Some more REV2 sounds…

Re: Some more REV2 sounds…
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
Very cool.
Waiting for my pre order is getting harder and harder every day :)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
There's me thinking it's going to be a single track, no 59 tracks!

Nice job Paul, listening through them now...

wavelogue

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »
Great stuff - I particularly liked tracks 31 Ambient and 53 Pastoral

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
Excellent!
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
REV2 hype train has gotten a little to quiet.... Peak is hyping like crazy. Multiple new demos a week. I want more REV2 sounds!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Don't worry.  Within two months there will be plenty.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »
Yes indeed, 13 minutes and 42 seconds even from "once upon a synth" - nice, very nice: https://youtu.be/_WFM--WmT2M
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:26:57 PM by Gerry Havinga »
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
Yes, he's a member of the forum.  He goes by the name "Bloodsample" and is a big Pro 2 fan. 

And welcome to you, Gerry.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:39:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:25 AM »
Thanks! And I haven't even got my first DSI synth yet. Waiting for the Rev2  ;). I did read the manual cover to back  :D
Still have to wait till beginning of July before my local shop here in the Netherlands will stock the Rev 2. They do have my order though.

Also here, in this forum, I would like to thank you, Sacred Synthesis. The wonderful inspiring way you create your music with the "stack" of Prophet 8s. Amazingly beautiful, I keep listening to it. Full with emotion, feelings and joy ;-). You have inspired me writing my latest track to celebrate my partner and myself's 10 year anniversary. It is also my first Soundcloud upload ..... As it is not featuring a DSI instrument, this forum is not the right place. Later when I know the Rev2 a bit, I will post a link with music I wrote for/with it. Partly because of the way you create your music with the Prophet 8 I became convinced the Rev 2 was the right choice for me.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
Thanks, Gerry.  That was far too much gushing, but I'll accept it.  ;D

dsetto

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Agreed with Gerry.

---
Paul, I'm finally listening to your demos. Very nice. Are these multi-tracked or just recordings of one live performance, with one Rev 2?

Track 47, Engine Room. Maybe genius.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:09:20 AM by dsetto »

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
Agreed with Gerry.

---
Paul, I'm finally listening to your demos. Very nice. Are these multi-tracked or just recordings of one live performance, with one Rev 2?

Track 47, Engine Room. Maybe genius.

Thank you for making it through, dsetto!  ;D

Only afterwards, it occured to me that it may have been better to just upload one long track.

And no, I didn't record any multitracks. Those are all single patches per track, and sometimes only single layer variations I've played. Well, in fact I didn't play too many of those examples, as most of the tracks you've heard are the actual sequences I've programmed. I only played live on tracks 1, 3, 27, 32, 33, and 50.

And thanks for pointing out the "Engine Room" patch. It was one of my favorites to program.

dsetto

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
That's very interesting that there were no multitracking. ... I like your presentation of many short discrete pieces, rather than all as one. SoundCloud plays them continuously. ... it was confusing when my ears perked up, and noticed it had gone to your OB6 demo. That was gnarly.

Out of curiosity, I assume sequences are mostly sequences programmed in a DAW. Right? ... And perhaps some are sequenced on the Rev 2.

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »
Out of curiosity, I assume sequences are mostly sequences programmed in a DAW. Right? ... And perhaps some are sequenced on the Rev 2.

No, I just used Ableton to record the audio. Everything has been sequenced with the REV2.

dsetto

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »
What?! Impossible! All the sequenced tracks on your SoundCloud demo were sequenced within the DSI Prophet Rev2, using the Rev2 internal sequencer?

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 02:02:58 AM »
What?! Impossible! All the sequenced tracks on your SoundCloud demo were sequenced within the DSI Prophet Rev2, using the Rev2 internal sequencer?

If we're talking about the same set, then the answer is yes. Exceptions are only tracks 1, 3, 27, 32, 33, and 50, which I played - at least partially - manually, i.e. sometimes over an ongoing sequence from the other layer of the according patch. There's of course some knob tweaking, use of mod wheel, etc. here and there. But in most cases, I just hit the play button of the poly sequencer.

Track 5 is a fairly conventional example for that, where one layer is playing back the bass sequence, while the other layer is playing back the brass sequence, so it's like the playback of two tracks.

Track 31 on the other hand is a simple generative patch in which the sequences of both layers run at slightly different tempo settings, 89 and 90 to be precise.

dsetto

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
Thank you for your explanations, and the examples. I have never used a simple sequencer on a keyboard before. While I had a sense it would be useful, I'd discounted it for the time being. I am clearly wrong. It seems like a scenario of achieving 80% results with 20% of the capacity. (I.e., a sequencer with 99% capacity could get 99% results. It's cool a 20% capacity sequencer can get to 80% results.)*

If both layers have sequences playing, can one also perform on each layer in addition the playback of the sequences? ... I have a suspicion it's a clear yes. ... Wow.

__
I'm not gonna lie. After your Prophet Rev2 demos, a Oberheim 2-Voice follows. And I hear a tonal difference. Which is fully expected, fully reasonable, and justifiable. ... I'm interested in the Rev2 based on its overall combination of features. With respect to proceeding with the Rev2, I've wondered why I don't give a good test to the OB-6, P6. But, my deep sense is, Rev2 tone is without a doubt, "good enough". Also, it will have its unique characteristics. But moreso, it's the overall feature set which clinches it for me. And, in an oblique sense, cost can be considered part of the feature set.

* DSI -
Rev2 meets Tempest sequencer? (96 ppqn sequence capture in an analog keys synthesizer. All that were pads would be keys.) Please don't. I don't want to buy anything else. Ever.