What do you use Env3 for mostly?

What do you use Env3 for mostly?
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Any creative usage to share?
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

Sacred Synthesis

Re: What do you use Env3 for mostly?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »
The most obvious use for the third envelope is a delayed vibrato.  But not only the attack parameter is useful here.  I often set the depth to create a vibrato that is just a tad too wide, and then, with the delay and sustain parameters, have the vibrato decrease to a more musical level.  This creates a very expressive and natural-sounding effect, just like a violin vibrato.

Using the third envelope in this way also frees up the keyboard aftertouch for creating effects other than vibrato.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
Seems once you get used to having a third envelope it's hard to go back to a instrument w/o it.   I've used it for bringing in a delayed oscillator and controlling any delayed lfo attacks.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Seems once you get used to having a third envelope it's hard to go back to a instrument w/o it.

Boy, that's the truth!  I'm spoiled rotten by the classic DSI voice architecture and can hardly make music without it now.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
I quite often use Env3 with a long decay and release, and use that to bring in resonance or noise to a decaying sound.  It's the absence of those kinds of effects that frustrate me on Prophet 6. ;-)

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
Thanks for your comments, I'm still not completely friends with it, but I've played around a little gotten "swells" of things with the release and it gives more live to the patch, it does.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 05:58:32 PM »
The third envelope is an excellent sound design tool if you understand exactly what an envelope is.  Just as the VCA envelope controls volume according to its shape, and the VCF envelope controls the filter according to its shape, so the Env 3 controls modulation behavior according to its shape.  Attack, decay, and release refer to lengths of time, whereas sustain refers to an amount.  Some instruments and manuals have included a useful envelope diagram that adds a visual aspect to envelopes.  Here's one image:

http://www.practical-music-production.com/images/adsr-envelope.jpg
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:38:16 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »
I mostly used the 3rd oscillator for either delayed modulation effects, as a second filter envelope, to control the filter's resonance over time, to control the slave oscillator's pitch in sync mode, or - which was amongst my favorites - to control a LFO frequency.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:56:59 AM »
I actualy use it most for a rather unusual trick... the P08 do not have any means to pan Layer A and B to L/R, which is crucial to make really wide sounding presets... I use the ENV3 to give a constant value to the PanSpread parameter, but with opposite polarity between Layer A and B... this way it's possible to have one layer playing on the left side, and the other layer on the right side... actualy the Layers are still bouncing from one side to the other, but the use of the ENV3 makes it possible that they do not bounce at the same side simultaneously, and if both Layers sound relatively the same (with only minor variances to pitch etc.), then you can get EXTREMELY wide spatial sounds with it.

Lately I've found that you can actualy do the same using the sequencers in step mode too... so there is another way of doing this, if you need ENV3 for other tasks...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »
...I use the ENV3 to give a constant value to the PanSpread parameter, but with opposite polarity between Layer A and B...

What do you mean, amount value -127 for one layer and 127 for the other?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
...I use the ENV3 to give a constant value to the PanSpread parameter, but with opposite polarity between Layer A and B...

What do you mean, amount value -127 for one layer and 127 for the other?

Basicaly yes... but the amount parameter should be +/- 32 ... at least that what I used...

dswo

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 06:04:40 AM »

What a fine thread. Short so far, but oh so useful!

Lately I've found that you can actually do the same using the sequencers in step mode too... so there is another way of doing this, if you need ENV3 for other tasks...

Could you elaborate just a little?
David Wilson-Okamura
English professor

dslsynth

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 06:12:51 AM »

A guess: if you need a constant modulation source and do not use the sequencer for other things a single step sequence can be used as a constant valued modulation source. It can be handy for a number of use cases. Did try that when I was experimenting with synthesizing Simmons drum sounds on an Evolver.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

dswo

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
A guess: if you need a constant modulation source and do not use the sequencer for other things a single step sequence can be used as a constant valued modulation source.

How is a one-step sequence different from just setting the pan value? I'm fully prepared to believe that it is -- I'm just trying to learn how it works.
David Wilson-Okamura
English professor

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
That @StarskyCarr guy who made us very nice videos (P'08 walk-through and P6 vs P'08 comparison) the last few weeks where he mentioned ENV 3 for modulating the OSC 2 FREQ in Hard Sync mode. I tried, pretty cool :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:55:21 AM by lnetzel »

chysn

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
When I had a Mopho, I often used the third envelope to modulate Osc Mix parameter, which basically allowed both oscillators to have independent level envelopes. To do this, I would set Osc Mix to a low value (like all the way to Osc 1).
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »

What a fine thread. Short so far, but oh so useful!

Lately I've found that you can actually do the same using the sequencers in step mode too... so there is another way of doing this, if you need ENV3 for other tasks...

Actualy I don'r think it's possible anyway... I tried it again and could not do it because the sequencers will not allow for negative modulation which is needed for one of the Layers... so Env3 is still the only way... at least until I've found another way  ;D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
A guess: if you need a constant modulation source and do not use the sequencer for other things a single step sequence can be used as a constant valued modulation source.

How is a one-step sequence different from just setting the pan value? I'm fully prepared to believe that it is -- I'm just trying to learn how it works.

To understand this, you have to know, that it's not a Pan setting.... it's the dreaded "Pan Spread" setting... when you use the Pan Spread, the voices jump from left to right, and it's this "hardwired" setting that you just cannot break... so no matter if you use single or layered sounds, if you set some Pan Spread, then the voice will bounce from side to side.

That means, that if you set up a stacked layer, and you set Pan Spread to say; +32 on both layers, then both Layers will bounce in tandem because you cannot set the Pan Spread parameter in negative values... If the Pan Spread setting had the possibility to be set in negative values, you could set one layer to have positive Pan Spread, and the other to have Negative Pan Spread... that would insure that one layer will allways sound at the left, while the other Layer will allways sound at the right... thus, if both layers contain almost identical sounds, you get a HUGE stereo perspective.

The only way to apply negative Pan Spread, is to do it via the Mod Matrix... one layer with possitive amount, and the other Layer with negative amount.

The problem with doing this with the sequencers is that the sequencer's step values cannot be bipolar.

But one thing to note is, that even though Layer A and B is sounding in oposite sides using the Mod. Matrix, the voices STILL BOUNCE! ... Layer A will still bounce from left to right, and so will Layer B... the only thing the Mod-Matrix trick does is to make sure that Layer A and B is bouncing opposite of each other... and not at the same side simultaneously... thus, if the Layer A and B sound is too different, you'll hear the bouncing.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
Here is a demo of some sounds made with doubling the layers, and using Env3 with Pan Spread:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/DoubleLayer.mp3

The only drawback is still that using this trick halves polyphony as you are using two layers, but it's still extremely useable I'd say... it makes the stereo perspective sound a lot like with the old Roland MKS/Juno-series of analog synths.... extreeeemely wide sound that will hit your face and almost destroy all other sounds in the mix  ;D

The demo is only Prophet '08 playing... no external FX.

Note also that the last sounds in the demo are with unison switched on... they are LOUD! ... and contain pretty low frequency as well if you're on a woofer  ;)

This trick is also possible with Prophet 12, but the P12 has the ability to set the actual Pan position via the Mod Matrix, and won't bounce unless you specificaly use the Pan Spread setting.

Now do these sounds with your fancy P6... thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:04:58 PM by Razmo »

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
... and contain pretty low frequency as well if you're on a woofer  ;)

https://twitter.com/dsiSequential/status/679353267697025024 . o O ( ;) )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature