Novation Peak

RobH

Novation Peak
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Novation enter the market with a nifty little polysynth it seems! 8 voice digital/analog hybrid synth with a shed load of modulations, 2 envelopes, effects and some other neat touches mod matrix being one of them!

£1250uk

Could be a nice little synth! The sound on sound review comes out tommorow but i think i already know that its going to say two things. It sounds good and the price is right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKzF_9KdCQ
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:45:17 PM by RobH »

Re: Novation Peak
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »
The design looks relatively easy to operate–and there is definitely something to be said for the inclusion of sliders for the envelopes, as a nod to Roland's conventions in that area.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
This and the new Waldorf would definitely give a PolyRevolver a run for it's money...  who knew we'd have 2 new awesome hybrids this spring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5f86IYxTY0

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »
Shame it's not a keyboard version.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »
Waldorf Quantum will not be out until the end of the year, so that makes ONE hybrid synth this spring :D

The Peak looks interesting for sure, especially that it's oscillators are run at this incredible speed which reminds me of custom chips in the old days... big step forward in my opinion, so that something can be done about all that aliasing normally associated with digital oscillators.... they say it is litterally like analog oscillators in quality... neat.

I agree though, that it's good to see more and more companies figure out, that we want hybrids, as to get best of both worlds, instead of all these analog mono and polys one after the other... it's becoming quite boring really.

Wonder what DSI will conjure up next to compete with all these new things.... except the Waldorf Quantum of course, it won't be out until much later... if at all... we know Waldorf and release dates... it may be two or three years, unless they have improved since the Pulse 2.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
Waldorf Quantum will not be out until the end of the year, so that makes ONE hybrid synth this spring :D

The Peak looks interesting for sure, especially that it's oscillators are run at this incredible speed which reminds me of custom chips in the old days... big step forward in my opinion, so that something can be done about all that aliasing normally associated with digital oscillators.... they say it is litterally like analog oscillators in quality... neat.

I agree though, that it's good to see more and more companies figure out, that we want hybrids, as to get best of both worlds, instead of all these analog mono and polys one after the other... it's becoming quite boring really.

Wonder what DSI will conjure up next to compete with all these new things.... except the Waldorf Quantum of course, it won't be out until much later... if at all... we know Waldorf and release dates... it may be two or three years, unless they have improved since the Pulse 2.

I really don't know what else DSI can do in the analog realm other than a multi-timbral 20 voice analog monster (Which I don't think we'll see) but I don't think we will see a pure digital synth from DSI/Sequential any time soon. I've said it before but I think it would be nice if they did something completely out of the ordinary and do a synth that's VS/FM based with Prophet 2000 samples included and perhaps an on board 10 track sequencer. Just something random like that. I actually think it would be quite successful because of how different it would be from everything else coming out.

With the Rev2, it just seems like such a small step. It sort of goes against Dave's whole "if you want more, use the module" mentality when people ask for more voices, more octaves etc. It's neat but it really doesn't offer that much different than if you were to polychain two P08s save for a better layout and more mod options. I mean it's a step forward but it's a baby step for a company that releases essentially 1 synth a year.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

I really don't know what else DSI can do in the analog realm other than a multi-timbral 20 voice analog monster (Which I don't think we'll see) but I don't think we will see a pure digital synth from DSI/Sequential any time soon. I've said it before but I think it would be nice if they did something completely out of the ordinary and do a synth that's VS/FM based with Prophet 2000 samples included and perhaps an on board 10 track sequencer. Just something random like that. I actually think it would be quite successful because of how different it would be from everything else coming out.

With the Rev2, it just seems like such a small step. It sort of goes against Dave's whole "if you want more, use the module" mentality when people ask for more voices, more octaves etc. It's neat but it really doesn't offer that much different than if you were to polychain two P08s save for a better layout and more mod options. I mean it's a step forward but it's a baby step for a company that releases essentially 1 synth a year.

Well... I have been asking for a DSI sample based synth for quite some time... with analog filters and amplifiers, as such a sampler has been missing on the market for quite some time now... preferably one with modern storage fascilities, and a deep audiorate modulation engine like on the P12... but that synth is now called the QUANTUM SYNTHESIZER ... still, DSI could do one and try to compete with it...

Other than that, I have also been talking for a long time about a synth where the oscillators are based on FM, but with analog filters etc... if you had a full blown DX7 voice as a complete oscillator (of say 2-3 oscillators in total), going into an analog filter and VCA, that would create some really cool and different sounds... with eight voices like that and we would be talking... and just imagine you could load SysEx from real DX7 voices into the oscillators, giving access to thousands of voices as oscillators... maybe even a new FM algorithm would be better... as long as an algorithm has only ONE carrier, the output will essential be a "single oscillator" as there will be no beating between oscillators, but the nice part would be that these oscillators are not static... with dedicated LFO's and even EGs for each such oscillator, you could create endlessly evolving oscillator tones... it would be a goldmine of experimental sounds for Ambient music for example...

so I don't buy into the notion, that DSI is "out of idears"... they just have to start using their imagination and create something UNIQUE because I think that is what the market is drooling for right now... we do NOT want more new Prophets please!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:43:48 PM by Razmo »

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:49:13 PM »

Well... I have been asking for a DSI sample based synth for quite some time... with analog filters and amplifiers, as such a sampler has been missing on the market for quite some time now... preferably one with modern storage fascilities, and a deep audiorate modulation engine like on the P12... but that synth is now called the QUANTUM SYNTHESIZER ... still, DSI could do one and try to compete with it...

Other than that, I have also been talking for a long time about a synth where the oscillators are based on FM, but with analog filters etc... if you had a full blown DX7 voice as a complete oscillator (of say 2-3 oscillators in total), going into an analog filter and VCA, that would create some really cool and different sounds... with eight voices like that and we would be talking... and just imagine you could load SysEx from real DX7 voices into the oscillators, giving access to thousands of voices as oscillators... maybe even a new FM algorithm would be better... as long as an algorithm has only ONE carrier, the output will essential be a "single oscillator" as there will be no beating between oscillators, but the nice part would be that these oscillators are not static... with dedicated LFO's and even EGs for each such oscillator, you could create endlessly evolving oscillator tones... it would be a goldmine of experimental sounds for Ambient music for example...

so I don't buy into the notion, that DSI is "out of idears"... they just have to start using their imagination and create something UNIQUE because I think that is what the market is drooling for right now... we do NOT want more new Prophets please!!!

Unless it's a Prophet FM right ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:03:46 AM »
hmm.... I guess I would live with the name, but really... it's getting a little too predictable with that name :D

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:23 AM »
hmm.... I guess I would live with the name, but really... it's getting a little too predictable with that name :D

I mean it's no different than Fender with the name Stratocaster. Sequential and DSI have been doing Prophets for a long time...butthe name has meaning and it's a brand in and of itself. Got to do what the fans and the market want because essentially that's where most synths from DSI/Sequential are going to originate from, so can't run away from it.  I just hope they start using the name Sequential on more products. What a waste if they don't.

eXode

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:34 AM »
Just read the SoS review. I couldn't deduce if there was sync (from watching the various videos), but apparently there's VSync on each oscillator that can be applied on every waveform. Furthermore there's some sort of density option for the sawtooth. I have to say that it looks like quite a tasty instrument, and the fact that it responds to poly AT is a nice plus. I'm thinking that the Peak could be a very nice complement to a REV2. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:19:09 AM by eXode »

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »
Here's a really comprehensive look at it...  https://youtu.be/GDf2TbhFE9M
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
I have the SOS Review in PDF format if anyone is interested... Just PM me your email address.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
This and the new Waldorf would definitely give a PolyRevolver a run for it's money...  who knew we'd have 2 new awesome hybrids this spring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5f86IYxTY0

Strangely, and fortunately for my bank account,  I have no desire for either the new Waldorf or the new Novation.  Nothing against either brand- as I've had instruments from both.  But I think I'm finally GASed out, at least with the standard form of synths we've been seeing.   Just my opinion here...but Pro 2 was probably the last really innovative twist out there in keyboard synth land.    I got to agree with Lobo Lives- who- I believe mentioned that something refreshing would be nice.  A new hardware additive would be nice.  Anyway...my wife tells me that I have more than enough equipment already to make any of the sounds touted thus far ::), so other than a curiosity buy I'll probably need to shy away.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
Consider yourself blessed, Soundquest, for not being driven by a craving for more, more, and more.  It's smarter and happier to instead become an expert with what one does already own.   

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
But I think I'm finally GASed out, at least with the standard form of synths we've been seeing.   Just my opinion here...but Pro 2 was probably the last really innovative twist out there in keyboard synth land.    I got to agree with Lobo Lives- who- I believe mentioned that something refreshing would be nice.  A new hardware additive would be nice.

I'm just curious.  Does this mean you won't be replacing your Prophet '08 with a Prophet Rev2?  What are the reasons?

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »
Correct,  I will not be replacing my PO8 with REV 2 , or not yet at least.   Before REV2 came along I had considered buying another PO8 as a back up- as I expect eventually the one I have shall one day die.   REV2 is the obvious replacement choice now- if I wish to retain that type of sound in my studio, which I do.   

I guess one reason I'm not buying right away was just that I had already purchased two instruments in one year, one of which was the OB6.   When I do go the REV 2 route, then  I'd prefer to spend the extra dollars and get all 16 voices right up front.   Anyway,  I started to rationalize other reasons from there.....   I figure as long as my PO8 is working I can be very happy with it and not feel jealous.  I really don't mind using the Lexicon and Strymon for effects.  The polyphonic sequencer on the REV 2, looks wonderful, but lacks an ingredient for the way I personally like to use the sequencer on the PO8 (being able to transpose on the fly).   I suppose by time I'm ready- any of the REV2 bugs should be worked out and DSI may also have decided to allow the transpose ability on the sequencer. 

I think my ultimate goal with buy any synth from now on is to make sure that what I'm buying gets me something that offers a different sound than what I already own.  OR....even more importantly,  preserves and replaces an existing sound I love, like the PO8 and PEK.    I was somewhat critical of the P12 when it first came out, partly just due to lack of good demos at that time.  But after working with the Pro2 similar architecture, and seeing some wonderful P12 demos, the P12 enters my mind once in a while as an option for a future toy. 

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Shaw

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 06:16:46 AM »
Novation refuses to release the spec of Sysex for the Peak.The MIDI implementation is an inconsistent mix of control messages. So that makes it even more easy to stay with DSI ! :-) Please DSI never stop supporting an open MIDI implementation for all instruments. You are probably the last hope. Many companies have decided to make their MIDI implementations hidden and proprietary, in the past few years, like Roland, Nord, KMI, Roli and many others...

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
Here's the manual...   https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/15610/peak-ug-en.pdf

The CC / CC pair / NRPN thing makes my head hurt...imagine trying to develop an editor for that!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000