Sending Tempest Patterns to my R8M(?)

maNŒuvre

• That which cannot be put into words...
    • Music
Sending Tempest Patterns to my R8M(?)
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
I thought this was going to be easy...  :) I want to use some pads on my Tempest to send Midi notes to my R8M. To enable me to mix a few Roland classic sounds into my funky Tempest patterns. When I play my pads on channel 10 for both machines, R8M sounds are playing fine, for each pad on its note number. But, if I record a pattern, then the R8M is not being triggered(?) The pattern is not sending the Midi data. So far I've only found the Midi Sequencer Out Channel in 'System' as a solution. Sending one pad on a midi channel other than 10 to my R8M. I guess I could set up several pads with the right midi note numbers. But I had hoped to duplicate my Tempest patterns directly into my R8M, and then select which sounds to mute in either machine…

Is there a way to do this without setting my R8M to the synth out channel? (I've still got to learn how to change the midi note out for each synth pad if that's my only solution)!

Thanks!
'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.' Victor Hugo

Re: Sending Tempest Patterns to my R8M(?)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:07 AM »
I thought this was going to be easy...  :) I want to use some pads on my Tempest to send Midi notes to my R8M. To enable me to mix a few Roland classic sounds into my funky Tempest patterns. When I play my pads on channel 10 for both machines, R8M sounds are playing fine, for each pad on its note number. But, if I record a pattern, then the R8M is not being triggered(?) The pattern is not sending the Midi data. So far I've only found the Midi Sequencer Out Channel in 'System' as a solution. Sending one pad on a midi channel other than 10 to my R8M. I guess I could set up several pads with the right midi note numbers. But I had hoped to duplicate my Tempest patterns directly into my R8M, and then select which sounds to mute in either machine…

Is there a way to do this without setting my R8M to the synth out channel? (I've still got to learn how to change the midi note out for each synth pad if that's my only solution)!

Thanks!

I'll have to think about it.... I have a Tempest, R8 and R8m too....

As for the R8's they're flexible .... I thought the Tempest will transmit MIDI note numbers for the pads (I have to look in the manual to be sure), in which case it should simply be a matter of setting the sounds you want to those MIDI note numbers.

In the Tempest Manual 1.3 on page-63 it says:

System: MIDI Remote Pad Play

1  Remote Pad IN Channel: All, 1...16—Sets the incoming MIDI chan- nel for MIDI note-to-pad playback and recording. The note-to-pad mapping is programmed using the MIDI Note : Pad mapping described below.

2  Remote Pad OUT Channel: Off, 1...16—Sets the channel on which Tempest’s pads transmit MIDI note and velocity data. The pads transmit MIDI data in 16 Sounds, 16 Tunings, and 16 Levels modes. When 16 Sounds is selected, pressing a sound pad sends the MIDI note number assigned to the Pad in “4-35 MIDI Note: Pad A1-B16” described on the following page. When set to Off, note and velocity messages are not transmitted (but clock and start/stop/ continue messages are).

Note: When ‘16 Tunings’ is selected, the same MIDI note number is sent for all 16 pads, using the note number assigned to the sound pad playing from all the pads. However, it is possible to send MIDI note numbers in the selected tuning as played from the 16 pads in ‘16 Tunings’ mode. To do this, go to the “MIDI Polyphonic Keyboard Play” screen and set “MIDI: Synth Sound” to the same sound pad as used in “16 Tunings,” then set the “MIDI:Synth IN Channel” to a channel other than the one selected above.

In the following section it mentions setting the pads MIDI note number for incoming MIDI data, I would assume the assigned MIDI note number is for both incoming and outgoing MIDI data....

4-35  MIDI Note: Pad A1-B16: Any MIDI key—When remotely triggering sounds from received MIDI Note messages, you can assign which note number triggers each pad. Assign each of the 16 pads in banks A and B to a MIDI note number of your choice.
A MIDI note can only be assigned to a single pad. If you try to assign a MIDI note that has already been assigned, the display will read, (Used:Pad ??) and show the pad where the MIDI note has been assigned.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:34:14 AM »
You can't record/transmit polyphonically in Tempest's sequencer.The only way to trigger R8M from Tempest's sequencer is via it's one sequencer out channel.If it could transmit 16 channels it would be heaven!You can record Polyphonically though Tempest in your DAW and transmit from there to R8M...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:42:14 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

maNŒuvre

• Music
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:36 AM »
You can't record/transmit polyphonically in Tempest's sequencer.The only way to trigger R8M from Tempest's sequencer is via it's one sequencer out channel.If it could transmit 16 channels it would be heaven!You can record Polyphonically though Tempest in your DAW and transmit from there to R8M..

Thanks guys! Yes, it looked like polyphonic is the way. I'll have to look into that more. But that limits me to one pad per track, as far as I can tell. And limits any R8M doddlings! Hmmm. I might be better off going back to recording the R8M into my Squarp Pyramid. I had just started to get into programming beats on my Tempest though!  8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:27:13 AM by maNŒuvre »
'Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.' Victor Hugo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »
Damn man you have the pyramid and want to sequence with T...That's what I call an overkill!
You can't record/transmit polyphonically in Tempest's sequencer.The only way to trigger R8M from Tempest's sequencer is via it's one sequencer out channel.If it could transmit 16 channels it would be heaven!You can record Polyphonically though Tempest in your DAW and transmit from there to R8M..

Thanks guys! Yes, it looked like polyphonic is the way. I'll have to look into that more. But that limits me to one pad per track, as far as I can tell. And limits any R8M doddlings! Hmmm. I might be better off going back to recording the R8M into my Squarp Pyramid. I had just started to get into programming beats on my Tempest though!  8)

maNŒuvre

• Music
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
Ha! Yes, you'd think so...I started sequencing a TR8 with the Pyramid which has super swing power! But when I got rid of the TR8 & got the Tempest, I was so impressed with the live sequencing and expression of the Tempest, that I suddenly started to enjoy setting up a Tempest beats-Playlist and improvising on the Pyramid, around that. It's such an expressive beat box. I just want to integrate a couple of classic Roland sound, via the R8M.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »
You can't record/transmit polyphonically in Tempest's sequencer.The only way to trigger R8M from Tempest's sequencer is via it's one sequencer out channel.If it could transmit 16 channels it would be heaven!You can record Polyphonically though Tempest in your DAW and transmit from there to R8M...

Cheers!

Hmmm.... but I was thinking this..... the Temptest does transmit note numbers for each of it's pads, correct?

And since there are 2 banks of sounds/pads assign a "silent" sound (sounds like a contradiction) to a few pads. On the R8m assign the sounds you want to be triggered by those note numbers of those Tempest pads. That's something I planned to try later too.

Wouldn't that work?

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

maNŒuvre

• Music
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

Hmmm.... but I was thinking this..... the Temptest does transmit note numbers for each of it's pads, correct?

And since there are 2 banks of sounds/pads assign a "silent" sound (sounds like a contradiction) to a few pads. On the R8m assign the sounds you want to be triggered by those note numbers of those Tempest pads. That's something I planned to try later too.

Wouldn't that work?
[/quote]

Hey, what a good idea! I guess that should work fine.  :D Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
Ye it can transmit note numbers only if you perform on the pads.If you record that performance in Tempest's sequencer it will play it monophonically even if you played polyphonic chords and such...But if you record that performance in a DAW it can record polyphonically..

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:04:42 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »

Wouldn't that work?

Hey, what a good idea! I guess that should work fine.  :D Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome!
I was thinking of doing the same with my R8 or R8m but never got around to it.