Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: MESSE'17: Waldorf Quantum - 8 Voice Hybrid
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
I must admit that if it is a weighted action keybed, it put me off a bit... I'm NOT a piano player, and this is a SYNTH, not a piano... I find synth action to Semi Weighted keys easier to play fast contrary to weighted keys... but other than that, I have nothing to complain about yet... will just have to wait and see what Waldorf does with this thing... it may even end up being vaporware, we've seen it happen before, though the prototype seems to warrant some hope.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 07:00:34 AM »
I honestly think it would be nice to see a company do more upright synths. Really would like to see a modern Synclavier

where everything is in front of you as opposed to bellow you.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
Absolutely!  I've always loved the Minimoog design, with its adjustable raised panel.  Even the Little Phatty and Sub 37 instruments offer this advantage in a fixed way.  It's especially practical with the top instrument in a stack.  If only DSI could incorporate this into their line.

Shaw

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »
I've always loved the Minimoog design, with its adjustable raised panel.

+1 for adjustable panels.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 07:54:51 AM »
Mmmmmm....

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »
Absolutely!  I've always loved the Minimoog design, with its adjustable raised panel.  Even the Little Phatty and Sub 37 instruments offer this advantage in a fixed way.  It's especially practical with the top instrument in a stack.  If only DSI could incorporate this into their line.

Actually DSI is one company I don't think the adjustable panel would work for. Unless Dave decides to partner with Cameron Jones and do a modern Synclavier. Can't really put it into words why, I just don't think it would fit DSI/Sequential

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
No, I don't expect it, but it sure would have been nice.  Imagine the Pro 2 with a raised panel.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
Well... in my case, I have lots of rack gear BEHIND the keyboard, so a raised panel like those would only give me problems reaching the other equipment.... but I can see the point in it being more "up front"... just would not work in my environment, so I'm happy if the developers AT LEAST make it flip'able so that everyone could get it the way they want it... luckily this will not be an issue with the Quantum, as this is 100% certain to enter my studio s my main and only controller keyboard synth...

Shaw

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
I have lots of rack gear BEHIND the keyboard, so a raised panel like those would only give me problems reaching the other equipment....

+2 for adjustable panels
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
Well... in my case, I have lots of rack gear BEHIND the keyboard, so a raised panel like those would only give me problems reaching the other equipment.... but I can see the point in it being more "up front"... just would not work in my environment, so I'm happy if the developers AT LEAST make it flip'able so that everyone could get it the way they want it... luckily this will not be an issue with the Quantum, as this is 100% certain to enter my studio s my main and only controller keyboard synth...

Right.  If the panel angel is adjustable and can be set to lie flat, then it can work for everyone.  Again, the Minimoog is the perfect example.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
It also would have been nice to have linear FM synthesis as well. I honestly would rather that than a VA engine cause VA at this price point is silly when you could get real analog synthesis (VCO or DCO) for the same amount.

While I agree, linear FM would be more interesting, I'm guessing the decision was due to them wanting to take advantage of the analog filter. Your second statement however makes your interest in the Solaris even more puzzling. Considering it's more expensive than this is going to be and doesn't even have an analog filter. Nor does it have true granular, etc.

Again, if you're looking for linear FM, there's certain better/cheaper options than the Solaris.

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
It also would have been nice to have linear FM synthesis as well. I honestly would rather that than a VA engine cause VA at this price point is silly when you could get real analog synthesis (VCO or DCO) for the same amount.

While I agree, linear FM would be more interesting, I'm guessing the decision was due to them wanting to take advantage of the analog filter. Your second statement however makes your interest in the Solaris even more puzzling. Considering it's more expensive than this is going to be and doesn't even have an analog filter. Nor does it have true granular, etc.

Again, if you're looking for linear FM, there's certain better/cheaper options than the Solaris.

I hate the screen on the Quantum compared to the Solaris. The Solaris grew on me where the Quantum hasn’t. Hence the comment I made was in April.

chysn

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 03:37:10 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Nave, and I'm glad to see some of that kick-assness make the move into hardware.

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
I would rather have liked to see desktop synths/keyboard synths with each one of the synthesis types in the QUANTUM, so that the price could have been lowered... instead of this big monster that tries to be everything.... except FM of course...

LoboLives

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
I would rather have liked to see desktop synths/keyboard synths with each one of the synthesis types in the QUANTUM, so that the price could have been lowered... instead of this big monster that tries to be everything.... except FM of course...

Honestly all they had to do was take the multitimbrality of the Blofeld, the hands on approach of the Sledge and put analog filters on it. Pretty much a new PPG Wave (in blue of course). This just seems overly complicated and like I said I hate the touch screen. I think it’ll be a good five years before all the bugs are discovered in this thing. Sometimes it’s better just to keep it simple.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 04:35:33 AM »

Honestly all they had to do was take the multitimbrality of the Blofeld, the hands on approach of the Sledge and put analog filters on it. Pretty much a new PPG Wave (in blue of course). This just seems overly complicated and like I said I hate the touch screen. I think it’ll be a good five years before all the bugs are discovered in this thing. Sometimes it’s better just to keep it simple.

They sort of did that even before the Blofeld when they created the Q+... I'd say ...

I'm not a big fan of workstations disguised as "big dollar synths", and that is what I see both Solaris, Quantum, Kronos, Montage etc. as being... they tend to try to grasp too many things, ending up being mediocre in all aspects... if that is OK for some people, all the power to them, but for me, I'd rather have niche instruments that does less, but does it very well... even limitations can be creative tools, especially when the device sounds that much better in what it does.... and for me, the big ones always end up being too comprehensive... I simply loose interest in programing them because they can do so f****** much, but it takes forever to program something... I have had these types of "big synths" for over 20 years, and just recently switched to small dedicated synths, and I'm not looking back again... much better workflow, much faster, lot more unique since I went from using presets to creating my own sounds from scratch (because it is fast).

This is of course my personal view... people should do what inspire them to make music, and thank god we're all different :D

LoboLives

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »

They sort of did that even before the Blofeld when they created the Q+... I'd say ...

I'm not a big fan of workstations disguised as "big dollar synths", and that is what I see both Solaris, Quantum, Kronos, Montage etc. as being... they tend to try to grasp too many things, ending up being mediocre in all aspects... if that is OK for some people, all the power to them, but for me, I'd rather have niche instruments that does less, but does it very well... even limitations can be creative tools, especially when the device sounds that much better in what it does.... and for me, the big ones always end up being too comprehensive... I simply loose interest in programing them because they can do so f****** much, but it takes forever to program something... I have had these types of "big synths" for over 20 years, and just recently switched to small dedicated synths, and I'm not looking back again... much better workflow, much faster, lot more unique since I went from using presets to creating my own sounds from scratch (because it is fast).

This is of course my personal view... people should do what inspire them to make music, and thank god we're all different :D

Agree 100% although I’m not sure I’d put the Solaris in that category. It seems pretty hands on as opposed to menu diving.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
Neither the Quantum or the Solaris are "workstations."

Shaw

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
I don’t know if anyone has already seen this but... https://www.thomannmusic.com/waldorf_quantum.htm?ref=search_prv_4
$3979, available Jan. 19th.

Anyone know if the enclosure is plastic or metal?

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
Anyone know if the enclosure is plastic or metal?

Metal.