Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid

LoboLives

Re: Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2018, 07:32:09 AM »
I really hope we see some better demos online....I'm slowly warming up to it....especially would like to see some examples of it's sampling abilities.

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
The manual is online at least: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/downloads-quantum

LoboLives

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »
I reminds me a bit of the Synclaiver in certain parts. Hope Waldorf provided some of the PCM samples in the Waldorf even just for a reference or example of the sampling sounds.

Insanely expensive though...almost $6k here.

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
It says "Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode."  Does this mean you can get 8 voices of unison per oscillator without affecting polyphony?  So you could get 24 voices per note up to 8 notes?

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
It says "Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode."  Does this mean you can get 8 voices of unison per oscillator without affecting polyphony?  So you could get 24 voices per note up to 8 notes?

That's how I read it, yes.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »
New video from MESSE 2018: https://youtu.be/A7hlzwK_hD0

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Both videos from sonicstate, Exodus Digital Valkyrie and the Quantum, are lacking in the low range. One machine, maybe, but both?

LoboLives

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
I was just reading up on the Quantum's sampling capabilities. Apparently it is not for "Bread and Butter" samples such as Pianos, Saxophones, Choirs etc...those apparently don't work well, instead it's meant for "synth" type samples.

Also there are no on board samples pre loading from the factory from what I've read.

Shaw

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »
I was just reading up on the Quantum's sampling capabilities. Apparently it is not for "Bread and Butter" samples such as Pianos, Saxophones, Choirs etc...those apparently don't work well, instead it's meant for "synth" type samples.

Also there are no on board samples pre loading from the factory from what I've read.
I seem to recall hearing in one of the product demo videos that this was not meant to be a ROMpler, but rather the synthesis engine is their more as a mechanism for getting material into the synth for the granular engine.

It does seem odd though to have sampling capability without any preset samples. 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »

I seem to recall hearing in one of the product demo videos that this was not meant to be a ROMpler, but rather the synthesis engine is their more as a mechanism for getting material into the synth for the granular engine.

Kind of defeats the purpose of sampling if you can only sample specific sounds. For the price point that’s a bit ridiculous. Even the Solaris allows you to load in pianos, saxophones and other samples.

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 03:29:23 PM »

Kind of defeats the purpose of sampling if you can only sample specific sounds. For the price point that’s a bit ridiculous. Even the Solaris allows you to load in pianos, saxophones and other samples.

You can sample and resample whatever you like with the Quantum. It just doesn't come with a typical sample library, that's all.

LoboLives

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »

You can sample and resample whatever you like with the Quantum. It just doesn't come with a typical sample library, that's all.

On their website...
“It’s worth noting that the sample use in the Quantum is always within a synthesizer's sonic context, and it is not meant to work as a “bread and butter” sample keyboard to play back like traditional sampling instruments nor third party libraries.”

ddp

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
So, think of it as lossy.  The Quantum looks cool.  I love the display.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2018, 07:42:06 PM »
So, think of it as lossy.  The Quantum looks cool.  I love the display.

You know...the display looks nice and all but I was watching the Anderson’s videos on this and there’s a lot of menu diving, modes, pages when programming and even in the demonstration there were moments were he was like “wait...how do I go back to that page?”

As I’ve said the Quantum is incredibly powerful and has lots of capabilities but almost to the detriment to the ease of programming.

ddp

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
I just love waveform displays.  The new Korg Prologue has one too.  Every synth should have one, it's 2018.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
I just love waveform displays.  The new Korg Prologue has one too.  Every synth should have one, it's 2018.

I think reason why the Prologue And Quantum have it is because they both have digital waveforms. It would get a bit redundant on an analog synth. The Minilogue having one is more for educational purposes.

ddp

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
I see nothing better to display on an OLED than the waveform coming out of the synth.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
It definitely would help to have that displayed on an analog synth for more than educational reasons. Much more important than the oscilloscope for the waveform, would be the ability to see instant visualization of where the filter is currently set at for example. It makes no sense to have an OLED display and not have these features.

LoboLives

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
I guess it’s all personally preferences. For me, I don’t like having any type of menu or OLED display on an analog synth. I’d much rather just have the patch numbers like the P6 and OB6 than anything else.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2018, 12:03:00 AM »
Most people want retro sounds, yet at the same time they want all the modern benefits that help streamline the workflow. You mention touchscreens and menu diving a lot even though good screens make life much easier and even allow for deeper features. DSI makes phenomenal sounding instruments no doubt, but they're way behind in certain areas. Perhaps people want three OLED screens for some reason, though there's certainly better ways to utilize the main OLED screen. My favorite example is, why would you have a thousand preset slots available and no on-board categories? But hey, I know the P12 at least shows the envelop visually, which is a start.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:56:11 AM by Sleep of Reason »