Tempest Ambient Mini Album

Tempest Ambient Mini Album
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:24:06 AM »
Hi everyone!
I thought I could share my drone trip into Tempest here. Only T as a soundsource plus a number of stompboxes. Some pieces were multitracked, some not.
Have a nice time!
https://soundcloud.com/kxx303/dont-let-go

Re: Tempest Ambient Mini Album
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »
is it possible you could allow downloads please?
then i can listen on my good speakers :)
cheers

RobH

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Wow what stomp boxes were used?

Some amazing drone sounds you have coming from the Tempest!!!

The lead at 11.32 is AMAZING! How was it made?

You should put some patches up xD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:50:57 AM by RobH »

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
is it possible you could allow downloads please?
then i can listen on my good speakers :)
cheers

Done! I hope you will not be disappointed by my mastering methods - only a pair of headphones is my monitors these days ;)

Wow what stomp boxes were used?

Some amazing drone sounds you have coming from the Tempest!!!

The lead at 11.32 is AMAZING! How was it made?

You should put some patches up xD

Wow! You've come that far! Great! Thanks a lot!  ;D
As I can remember all patches were very simple. No hard digging into LFO/envelopes/modmatrix etc (you can find my try to push T's sound architecture to limits here: https://soundcloud.com/kxx303/02-ippan?in=kxx303/sets/music-for-timelapses - I'd really like to share this beat file with the community).

As for this set - most sounds (and particularly lead at 11.32) is just a combo of double analog osc squares detuned a little bit plus a touch of sub osc and delicate filtering. I also used digital osc sine waves and mixing a right measure of resonant noise - these waves are never wrong for melodic parts.

Stompboxes are Moogerfoogers 101, 102 and 103. This combo is great for creating deep and complex, textured sounds. Also they have a "drive" knob so it is possible to have an overdriven sound (at 11.32 I used this knob up on all three MF's)).

Then Red Panda Particle. Among many spectacular modes it has a magical "freeze" function. It is great for complex layering. And i must mention Particle's harsh sound that i just love.

And finally the end of FX chain is Strymon trio Blue Sky - Timeline - ElCapistan. Just a right amount of each other in chain - and you can start your space adventure.

Peace!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »
Thanks heaps for the download!
This is lovely. I really dig it. add one follower

Checking out this Red Panda thing now...
I think you've sealed my decision to buy the Strymon effects too.
I wanted to buy the BlueSky and ElCapistan, but do you think it's worth to save the extra bones to get a Big Sky and Timeline instead? I'm not really cashed up, so I'll probably be struggling to afford even the 'smaller' pedals... but I'm sure they're all the type of effects that really add something irreplaceably special to a sound.

anyways, LOVE the music, gonna listen again ;)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »
Thanks heaps for the download!
This is lovely. I really dig it. add one follower

Checking out this Red Panda thing now...
I think you've sealed my decision to buy the Strymon effects too.
I wanted to buy the BlueSky and ElCapistan, but do you think it's worth to save the extra bones to get a Big Sky and Timeline instead? I'm not really cashed up, so I'll probably be struggling to afford even the 'smaller' pedals... but I'm sure they're all the type of effects that really add something irreplaceably special to a sound.

anyways, LOVE the music, gonna listen again ;)

Followed back! Lovely music you have! Listening to it whily typing an answer. :D

Need to mention, since then I swapped Blue Sky to Big. What can I say, Strymon's multifx are very good, considering Clouds machine of Big Sky and Lo Fi machine of Timeline for example. These two can change original sound a lot and add somethig, as you stated. Another important things that I was looking for were MIDI interface, presets and variativity - the reasons for saving "extra bones" in my case.
But when I engage ElCapistan magic begins and everything melts down and I can sit for an hour just listening for a simple sequence through this great pedal. It has even spring reverb and crazy disintegrating looper built in - check out it's "secondary functions" on Strymon page. And not so long ago (after several years of use!) I discovered that ElCap has infinite repeats function (hold on/off footswitch) and an option for turning trails on/off (will echo be cut or not after disengaging). Happiness.
Of course there are many other fantastic reverbs/delays on the market (that Moogerfooger discontinued monstrous delay for example or Death by Audio units) but I am happy with ElCap. I am biased of course, because it is my first hardware fx I ever bought and I'm still in love. I can imagine parting with Big Sky or Timeline but not the EC 8). You can start with just an ElCap for example. It is very deep and gorgeous sounding unit.

RobH

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
I too have been looking at those FX pedals.

I think im sold on the Big Sky the reverb is like, so good and i dont like plugins just because i dont like moving the mouse to dial sounds in i like things that are hands on, and more limited so you find the better sounds within that limitation rather than having endless options where you spend days just listening to options instead of working with one unit and getting the most from it.

I havent looked at the other strymon pedals but i will do, there are some other considerations i really really really want a sherman filterbank but im worried i might not get the sounds i want from it, sherman did a thing called a restyler which i loved the sound of and kind of hope the filterbank i can get the same results from it on bass sounds, although im not 100% whether i will or not without buying it.

My current list for FX in the affordable range is this (in no particular order)

Sansamp PSA 1
Sherman Filterbank 2
Big Sky

and i'm now going to look at the el capistan.

I have moogerfooger ringmod and freqbox (which freqbox recently broke). Unfortunetly i said yes to buying a Studio Electronics ATC-Xi for a good price, so i have that to pay for before i really manage to delve into FX, i have a sub37 and a MS20 mini so i'm kind of feeling the ATC might be just another mono too much, but, tbh, the leads that thing gives and the fact it has four filters kind of widens its appeal to me, that and its leads are like silkysex.

All the choices.

Your sounds defo push me towards the strymons first tho lol really nice!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:59:07 AM by RobH »

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
I too have been looking at those FX pedals.

I think im sold on the Big Sky the reverb is like, so good and i dont like plugins just because i dont like moving the mouse to dial sounds in i like things that are hands on, and more limited so you find the better sounds within that limitation rather than having endless options where you spend days just listening to options instead of working with one unit and getting the most from it.

I havent looked at the other strymon pedals but i will do, there are some other considerations i really really really want a sherman filterbank but im worried i might not get the sounds i want from it, sherman did a thing called a restyler which i loved the sound of and kind of hope the filterbank i can get the same results from it on bass sounds, although im not 100% whether i will or not without buying it.

My current list for FX in the affordable range is this (in no particular order)

Sansamp PSA 1
Sherman Filterbank 2
Big Sky

and i'm now going to look at the el capistan.

I have moogerfooger ringmod and freqbox (which freqbox recently broke). Unfortunetly i said yes to buying a Studio Electronics ATC-Xi for a good price, so i have that to pay for before i really manage to delve into FX, i have a sub37 and a MS20 mini so i'm kind of feeling the ATC might be just another mono too much, but, tbh, the leads that thing gives and the fact it has four filters kind of widens its appeal to me, that and its leads are like silkysex.

All the choices.

Your sounds defo push me towards the strymons first tho lol really nice!

I have the desktop FB2 also. Love to use it with drums and percussion - I take mono jack from Tempest's headphones output and throw the whole beat into Sherman. FB2 adds some juicy frequencies and T's sound that is kinda sterile and hollow starts to shine. As for me Restyler is more live oriented straight forward dj-style box while FB2 is much more versatile and crazy, child of a mad scientist.

To be honest, my Sherman needs a maintenance too - bought it second hand and its serial number tells that it is from 2008-2009 so its cirquits starts to decay I guess. I didn't use it for several months - some bad static noise is bleeding through filters turning this unit into noise machine  ;D. Need to solve it.

I used to have other gear too, for example, Octatrack and Moog Voyager, but then I just got an enlightment and sold everythig except Tempest and ElCapistan. Never regretted this decision. Now I have a little but useful fx collection to complement the sound of Tempest and my mind is free from distracting "which box will start my new sketch" thoughts. My decision had that exact reason you pointed - limitation of gear you have (horisontal axis - surface) increases creativity (vertical axis - how high or deep you can go). The only question is to put your start point on horisontal axis at a right place, like an anchor. For me it is a Tempest itself.

It is an interesting journey after all indeed.

Peace.

RobH

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
Well, i don't know about just having a Tempest as a source, maybe a little limiting, but I guess if you can get all the sounds you desire from it, i have a sub37 that i love, the only struggle im having is using it in my tunes, it just doesn't sound right for the tracks im making, i bought a MS20 mini and it instantly fits, but i keep going back to the sub37 and trying to make it fit, then it doesnt and i play a few hits on a microkorg and boom my tune progresses, so i dont know what im going to do in regard to actual synths, i think first is to get some FX and see what i can craft.

Wow you also have FB2, nice going man you have some nice kit!!!! I actually have a machinedrum that i've had since 07 and i cannot make it sound good to save my life, i hardly use it, maybe I might sell it like i did my analog keys, i dont really dig elektrons "sound", the feature full boxes are nice but the actual tone of the ones i've had at least leaves a lot tobe desired, i once described the Akeys as "cold" and thats not what u want for analog gear u know.

'As you do have a FB2 may i ask if you can drive bass sounds with it like you can the restyler, all the samples on youtube are just stupid crunching and i want something with a little more finesse im just guessing its within its capability.

Maybe you could put some Tempest loops put through it up dry/wet so i can hear of you have time for it? It would be a massive favour tbh but dont worry ur too busy i know im cheeky!

edit - also what do you think about the FB2 used with synth bass have you tried that and if u have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:57:39 PM by RobH »

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
Well, i don't know about just having a Tempest as a source, maybe a little limiting, but I guess if you can get all the sounds you desire from it, i have a sub37 that i love, the only struggle im having is using it in my tunes, it just doesn't sound right for the tracks im making, i bought a MS20 mini and it instantly fits, but i keep going back to the sub37 and trying to make it fit, then it doesnt and i play a few hits on a microkorg and boom my tune progresses, so i dont know what im going to do in regard to actual synths, i think first is to get some FX and see what i can craft.

Wow you also have FB2, nice going man you have some nice kit!!!! I actually have a machinedrum that i've had since 07 and i cannot make it sound good to save my life, i hardly use it, maybe I might sell it like i did my analog keys, i dont really dig elektrons "sound", the feature full boxes are nice but the actual tone of the ones i've had at least leaves a lot tobe desired, i once described the Akeys as "cold" and thats not what u want for analog gear u know.

'As you do have a FB2 may i ask if you can drive bass sounds with it like you can the restyler, all the samples on youtube are just stupid crunching and i want something with a little more finesse im just guessing its within its capability.

Maybe you could put some Tempest loops put through it up dry/wet so i can hear of you have time for it? It would be a massive favour tbh but dont worry ur too busy i know im cheeky!

I am on vacation now, far from my setup. And even if I could record some takes - there is a huge doubt my FB will work properly - since the issue with static noise appeared I didnt use it at all. You know, instead of simple filtering it adds some decent amout of garbage noise now. I just don't know how to fix it. And since I am based in Eastern Europe I am scared a bit by sending my precious by post service.

Of course when I will be back I'll try to do best and record some loops and PM you or put this material here.

For now I can only share a track of mine where I put FB2 literally on everything including bass, I hope this example will help a little to get its sound coloration idea. Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/kxx303/great-day

I can recommend you to watch/listen Bjork's Cambridge live concert. Jokes apart Mark Bell of LFO was playing an electronic part of that gig using only MPC and FB2. I could be wrong if he had more gear but FB2 was there definitely. I must accept that performance sold FB2 to me  :D

As for gear you mentioned - I realised that Moog synths (in my case it was Voyager) are awesome to use in a band situation. I mean in jazz/fusion/funk/instrumental hiphop and so on. It has that sound and feel, like a natural acoustic instrument. And since I am more sound nerd than a key player - my Moog found a new owner. As for Machinedrum - if you don't like Elektron's way then don't keep MD, free it. I sold Octatrack because I woke up one day with a strong feeling that I will never be sampling again, that's enough for me ;D

Cole

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »
What's your recipe for the vocal like pad at the beginning? Which wavetable did you use?

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
What's your recipe for the vocal like pad at the beginning? Which wavetable did you use?

IIRC it was a dual square with both OSCs detuned a little relatively to each other. Plus very slow ADSR and 2 db filter modded by an amp envelope a little.

Speaking consonant timbre wise - this character is very simple to achieve with basic waveform (i believe I used analog OSCs there) into Moogerfoogers 101 -> 102. While sensitive envelope of 101 follows the nuances of sound source, 102 gives to it two additional obertones. Certain settings can give even a talkbox-like sound, here is the Youtube example . The trick is in sweeping resonance frequency that fires the obertonal response of 102.

After all the sound was layered by two delays and one reverb, so sound content was multiplied a lot to take it to the pad category.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:20:59 PM by kxx303 »

Cole

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Thanks for that info. Your tune is just beautiful. Great work.

RobH

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the link of the FB2 track, yeah i really like the tones throughout the track, kinda difficult not knowing the original source to determine how much infulence its actually having but thanks anyhow.

Enjoy your vacation man, I might get in touch with Juno and see how much time i have to return a FB2 if i buy one on a try and test basis as they are Mailorder  company.

I don't like goin to my local audio shops because 99% of the time things are cheaper not from the shop and I think they might be kinda getting sick of me walking in and testing loads of things then never buying anything from them lol!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
I usually use Cytomic The Drop on all my basses, the MS20 rev 2 filter. Is that the same type of LP as the Filterbank? I was trying to find a Frostwave Resonator for a while, but gave up, like hens teeth now :( I'll build myself a rev2 filter as soon as i can find a complete kit somewhere. I want to have a permanent MS20 rev2 filter between the Tempest bass channel and the mixing desk... but still don't even have a decent mixer :P just running 3 stereos into the Fireface 400 and mixing everything in Ableton Live. 24/96 is what i'm aiming for, with 128 sample latency... I guess with ambient stuff you wouldn't need to worry about latency?... 96kHz is something I'm dying to use live though. Using a software reverb and delay send, i'm sure the higher sample rate will yield smoother tails etc...

:)