Voices randomly falling out

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Voices randomly falling out
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
Unfortunately after some more testing this problem DID happen to me using only Factory sounds (specifically the Burnt Neon & Funk Kit project).

Basically, I just erased a beat and created my own pattern.  I made a fairly busy sequence, one that would surely use all 6 voices at once in certain parts of the beat, but not steal voices.  I let the beat just run on loop in the background, and eventually after a few minutes it started acting strange and dropping voices.  When I stopped the sequence, I then tried assigning a sound to a specific voice and sure enough Voice 1 had gone completely silent on me.

I've just reloaded the Burnt Neon & Funk Kit project, initialized a beat, and entered a busy pattern.  I have not been able to replicate any issues with dropped voices.

Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
Unfortunately after some more testing this problem DID happen to me using only Factory sounds (specifically the Burnt Neon & Funk Kit project).

Basically, I just erased a beat and created my own pattern.  I made a fairly busy sequence, one that would surely use all 6 voices at once in certain parts of the beat, but not steal voices.  I let the beat just run on loop in the background, and eventually after a few minutes it started acting strange and dropping voices.  When I stopped the sequence, I then tried assigning a sound to a specific voice and sure enough Voice 1 had gone completely silent on me.

I've just reloaded the Burnt Neon & Funk Kit project, initialized a beat, and entered a busy pattern.  I have not been able to replicate any issues with dropped voices.

Thanks for checking.  I've been using it since and haven't been able to replicate it as well, so it seems like it was a one-off thing.

idm

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »

Have you been able to replicate the issue as previously described though? Using old projects in a new OS will result in voices dropping. Is there a possible fix for this?

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
I'm getting this bug on 1.4.5.2 For the current live set I'm working on, I have all voices separately patched and assigned and every once in a while a voice will drop out. It seems to either be voice 1 or or voices 5 and 6 but that may just be a fluke. It also seems to happen in my case after a period of the Tempest being on and not used - ie I'm busy tweaking something else for an hour and come back to the Tempest and the voice is silent until I power cycle. I haven't had it cut while I'm in the middle of playing it yet.
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 03:21:54 AM »
I'm having the same problem since a few weeks. 2 days ago, I did a backup, re-installed voice and main update, re-imported and calibrated. It looked good. No problems over the period of 2 day, now I just lost a voice, again.
For live, this is very inconvenient. I really hope there is a fix for this.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
Question for users who have encountered the drop voice issue...when a voice is dropped, is it related to a sound which is assigned to a specific voice?  Does the sound in question have any choke settings?  If so, is the pad set to choke itself and does turning of the choke resolve the issue.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »
Question for users who have encountered the drop voice issue...when a voice is dropped, is it related to a sound which is assigned to a specific voice?  Does the sound in question have any choke settings?  If so, is the pad set to choke itself and does turning of the choke resolve the issue.

Thanks for checking in Carson.  For me no choke settings were in place.  When the voice drop issue has happened to me in the past, it would sometimes happen both when a sound was assigned to a specific voice and when it wasn't. Haven't had the time to test this out recently, but I'll try and see if I can get it to happen again.

If it helps at all, I can tell you that the issue happened much more frequently when I used to try to load sounds created in an earlier beta into the current OS.  Not sure if that counts as a bug at this point though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:58:05 PM by AdamXAudio »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Have you been using LFO sync with restart modes active?
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
Ok. nevermind all that, Ive finally seen the voice dropping issue and will look into defining the behavior better.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:37 PM »
Ok. nevermind all that, Ive finally seen the voice dropping issue and will look into defining the behavior better.

Awesome!  Well not awesome that it's a bug, but glad you've finally encountered what some of us have been seeing :)

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
Hey Carson

I've pasted my same reply here over from the 1.4.5.6 thread as I'm actually on 1.4.5.2 so no need to clutter that thread up:

As per your questions:

No choke settings on my sound, but it tends to happen more often on a certain sound / beat (though has been project wide). Also has happened most often on voices 1 and 5 and 6 but hasn't ever happened on voice 4 yet to my knoledge. This may just be fluke or something I haven't noticed though - my current set has all the voices individually patched out and voice 1 is always kick and so on so it's easy for me to recall which sounds (and therefor which voices) have dropped recently.

My voices drop with or without Tempest sequencer running and as I noted before, it seems to happen more often after a period of the Tempest being on but not used (like 20 minutes of inactivity). I've only got a midi in cable attached from an Octatrack for sequencing only (no transport or clock sent), no usb.
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 03:33:12 AM »
I've had the exact same problem as Trevor and I too have noticed it seems to happen after the Tempest has been on for a while. 

RobH

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 04:37:06 AM »
I've had the exact same problem as Trevor and I too have noticed it seems to happen after the Tempest has been on for a while.

The latest beta OS has had some iteration upon the voices dropping, none of the beta testers have been having the drops with the newest OS (1.4.5.12). Possibly try that if its a problem although if you have gigs lined up etc make sure to note the current OS your on and back everything up beforehand as it is a beta afterall. I'm finding the latest patch to be the best OS yet (so far).

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 05:17:26 AM »
False alarm he didn't understand Tempest's voice architecture..

The latest beta OS has had some iteration upon the voices dropping, none of the beta testers have been having the drops with the newest OS (1.4.5.12). Possibly try that if its a problem although if you have gigs lined up etc make sure to note the current OS your on and back everything up beforehand as it is a beta afterall. I'm finding the latest patch to be the best OS yet (so far).

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
No one (Really!) wants to be an unpaid Beta tester but would it not be prudent to install the latest Beta (1.4.5.12)and work with it to get the Tempest to the stable OS finish line??
Tim

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I think I could be experiencing an issue similar to the one described here. I bought my Tempest at the end of last year and so my OS is as follows:

Main OS: 1.4.0
Voice OS: 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.4
Panel OS: 1.3
Sam OS: 1.1

Anyway, I've noticed that this issue has come up a few times. At first I thought I was simply exceeding the limitations of the six voices but it has happened on some pretty sparse projects so I came to check here and this seems to be the best match for what I've experienced.

I started a project from init. I made a kick using one of the methods that AdamXAudio describes in his YouTube videos - sounds nice! It sequences without any problems.

I added a clap and sequenced them on the off beats - so far, so predictable!

I then tweaked one of the factory included lead sounds and switched into 16 tunings mode and played it into the sequence.

The kick and clap continue to play in the sequence, as per their presence in event mode.

The lead does not play in the sequence, despite having notes present in the sequence (visible in event mode or via the corresponding blinking of its pad). Playing the pad over the top of my very basic sequence does not cause any voices to be stolen from the kick or clap (and don't see why it should since I am using 3 voices by my own count).

I have tried assigning a specific voice to the lead but this does not remedy the issue, irrespective of which voice I assign to it. I have also checked the chokes and the mutes but this does not seem to be the issue. I have also tried resetting the unit but the issue remains. I have not updated the OS.

Similar things have happened in other projects (some of which would have been built around factory projects) but I was not confident that it wasn't my ineptitude (I'm yet to rule that one out) or just exceeding six voices.

Is this the same issue that users are describing here? I don't have things drop out for a bar but it seems kind of similar.

Should I contact support about this matter? It is quite frustrating in that inhibits my ability to really get into the Tempest because I'm never sure if the next sound will inexplicably fail to be heard in my sequence. However, if it is a known issue and a solution is being developed then I don't mind waiting for it to be resolved.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any helpful advice that anyone can offer.

DSI gear:

Tempest
OB-6 desktop
Pro 2

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
The voice dropout feature has been fixed in the latest available BETA OS version.  You can find the BETA OS thread here:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
Thanks so much, Carson
DSI gear:

Tempest
OB-6 desktop
Pro 2

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
I thought I'd follow up and report that the update has indeed resolved the issue.

Thanks again, I'm very happy that this has been resolved.
DSI gear:

Tempest
OB-6 desktop
Pro 2