Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?

Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
Hiya all newbie here, I've Just ordered my first synth being a DSI Pro 2 and should hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks. I purchased this mainly because of its many features and capabilities  ;D

I play some keys but mainly guitar and drums and was recently hit by the synth bug being fascinated with the synth sounds and waveforms, hence my purchase of this superb instrument. I witness in one of the Dave Smith demo videos there was a guitar plugged in through it. So my question is has anyone tried using the FX/sequencer/arpeggiator on a DSI Pro 2 with a guitar plugged in through it using valve type combo, or in that fact a digital drum kit aka Roland TD12?

I've also posted this on another forum also to hopefully get some more knowledge as there is little to nothing on the Webz I could find on this particular subject.
Cheers 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:20:43 PM by DrysyBeat_72 »

Re: Has anyone used the Pro 2 as a guitar/drum FX processor?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Download the manual here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Pro-2-Operation-Manual-1.1.pdf?c3d4ed

And have look at page 73 - 75.

This shows the basics of setting up the envelope follower to effect the filters, so this may be a place to start to get an Auto Wah type effect for your guitars.

Using an expression pedal you could then try using the wah effect controlled by that rather than the envelope follower.

Next you have the 4 delays to play with. These can be modulated to create flanging/chorus type effects that also react to the envelope follower.

Then you can start getting adventurous, an external audio signal can be used to trigger the envelopes and sequencer. You need to set up the trigger level (page 19), now you can use the envs and sequencer to modulate the filters, delays, distortion etc.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Download the manual here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Pro-2-Operation-Manual-1.1.pdf?c3d4ed

And have look at page 73 - 75.

This shows the basics of setting up the envelope follower to effect the filters, so this may be a place to start to get an Auto Wah type effect for your guitars.

Using an expression pedal you could then try using the wah effect controlled by that rather than the envelope follower.

Next you have the 4 delays to play with. These can be modulated to create flanging/chorus type effects that also react to the envelope follower.

Then you can start getting adventurous, an external audio signal can be used to trigger the envelopes and sequencer. You need to set up the trigger level (page 19), now you can use the envs and sequencer to modulate the filters, delays, distortion etc.
Excellent looks promising. I'm looking forward to experimenting and recording some new sounds, and I'm sure over time there'll be others that follow. 

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »
I've had my Pro 2 for less than a day now, just posted a quick recording of processing drums through it, as well as a synth; recorded in separate passes and thrown together just as a quick test.

I really like it, the envelope following is great, and I've just now learned that there are more controls for that (attack/release). You can get really nasty very easily if you want with various points to drive the signal, plus hack and decimate.
https://soundcloud.com/heckadecimal/pro-test

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
Hiya all newbie here, I've Just ordered my first synth being a DSI Pro 2 and should hopefully arrive in a couple of weeks. I purchased this mainly because of its many features and capabilities  ;D

I play some keys but mainly guitar and drums and was recently hit by the synth bug being fascinated with the synth sounds and waveforms, hence my purchase of this superb instrument. I witness in one of the Dave Smith demo videos there was a guitar plugged in through it. So my question is has anyone tried using the FX/sequencer/arpeggiator on a DSI Pro 2 with a guitar plugged in through it using valve type combo, or in that fact a digital drum kit aka Roland TD12?

I've also posted this on another forum also to hopefully get some more knowledge as there is little to nothing on the Webz I could find on this particular subject.
Cheers 8)

I was in a studio yesterday, and in between one of our takes, we threw a DiPinto Galaxie 4 Deluxe DI into my Pro 2.
I had to see how the filters sounded processing the guitar, and wow! I turned up the distortion a tad to give the DiPinto some dirt, and this thing sounded just as good as the Kemper we normally run it through. I also tossed a bit of delay in the signal, and couldn't be more impressed. Lastly I figured out that I could create a sequence on the step sequencer to create a tremolo effect. We were amazed at how good it sounded! We lost about an hour(or gained depending on your perspective), having fun processing a guitar with my Pro 2.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:29:37 PM by SKmakesthings »