Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid

Re: Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 02:13:57 AM »
I was just reading up on the Quantum's sampling capabilities. Apparently it is not for "Bread and Butter" samples such as Pianos, Saxophones, Choirs etc...those apparently don't work well, instead it's meant for "synth" type samples.

Also there are no on board samples pre loading from the factory from what I've read.
I seem to recall hearing in one of the product demo videos that this was not meant to be a ROMpler, but rather the synthesis engine is their more as a mechanism for getting material into the synth for the granular engine.

It does seem odd though to have sampling capability without any preset samples.

Kind of defeats the purpose of sampling if you can only sample specific sounds. For the price point that’s a bit ridiculous. Even the Solaris allows you to load in pianos, saxophones and other samples.

You can sample and resample whatever you like with the Quantum. It just doesn't come with a typical sample library, that's all.

On their website...
“It’s worth noting that the sample use in the Quantum is always within a synthesizer's sonic context, and it is not meant to work as a “bread and butter” sample keyboard to play back like traditional sampling instruments nor third party libraries.”

I know. It's not meant to be a typical sample playback device for already existing sample collections (like KONTAKT for example), albeit shipped units will definitely contain samples (mono and stereo single and multi samples in WAV/AIFF format). Nevertheless, whatever recordings/samples you already have in those formats, can be imported into the Quantum via SD card. And you can sample whatever you like into it (via mic, phone, or whatever source) and edit, process, and manipulate it without any external tools, or resample sounds you did with the synth engines, or synthesize sample content as a new wavetable. So the whole idea is to be able to switch seemlessly between the different engines. So, for example, you can sample something with a mic, a phone, or a connected mixer and then process or use that sample either in the Particle Generator or Resonator engine. You can then sample your finished sound again and then have it analyzed in order to be used as a wavetable. And so on.

LoboLives

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
Most people want retro sounds, yet at the same time they want all the modern benefits that help streamline the workflow. You mention touchscreens and menu diving a lot even though good screens make life much easier and even allow for deeper features. DSI makes phenomenal sounding instruments no doubt, but they're way behind in certain areas. Perhaps people want three OLED screens for some reason, though there's certainly better ways to utilize the main OLED screen. My favorite example is, why would you have a thousand preset slots available and no on-board categories? But hey, I know the P12 at least shows the envelop visually, which is a start.

I certainly understand why people want them but they are also the reason I'm not drawn to the Montage or Quantum. I can't stand touch screens...even though most of my computers have them I often just use a mouse. I just think it defeats the whole purpose of an analog instrument and I'd much rather have no menu at all. That's just me though.

I guess DSI's philisophy is (rightly so in my opinion) is to get away from the computer and let your ears be your guide. If you want deeper editing you can use a software editor for said instrument.

LoboLives

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I was just reading up on the Quantum's sampling capabilities. Apparently it is not for "Bread and Butter" samples such as Pianos, Saxophones, Choirs etc...those apparently don't work well, instead it's meant for "synth" type samples.

Also there are no on board samples pre loading from the factory from what I've read.
I seem to recall hearing in one of the product demo videos that this was not meant to be a ROMpler, but rather the synthesis engine is their more as a mechanism for getting material into the synth for the granular engine.

It does seem odd though to have sampling capability without any preset samples.

Kind of defeats the purpose of sampling if you can only sample specific sounds. For the price point that’s a bit ridiculous. Even the Solaris allows you to load in pianos, saxophones and other samples.

You can sample and resample whatever you like with the Quantum. It just doesn't come with a typical sample library, that's all.

On their website...
“It’s worth noting that the sample use in the Quantum is always within a synthesizer's sonic context, and it is not meant to work as a “bread and butter” sample keyboard to play back like traditional sampling instruments nor third party libraries.”

I know. It's not meant to be a typical sample playback device for already existing sample collections (like KONTAKT for example), albeit shipped units will definitely contain samples (mono and stereo single and multi samples in WAV/AIFF format). Nevertheless, whatever recordings/samples you already have in those formats, can be imported into the Quantum via SD card. And you can sample whatever you like into it (via mic, phone, or whatever source) and edit, process, and manipulate it without any external tools, or resample sounds you did with the synth engines, or synthesize sample content as a new wavetable. So the whole idea is to be able to switch seemlessly between the different engines. So, for example, you can sample something with a mic, a phone, or a connected mixer and then process or use that sample either in the Particle Generator or Resonator engine. You can then sample your finished sound again and then have it analyzed in order to be used as a wavetable. And so on.

I figured just adding the onboard samples from the Blofeld Keyboard would have been a no brainer. Even just to showcase what you can do with said samples.

Shaw

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
I figured just adding the onboard samples from the Blofeld Keyboard would have been a no brainer. Even just to showcase what you can do with said samples.
Perhaps the samples are in a different format and they just didn't want to F with it?!?!? 
Makes sense that the samples might be in a different format if you're doing a different kind of synthesis (granular as opposed to just sample play back)...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
I just think it defeats the whole purpose of an analog instrument and I'd much rather have no menu at all.

Well if said technology is not utilized to its potential, then you might as well just use LED displays and panel switches.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »
I don't understand how displays don't belong on analogue gear, but this is getting off topic.

Sampling synths that are worked around some massive pre-existing library, well they aren't really the sort of synth that Waldorf make for a start.  For some reason Waldorf seem to be the only ones who have stayed with the idea that samples don't have to be used for creating authentic replications of some other instrument.  Romplers exist already and E-Mu were doing amazing orchestras before Gigasampler was born and I seem to remember hearing an amazing piano on someone's new synth just recently, quite nearby to here in fact, I think even in the same building......

LoboLives

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
I just think it defeats the whole purpose of an analog instrument and I'd much rather have no menu at all.

Well if said technology is not utilized to its potential, then you might as well just use LED displays and panel switches.

Which I’d be fine with. It’s one of thr things I love about the P6 and OB6.

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »
I finally got mine. I'm definitely in a honeymoon stage, and it's killed my GAS for right now. Overall I don't find the interface as intuitive as the P12, but the range of sounds is...wow. Gain staging is definitely important to watch, though.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

jok3r

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
I tried this thing today for the first time. And man... it‘s a monster. It‘s too much for me. I was sitting in front of this beast and didn‘t know what to do. Well, yeah, I did some basic analog sounds and I think it did that very well. But that‘s maximum 1000/4000€ they want to have for the Quantum. I‘m not a synthesist enough to handle the rest of this machine.

What I instantly liked is the display. It shows everything you want to see with no noticeable lag and the touch response is working fine. I don‘t really need a touchscreen in a synth, but the information and visualizations of the things you do, are really nice. The Fatar keybed feels great... as in every other synth with this keybed.

I can understand now, why some of the more experienced synthesists in this forum want to have this thing. I just did a look through the key hole today and it was fascinating and frightening at once.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

OceanMachine

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
Just got mine in. The vids I've seen of it online left me cold and had me wondering why they even bothered with analog filters, but whatever they did, it's immediately apparent once hearing it in person that it was all well worth it. Got to say, coolest hybrid (and digital in general) synth since the PPG Wave. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a single synth, but so long as you have at least one nice VCO poly, this would be the only other synth you would need for the foreseeable future, as the possibilities are endless. Also, not for anyone who simply wants immediate results. You could get lost in it for hours making a patch that's not exactly what one would call musically practical. Definitely a synth for synth nerds.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2019, 08:22:40 PM »
Just got mine in. The vids I've seen of it online left me cold and had me wondering why they even bothered with analog filters, but whatever they did, it's immediately apparent once hearing it in person that it was all well worth it. Got to say, coolest hybrid (and digital in general) synth since the PPG Wave. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a single synth, but so long as you have at least one nice VCO poly, this would be the only other synth you would need for the foreseeable future, as the possibilities are endless. Also, not for anyone who simply wants immediate results. You could get lost in it for hours making a patch that's not exactly what one would call musically practical. Definitely a synth for synth nerds.

Hate you!  "Look at you! You've gone too far! You're a hideous blob of stolen organs!" ;)
I was in the store the other week and mentioned to the sales guy "do I buy a Quantum or do I buy a 2nd hand car?"  He laughed, but surprisingly didn't mention the One.  I think I'd buy the Quantum considering it'll outlast any 2nd hand car at the same price point (and way more fun!)