The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Novation Peak

Razmo

Re: Novation Peak
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
Yeah... But the PEAK is totaly off the Thomann site and have been for some weeks now, and when they were there the price was considerably less than what they go for even now for no apparent reason... Normally at Thomann, if they are out of stock, the product is still there to be seen... But when they disappear they usually do not come back again which seems weird, as this is a rather popular synth...

As you know, I'm living in Germany, but not only this: Treppendorf (the small village where the thomann headquarters are) is only about 30km away from me, so I'm visiting their showroom quite often. My last visit was about two weeks ago and it happened that I asked about the disappeared PEAK on their website ( I have a PEAK myself and was looking for signs of an upcoming keyboard version so I wanted to look at Thomanns current price so I noticed it disappeared, too). I was told by one of the employees that I personally know, that Thomann would not earn a single at the PEAKs current price point but they still had costs for logistics, so they temporarily took it out of their range. I do not know if that is really all and if it's true at all, or if this is just the version that he was allowed to tell me.

At a former visit I took a (bad) picture of the shelf with the DSI synth for a friend of mine. I will leave it here for you just for fun ;-)

Strange because nothing stops them from raising their price on the PEAK if they earn nothing on it... All other retailers have them at a much higher price so they would still be competitive.

It is just "that feeling" I have... Feels like retailers are trying to get rid of their last stock, and then it disappears. GEar4music had six left last I watched, and had a "for sale" sign on them.

Just seems odd to me...

Anyway, I will not be buying anything in that category (polysynth) until earliest June, so I'll probably know by then  :)

jok3r

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 03:50:02 AM »
It sounds like bullshit for me, too. As I said: perhaps this was the version he was allowed to tell. I hope for a coming keyboard version of the PEAK, even if the price for the module decreases. Perhaps if a keyboard version shows up, it will have a polychain mode... that would be really cool and justify a purchase even if one has a module already.

But if I remember right Novation was showing the PEAK for the first time at Superbooth... so I don't have much hopes for NAMM.
Prophet Rev2, Novation Peak, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES,  Akai MPK 261

Razmo

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 04:37:55 AM »
It sounds like bullshit for me, too. As I said: perhaps this was the version he was allowed to tell. I hope for a coming keyboard version of the PEAK, even if the price for the module decreases. Perhaps if a keyboard version shows up, it will have a polychain mode... that would be really cool and justify a purchase even if one has a module already.

But if I remember right Novation was showing the PEAK for the first time at Superbooth... so I don't have much hopes for NAMM.

I'm just thinking that it would probably be a bigger version that would come out if any... the trend is 16 voices these days for hybrid/analog synths... and I doubt they would stop selling it if it would still be in production... even if a 16 voice desktop version came out, there would still be a market for the 8 voice version I think... for some reason i have this feeling, that IF it happens that something new comes out, that no one would want the PEAK anymore... otherwise there would be no reason not to sell it still...

So unless they plan on selling an identical 16 voice version so cheap that it would not make sense (or be possible) to sell the 8 voice version at a profitable pricepoint, then I think they are working on an improved newer version (A MKII type of thing maybe).

eXode

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »
FYI thomann has dropped products in the past, the Deepmind is another example of a product series that was dropped because of low margins (it is back now, fwiw).

It makes pretty much no sense that Novation would drop the Peak IMHO, considering they just released a pretty substantial firmware update for it.