Best Analog Module

chysn

Re: Best Analog Module
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
I know you hate wires. Like I said, that's a compelling objection and there's probably no way around it.

But, I think you'd like what Intellijel offers. You should check out their stuff.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
You're the modular man around here, Chysn.  I respect your knowledge and I will take a look at Intellijel. 

Another issue with the modular approach is that I don't want to spend months and months trying to get an instrument to a fairly completed and playable state.  That's why Pittsburg Modular has interested me, with their small but complete systems, especially the Lifeforms SV-1.  The hardwired module approach has the advantage of always providing a complete and useable instrument, so that adding to it usually means doubling the size of the whole instrument.  With adding Odysseys, SEMs, or Lifeforms, from day one you've got a instrument that's ready to make music.

Do you have experience with Pittsburg Modular?  There aren't many YT demonstrations of there instruments available, and certainly not musical ones, so it's a bit like shooting in the dark.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:52:43 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
Well, I've raved about the Boomstar (5089 in my case) in the past and I do think it's one of the finest monophonic VCO based synthesizers you can get today. I also think the Vermona '14 has potential to be a really fine instrument as well, I've heard lots of good things about it's little brother, the Mono Lancet. I understand that the '14 is only available in really limited quantities though.

Regarding a modular, I don't want to say more than that I sold my system for the very reason that 90% of the sounds I was interested in could be done with i.e. a Sub Phatty or the Boomstar or similar pre-patched synthezier. Taking the price of a modular in account it seems like a waste to get a modular system just to do pretty standard subtractive stuff.

Have you given the MFB Dominion 1 any thought? It seems to be a praised instrument, although I understand that it's almost constantly on back order due to it's popularity (and the manufacturer only making a few at a time).

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
I'm curious, why don't you care for the MatrixBrute? I can think of a few reasons I'm hesitant: it's huge and heavy and it looks very complex. But I haven't really considered much more than that.

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
I'm curious, why don't you care for the MatrixBrute? I can think of a few reasons I'm hesitant: it's huge and heavy and it looks very complex. But I haven't really considered much more than that.

You should definitely try one before buying - it looks the part, but you may have your own opinions about the build quality (specifically, the pots), as well as the sound (pretty good). And it does operate when the panel is folded down flat!

Unfortunately, last time I had a chance to try one, it was sitting next to a Model D reissue, which was in a completely different sonic league.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

chysn

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
Do you have experience with Pittsburg Modular?  There aren't many YT demonstrations of there instruments available, and certainly not musical ones, so it's a bit like shooting in the dark.

Utilities only (dual LFO, output module, signal distribution), not any of their oscillators or filters. They're really well-built. Nobody's knobs are more solid. Pittsburgh builds Studio Electronics's eurorack modules for them, so if you get (for example) a Boomstar 4075 or SEM filter module, they ooze the same high build quality.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
Well, I've raved about the Boomstar (5089 in my case) in the past and I do think it's one of the finest monophonic VCO based synthesizers you can get today.

Yeah, I listened to the Boomstars extensively while considering their eurorack filters. As I recall, at least one major retailer stole some of eXode's work to demo the 5089. They are quite impressive, and it seems like you'd be all over them if you're interested in SEM or Arp kind of stuff.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

There are several reasons.  First, although it seems to sound respectable, considering the size of it and the space it would take up in my music room, I would need it to sound far better.  In other words, it doesn't sound good enough to fill the last few feet I have available, especially as my one and only mono synth.  If it sounded comparable, say, to a Minimoog or a Two-Voice Pro, then I might consider it.  But to my ears, it sounds only fair.  Second, I don't like the design.  It looks gimmicky.  The panel matrix, in my opinion, is a huge waste of space, and it forces most of the parameters over to a crowded left side of the panel.  And third, and most superficially, I think the thing is plain ugly.  I would prefer all of the above-mentioned modules to the Matrixbrute.

I admit, I haven't seriously considered it because the appearance so turns me off.  But I don't think it could be catagorized as one of the best sounding analog mono synths.  Believe it or not, I far prefer the sound of the ARP Odyssey. For whatever reason - and perhaps there's a touch of nostalgia mixed in - the Odyssey has my heart.  And the Oberheim SEM is second.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:59:14 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
Have you given the MFB Dominion 1 any thought? It seems to be a praised instrument, although I understand that it's almost constantly on back order due to it's popularity (and the manufacturer only making a few at a time).

At one point, I was hooked on the Dominion 1.  It does look and sound like a fabulous synthesizer, except that the keyboard is rather short.  But I couldn't find anyone in the US that sells it.  I contacted MFB in Germany, and I believe the closest retailer I could find was Thomann in England.  If there were repairs, what then - ship it overseas?  I don't think so. 

Do you know of anyone on US soil that sells it?  I haven't looked for a while.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:13:22 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 02:37:33 AM »

At one point, I was hooked on the Dominion 1.  It does look and sound like a fabulous synthesizer, except that the keyboard is rather short.  But I couldn't find anyone in the US that sells it.  I contacted MFB in Germany, and I believe the closest retailer I could find was Thomann in England.  If there were repairs, what then - ship it overseas?  I don't think so. 

Do you know of anyone on US soil that sells it?  I haven't looked for a while.

No, sorry. It seems that there is no retailer on the American continent currently. :(

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 02:51:03 AM »
Well... peoples tastes and needs are very different... but if I were to get a monophonic analog box these days, I would most likely go for one of the Dreadbox machines... especially the Erebus, Nyx or even the new Abyss... the later is 4voice polyphonic though, but have build in analog phaser, echo and one more BBD FX capable of chorus/flanger if I recall... that synth is very VERY tempting for me... and yes, it's hands on, no menus, 100% analog from start to end.... the Nyx have a build in Reverb that sounds really analog ... very tempting too... check them out... they are also handbuilt, with thru-hole components and they have a really analog character to them, more in the "dirty ol' analog" style (that I happen to like).
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
Well... peoples tastes and needs are very different... but if I were to get a monophonic analog box these days, I would most likely go for one of the Dreadbox machines... especially the Erebus, Nyx or even the new Abyss... the later is 4voice polyphonic though, but have build in analog phaser, echo and one more BBD FX capable of chorus/flanger if I recall... that synth is very VERY tempting for me... and yes, it's hands on, no menus, 100% analog from start to end.... the Nyx have a build in Reverb that sounds really analog ... very tempting too... check them out... they are also handbuilt, with thru-hole components and they have a really analog character to them, more in the "dirty ol' analog" style (that I happen to like).

The Nyx (with the built-in Splash mkIII digital reverb) examples sound quite interesting....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

chysn

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

A NYX with a three-octave keyboard would be lovely.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his