Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid

Shaw

Re: MESSE'17: Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »
Anyone know if the enclosure is plastic or metal?

Metal.
Thanks, Paul.  I thought you had said that before, but I couldn’t find it.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »

Waldorf posted the specs for the Quantum....

Specifications
(subject to change without notice)
* Digital-Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer
* 61 Keys high-quality Fatar TP8 keybed
* 8 voices
* Dual timbral: split or layered mode with separate stereo audio outputs
* 3 stereo digital oscillators each capable of four synthesis algorithms
* Wavetable: Waldorf style with latest additions from Nave including speech synthesis, wavetable generation from audio and new features
* Waveform: Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode with hard-sync, warp & PWM as well as tunable noise
* Particle: Sampler in traditional and granular mode using multi-samples or live input
* Resonator: Exciter using multi-sampling plus filter bank sound model.
* Two analogue lowpass filters per voice each in 24 or 12 dB configuration using innovative link modes
* Digital former: Additional digital algorithms per voice like comb filter, high-pass, band-pass & notch filters (Nave, Largo or PPG models), bit-crusher, drive and more
* Flexible routing system for order of analog filters & digital former and individual oscillator routings
* 6 LFOs in poly and global mode with extensive parameter set
* 6 loopable envelopes
* Komplex: multistage LFO/envelope modulator
* Extensive modulation matrix with 40 slots and easy via-controller assignments
* Intuitive modulation assignment via panel elements and control LEDs
* Master effect rack of 5 slots for each timbre choosing from FX like phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, drive, eq and more.
* Compressor for main output
* Arpeggiator
* Step sequencer with step recording, parameter automation and scale-based pitch quantization
* Microtonal pitch configurations capable of importing Skala scl files
* Capable of polyphonic aftertouch via external MIDI inputs
* Chord and latch buttons
* Unisono mode
* Module-based preset system for effects, oscillators, step-sequenzer and Komplex modulator
* Single-function potentiometer and encoder controls for intuitive editing
* Visualisation and deeper sound editing via context-sensitive high-resolution capacitive multi-touch display
* Spectrum Analyzer and Oscilloscope at various processing stages
* Up to 10,000 sound patch capacity organized by banks, attributes, author and patch number.
* Favourites lists for quick recall of sound patches like for set-lists etc.
* Pre-loaded with wide variety of patches by acclaimed sound designers like Howard Scarr
* MIDI output of local keyboard, wheels and assignable panel elements
* Automation of sound parameters from MIDI inputs via MIDI CC learn function
* Recording of samples from audio inputs or self-recording of audio outputs
* 4 GB*) internal Flash memory for presets, samples and wavetables
* Pre-loaded with more then 1 GB sample data
* Export & import of presets, sample & wavetable via SD card
* Import of Nave presets

Connections:
* 2x stereo audio out for main and aux timbres
* Stereo audio input for sample recording and real-time processing
* High-Quality 24bit A/D and D/A converters
* Headphone out with separate level adjustment
* Sustain pedal input
* Control pedal connector also capable of CV input (0-5V sensitivity)
* USB host type A connector for interfacing MIDI controller
* USB device type B connector for interfacing computer or other class-compliant MIDI USB hosts like iOS devices **)
* SD Card for sample/preset exchange and software updates
* DIN MIDI In, Out & Thru
* Integrated power supply unit
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
* Module-based preset system for effects, oscillators, step-sequenzer and Komplex modulator

Funny... the above is a bit like what I wished for in my Gear Rant thread... a synth with presets for parts of the engine, so that you can create new presets very fast by mixing different module based presets... this synth is most likely going to find it's way into my new studio containing few, but very specialized synths... it seems to have so much stuff in it, that you cannot find in many other hardware synths. The 4GB flash for samples, wavetables and presets is perfect! no need to mess around with the SD card too much... I like that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:29:12 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
Hi Shaw, where did you find these specs please ?

Waldorf posted the specs for the Quantum....

Specifications
(subject to change without notice)
* Digital-Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer
* 61 Keys high-quality Fatar TP8 keybed
* 8 voices
* Dual timbral: split or layered mode with separate stereo audio outputs
* 3 stereo digital oscillators each capable of four synthesis algorithms
* Wavetable: Waldorf style with latest additions from Nave including speech synthesis, wavetable generation from audio and new features
* Waveform: Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode with hard-sync, warp & PWM as well as tunable noise
* Particle: Sampler in traditional and granular mode using multi-samples or live input
* Resonator: Exciter using multi-sampling plus filter bank sound model.
* Two analogue lowpass filters per voice each in 24 or 12 dB configuration using innovative link modes
* Digital former: Additional digital algorithms per voice like comb filter, high-pass, band-pass & notch filters (Nave, Largo or PPG models), bit-crusher, drive and more
* Flexible routing system for order of analog filters & digital former and individual oscillator routings
* 6 LFOs in poly and global mode with extensive parameter set
* 6 loopable envelopes
* Komplex: multistage LFO/envelope modulator
* Extensive modulation matrix with 40 slots and easy via-controller assignments
* Intuitive modulation assignment via panel elements and control LEDs
* Master effect rack of 5 slots for each timbre choosing from FX like phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, drive, eq and more.
* Compressor for main output
* Arpeggiator
* Step sequencer with step recording, parameter automation and scale-based pitch quantization
* Microtonal pitch configurations capable of importing Skala scl files
* Capable of polyphonic aftertouch via external MIDI inputs
* Chord and latch buttons
* Unisono mode
* Single-function potentiometer and encoder controls for intuitive editing
* Visualisation and deeper sound editing via context-sensitive high-resolution capacitive multi-touch display
* Spectrum Analyzer and Oscilloscope at various processing stages
* Up to 10,000 sound patch capacity organized by banks, attributes, author and patch number.
* Favourites lists for quick recall of sound patches like for set-lists etc.
* Pre-loaded with wide variety of patches by acclaimed sound designers like Howard Scarr
* MIDI output of local keyboard, wheels and assignable panel elements
* Automation of sound parameters from MIDI inputs via MIDI CC learn function
* Recording of samples from audio inputs or self-recording of audio outputs
* 4 GB*) internal Flash memory for presets, samples and wavetables
* Pre-loaded with more then 1 GB sample data
* Export & import of presets, sample & wavetable via SD card
* Import of Nave presets

Connections:
* 2x stereo audio out for main and aux timbres
* Stereo audio input for sample recording and real-time processing
* High-Quality 24bit A/D and D/A converters
* Headphone out with separate level adjustment
* Sustain pedal input
* Control pedal connector also capable of CV input (0-5V sensitivity)
* USB host type A connector for interfacing MIDI controller
* USB device type B connector for interfacing computer or other class-compliant MIDI USB hosts like iOS devices **)
* SD Card for sample/preset exchange and software updates
* DIN MIDI In, Out & Thru
* Integrated power supply unit

Shaw

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »
I'm not too fussed over the physical dimensions, but there are some who will rather upset that they are still not available.  I figure whatever the size, I'll need a third tier for my keyboard stand...

... it seems to have so much stuff in it, that you cannot find in many other hardware synths....

Or need to buy a bunch of small modules from boutique makers that may or may not work as advertised.  It's wonderful that Waldorf are making a synth that harks back to their efforts in the 90's, but I'm also scared of that considering the state of the Q firmware.....wait and game see I guess.

LoboLives

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
Any FM capabilities?

Also $3-4K synth...and it’s not multitimbral in 2018?

Shaw

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
Any FM capabilities?

Apparently no FM (or cookies if you read the gearslutz discussion)... and yes, I’d rather see multitimbrality, but that probably won’t  stop me from getting one.

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 07:40:04 AM »
It's wonderful that Waldorf are making a synth that harks back to their efforts in the 90's, but I'm also scared of that considering the state of the Q firmware.....wait and game see I guess.

Yep - a solid, largely bug-free (i.e., well-tested) core would be a perfectly fine place to start, features aside.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Shaw

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
Yep - a solid, largely bug-free (i.e., well-tested) core would be a perfectly fine place to start, features aside.
Indeed, but with that feature set, I'm not expecting it to be bug free anytime soon...

LoboLives

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
Any FM capabilities?

Apparently no FM (or cookies if you read the gearslutz discussion)... and yes, I’d rather see multitimbrality, but that probably won’t  stop me from getting one.

Oh yeah I'm not saying the synth is bad it's just a bit bewildering that a digital synth this expensive doesn't have FM. It sort of feels like an oversight. Especially given the FM and multitimbrality of their own much cheaper Blofeld.

Shaw

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
Any FM capabilities?

Oh yeah I'm not saying the synth is bad it's just a bit bewildering that a digital synth this expensive doesn't have FM. It sort of feels like an oversight. Especially given the FM and multitimbrality of their own much cheaper Blofeld.
Perhaps they want people to continue to have a reason to buy the Blofeld... or with LFOs that get into Audio rates, maybe there are some FM tones to be had from the Quantum anyway.

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 05:45:02 AM »
Waldorf's official product page is online now: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Extensive NAMM video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql1z8TnVEZ4
That’s the best Quantum vidéo so far....

They've come a long way since last Superbooth, where I had a chance to check it out. Seems like it has truly been a coding tour de force for the past few months. Quite an impressive bunch of features and options.

Shaw

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
I was really impressed with the feature list and depth of programming. I’d love to see some more voices (at least 12 since it’s bi-timbral), but that won’t stop me from being interested.
What I can’t wait for is more sound samples.

Re: Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:01 AM »
As this is no longer exclusively related to Messe '17, I modified the thread title.

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
Very excited for this synth! Have had it on Preorder for months now. Some people complain that it isnt an FM synth but that doesnt stop it from being able to achieve formant synthesis. The artist BT has explained this while showing a demo of the synth as he was making patch presets for the release of the unit.

All in all this synth is really bringing a lot to the table. I cant wait to sync it up with other gear in my studio and do some sound design with it.