MIDI in from DAW

MIDI in from DAW
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:07:01 AM »
Hi!

I didn't find this by search, so:

Is it possible to trigger multiple Tempest pads via MIDI from DAW? I would like Tempest to play the beat that I've drawn into Logic but I'm only getting one specific pad's sound triggered in different pitches. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

Re: MIDI in from DAW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 03:58:04 AM »
You can define 2 different channels on the Tempest to do different things.

1. Polyphonic MIDI Keyboard Play
 This is used to play ONE sound polyphonically over MIDI. You select the MIDI channel (MIDI: Synth IN Channel) to listen to it and then select what sound (MIDI: Synth Sound) will be triggered.

2. MIDI Remote Pad Play
 This is used to play the pads. First select the channel (MIDI: IN Channel). Then you can define if you want to control the pads, 4 different options:
  a. Follow Pad Func: Incoming MIDI notes will control whatever is selected by the Pad Function buttons, exactly like the pads.
  b. Sounds: Incoming MIDI Notes will always trigger sounds.
  c. Beats: Incoming MIDI Notes will always select one of the 16 beats.
  d. Mutes: Incoming MIDI Notes will always be used to mute/unmute the 32 sounds [16 each in banks A and B].
You can also define which notes trigger which pads (“MIDI Note:Pad A1” through “MIDI Note: Pad B16”).

I think you are confusing the two. You are using "Polyphonic MIDI Keyboard Play" but expecting the result of "MIDI Remote Pad Play".

Hope this helps ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Well, thank you joosep :) I was indeed confusing those two..

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
One more thing: Is there a way to use the MIDI the other way around (writing Tempests' MIDI notes to Logic)? When I use the MIDI out from Tempest I get the midi notes to the DAW when physically playing the pads but when I try to record a pre-recorded beat from the sequencer nothing shows up.  ???

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »
One more thing: Is there a way to use the MIDI the other way around (writing Tempests' MIDI notes to Logic)? When I use the MIDI out from Tempest I get the midi notes to the DAW when physically playing the pads but when I try to record a pre-recorded beat from the sequencer nothing shows up.  ???

You are correct. Already sequenced notes cannot be transfered.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:28:19 AM »

You are correct. Already sequenced notes cannot be transfered.

Ok, thanks.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:14:06 AM »
i thought it was possible to sequence one external device via the Tempest?
or am i missing the point here?

RobH

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »

I also thought you could sequence one external device?

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
Yes you can sequence one external channel..

I also thought you could sequence one external device?

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
but a Beat doesn't send MIDI to your DAW? only one of those drum pads in a beat would send MIDI info?

I haven't used the Tempest in this way yet, I'm a few weeks away from incorporating the Tempest into my live set, so I'm sure I'm gonna find a few other hair pullers on the way.

I really am appalled at the lack of MIDI implementation in the Tempest. Out of ALL the omissions, i think this is the douchiest by far. Again - Godfather of MIDI. Really?

idm

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
AGAIN, you should've read into this stuff BEFORE buying a 2k drumsynth. My 2 cents... If you are pulling hairs, you've got only one person to blame, because every tiny bit of info, even the most obscure bugs, have been available on the net for this instrument for years. (it's why I didn't buy it until this year.)

You buy an instrument because it does what you need it to do. Buying something because it seems cool and diving deep into its functions after the fact, is at your own risk.

Yes it's a bummer, and yeah, out of all people you'd expect.... , but it's not like that, so there's that...

Having said that, I've incorporated the Tempest into my Liveset and it works perfectly. Sometimes you need to find workarounds when the perfect situation isn't possible.

- Sequenced sounds/pads don't send midi.
- externally triggering of pads possible over 1 channel
- 1 pad on 1 channel can receive poly midi notes
- 1 pad on 1 different channel can send poly notes manually played on the T.

Go through system menu, read manual. All will be clear :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:23:36 AM by idm »

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
you can keep the 2 cents, and the attitude, the Tempest was a gift.
thank you for the info

idm

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
you can keep the 2 cents, and the attitude, the Tempest was a gift.
thank you for the info

Maybe in text it seems like an attitude. Not meant that way though :). It's just how I work with instruments. Comments like being appalled, and "out of ALL the omissions", while the Tempest has a unique set of features and possibilities, are just surprising to me. The midi comments on the Tempest are getting a bit old too with the "Godfather of midi" and all. Heard it all on every forum, so I cannot help but respond to that.

And it was a gift... Really wow :p. Best gift ever.

Anyway, you'll enjoy the T as a live instrument. It had great live control and can be programmed really deep to do awesome stuff live. Have fun dude.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:25:29 AM by idm »

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »
understood

i love the T. and i guess with a beast like this - the more it can do, the more everyone wants it to do. but really, MIDI implementation... if the midi comments are getting old, try googling "Dave Smith" without reading the phrase "godfather of MIDI" over and over, then you might see how it's a bit of a soft spot for some people.
anyways, i'm about to pick up a Novation Circuit to add to the live set, gonna control it with a MIDI mixing desk i built myself... it has excellent MIDI implementation from what i can see... hopefully the Tempest clock is solid and I can get away from the computer for a while... YAY!! :)

dsetto

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
Perhaps certain MIDI implementation would be a detriment to T fundamental functions we rely on. Perhaps the makers know this.

Detriment could be different things:
- timing
- user interface
- DSP resources
- user confusion
- stalls
- OS complexity
- development, support, bug resolution time. Money.

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:38 AM »
i can understand functional limitations such as these possible reasons for MIDI not being included. but I would assume the creators would perhaps communicate stuff like this, at LEAST in their own FORUM.
Maybe i'm spoiled with software developers such as Andy from Cytomic, while being extreme geeks in many respects, they will often take the time to explain things like this to their customer base.
Dave, well, i can't comment can I? Lest I meet the swift proxy hand of the Godfather via a loyal 'moderator', and open a can of shit worms.

dsetto

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
Andy/Cytomic:Dave/DSI. Not apples to apples. (I.e., different scenarios.)

I think the best answers lie in the work itself.

From following these forums, it's my understanding there was a lot of two-way communication in the development of this machine. ... leading to tangible and welcomed results. * That alone- to me- seems unique, special.

*We all know the other side of this coin.

--
Avoiding vitriol is a healthy way of maintaining focus on the thing. The real thing.