layer A will still bounce from left to right, and so will Layer B... the only thing the Mod-Matrix trick does is to make sure that Layer A and B is bouncing opposite of each other... and not at the same side simultaneously... thus, if the Layer A and B sound is too different, you'll hear the bouncing.

Thank you, Razmo. That explains it perfectly.
David Wilson-Okamura
English professor

panic

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 05:48:40 AM »

Actualy I don'r think it's possible anyway... I tried it again and could not do it because the sequencers will not allow for negative modulation which is needed for one of the Layers... so Env3 is still the only way... at least until I've found another way  ;D

You can set your modulators to negative amounts, won't it work if you just use the 1-step sequence as a source for one of the modulators in one of the layers?

I love that you can use the sequencers as sources for the modulators, since this also allows them to be used as modulation destinations. This is one of my favorite uses for env 3 as well: create a stepping filter with the sequencer and use the envelope to either increase or decrease the steps in time.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
...I use the ENV3 to give a constant value to the PanSpread parameter, but with opposite polarity between Layer A and B...

What do you mean, amount value -127 for one layer and 127 for the other?

Basicaly yes... but the amount parameter should be +/- 32 ... at least that what I used...

Thank you, it seems that 32 is the sweet spot value where the sound is 100% hard panned but anything above or below -32 gives the same result in stacked mode.

Thank you for this tip, exactly why I started this topic, to get nice ideas :)

(If confused, the destination is actually called "Output Pan", not PanSpread)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:18:14 AM by lnetzel »
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
Yes... it's called Output Pan, but I used the wording from the Prophet 12 because I find this a better describing because it's not a pan pot... it's a parameter that spreads the pan position differently for each voice... you cannot set a direct Pan position with it :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »
Yes... it's called Output Pan, but I used the wording from the Prophet 12 because I find this a better describing because it's not a pan pot... it's a parameter that spreads the pan position differently for each voice... you cannot set a direct Pan position with it :)

That is really "missing" because you can use an LFO to affect the output pan and then is actually sweeps from right to left. It would be nice with a misc setting where you could set a static value per voice but I guess it's a bit hard to update the printed tips on the case of the P08 with an software update... ;)

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:12 PM »

It's a very nice trick Razmo! Thanks! I use the amp envelope to do this, and keep env 3 free for other things. It works fine with short attack settings.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
Here is a demo of some sounds made with doubling the layers, and using Env3 with Pan Spread:

That does sound nice Razmo.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
I often use it with the layer B VCA env amount. So it's just a Automated volume of Layer B. (and sometimes I then put env3 as the destanation of modwheel, so i can dial that in) THese things are super fun when you put a gated seqeuncer/arp on layer B)

I also use it as a glide mode (env3 destination Osc Freq ALL), but It glides with the same value everytime, sometimes from beneath sometimes from above.

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 02:40:37 AM »
I read in the old forum (cant find it now) about thoughts on using ENV3 as source to affect the attack of another Envelope. Reason being to make the attack even shorter of the affected Envelope, I never got this to work much though.

Anyone with deeper experiance about this?

dswo

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:14 AM »
I read in the old forum (cant find it now) about thoughts on using ENV3 as source to affect the attack of another Envelope. Reason being to make the attack even shorter of the affected Envelope, I never got this to work much though.

Are you thinking of this discussion? http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=631
David Wilson-Okamura
English professor