Generating a 'Constant' value in the Mod Matrix

Generating a 'Constant' value in the Mod Matrix
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
Not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but is there a way to just generate a Constant offset value in the Mod Matrix for the Source?  My scenario is I have a self-resonating filter kick set to do Filter Tracking so it plays chromatically, however when I set this up the LPF Frequency no longer goes low enough for me to generate a kick sounding tone in 16-Sounds mode without going into 16-Tunings mode.  If there was a 'Constant' source option (similar to what the Moog Sub 37 has) it would enable me to further lower the LPF via the Mod Matrix, but I'm wondering if someone has discovered an alternative way to do this on the Tempest.

In certain situations, I can generate a constant value by using an Aux Envelope with the Peak set at 127 and the Decay at 127 (in AD mode), however for really long kick tones this isn't long enough to last at a steady value for the whole duration of the sound.

Re: Generating a 'Constant' value in the Mod Matrix
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »
Not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but is there a way to just generate a Constant offset value in the Mod Matrix for the Source?

I guess you could use velocity and play with 'fixed level' on - that's the only way I can think of atm.

I've often wished you could change the 'root note' generated when one of the pads is hit in '16 sounds' mode. This would probably allow you achieve what you want to do as well but, unfortunately I don't think you can - it's stuck at C3 or whatever it is.  :(
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but is there a way to just generate a Constant offset value in the Mod Matrix for the Source?

I guess you could use velocity and play with 'fixed level' on - that's the only way I can think of atm.

I've often wished you could change the 'root note' generated when one of the pads is hit in '16 sounds' mode. This would probably allow you achieve what you want to do as well but, unfortunately I don't think you can - it's stuck at C3 or whatever it is.  :(

Yeah, I agree that would've been a nice extra feature.  Maybe if they ever make a Tempest 2 it'll be in there :)

Using a really slow square LFO set to Note Restart theoretically could work, but since I can't adjust the starting phase of the square it starts in the portion of the waveform that just does nothing :P  A really slow saw LFO almost works, although there is a slight bending up of the pitch.

idm

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
How about using a note fx slider set to +, and a negative amount to lpf? Don't have my Tempest here to test it.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
Yeah you can further offset the sound that way using the latch on, although it's not quite the same as having it load up in that state, and it doesn't get saved with the sound unfortunately so you'd have to re-program it each time.

One thing I noticed you can do is you can use the Note Number in the mod matrix as a constant offset... but it's not good for instruments you want to play chromatically in 16-Tunings mode (bass, leads, tuned kicks).  However if you just want to pitch a kick or snare up/down and have that be the default when you play it in 16-sounds mode, it'll work.