Best way to get a piano type patch on the Prophet 6

LoboLives

Best way to get a piano type patch on the Prophet 6
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:56:31 AM »
I'm really trying to figure out the best way to get an acoustic piano sounding patch on the Prophet 6. I've got some electric piano type sounds but I'm really trying to recreate the main riff in the main theme from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8keNgWwAtk

The synths used on this were Prophet 5 and ARP Quadra. So I'm sure there is a way to get a piano type patch for the Prophet 6. Any suggestions?

Re: Best way to get a piano type patch on the Prophet 6
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »
I'm really trying to figure out the best way to get an acoustic piano sounding patch on the Prophet 6. I've got some electric piano type sounds but I'm really trying to recreate the main riff in the main theme from this.

The synths used on this were Prophet 5 and ARP Quadra. So I'm sure there is a way to get a piano type patch for the Prophet 6. Any suggestions?

The second oscillator's pitch should be two half steps short of two octaves up (i.e., a Bb3 relative to a C2 root).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

lt773

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure in the main opening, that is actually piano layered in with the synths, not just synths alone

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:25:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure in the main opening, that is actually piano layered in with the synths, not just synths alone

That's what I assumed as well but Howarth said he didn't believe a real piano was used and looking at photos of Pi West studio during the session there isn't one spotted so I don't think it is.

"Visible at the extreme left is the unusual Stephens 24-track two-inch machine, chosen partly because it was more portable than other alternatives at the time! The secondary Tascam 80-8 machine is in the rack just to the right of the TV monitor, with the Linn LM1 drum machine above. The synth rack to the right contains, from top, two ARP Avatars; an ARP Sequencer and Sequential Model 700 programmer; an ARP Quadra; and a Sequential Prophet 5."
-Alan Howarth

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
There is layers going on for sure. I think the piano sounding patch is the Prophet and the more buzzy sawtooths are the Quadra. Probably some Eventide Harmonizer/Delay going on to (which was used in the recording)

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »

The second oscillator's pitch should be two half steps short of two octaves up (i.e., a Bb3 relative to a C2 root).

I may be wrong but would two octaves up from C2 be C4?

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »

Right-B3 is the next pitch below C4, if you label your pitches as follows:

C2 .......G2 G#2 A2 B2 C3

Others label their octaves as

C2 ......G2 G#2 A3 B3 C3

which doesn't really tell you which octave you're in.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:48:45 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »

Right-B3 is the next pitch below C4, if you label your pitches as follows:

C2 .......G2 G#2 A2 B2 C3

Others label their octaves as

C2 ......G2 G#2 A3 B3 C3

which doesn't really tell you which octave you're in.

Ahhh yes. Now I got it, thanks.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 03:59:48 AM »
On the Alesis Andromeda it has a pretty convincing piano patch. Any idea of the shape? I'm guessing triangle and square blended.

Listen from 18:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49i5zIYSnms

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »
I found that when Sync is engaged it actually works a bit better. I tried DavidDever's suggestion about the tuning but I found it doesn't sound that great during lower notes unless sync is on.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »
Factory patch 279 with a bit of reverb works great in my opinion.  I compared it to the Acoustic piano on Korg triton and they both sounded similar.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
Factory patch 279 with a bit of reverb works great in my opinion.  I compared it to the Acoustic piano on Korg triton and they both sounded similar.

I think it works well on the higher notes but it's the low notes that I'm having trouble with.