I have an idea for a drum machine (but I'm not an engineer) THOUGHTS?

LoboLives

I was thinking that too many drum machines these days are menu based but I was thinking that what if there is a way to bring back a basic LM-1/Linn Drum/DMX style layout to a modern drum machine. Combining layouts of the Prophet 6 desktop module as well as the Oberheim Two Voice Pro Sequencer as well as an Oberheim DMX I think this could work.

For example.

Take the clock section of the P6 module. This lets you tap tempo, manually adjust and also scroll through variations of tempos. Add another dial which adjusts the level of swing.

Also take the effects section. Next to it, have an "EDIT" button which allows you to edit effects for just one piece of the selected kit (Done by holding down edit and selecting the desired piece) OR allows you to edit an effect for the entire kit (done by double tapping the Edit button)

Also include the Amplifier Envelope section in which you can adjust and shape each kit piece (also include volume dial)

Just above the pads you have the same P6 patch selector. This is where you store your beats and fills.

Next you have the sequencer

This is where you chain together beats/fills/breaks in order to create a full song. You select the pattern number you want, how many repeats in has and chain them to the next one. Breaks are simply when there is a bar without any drums being played.

You also have a numerical pad and small LCD screen where you customize and select your kits. Similar to the DMX

Finally you have the pads of the Tempest but with actual drum names (Snare, tom1, tom 2, kick etc) above them. Below the pads you have volume dials which adjusts the output for each pad.

I just think there's so many drum machines coming out now but none of them really capture the design or the simplicity of the LM-1, Linn Drum or DMX. They seem to focus on analog techno beats. The sounds would all be sample based (which include the Linn samples, DMX samples and even the EMU drum type sounds). I'm honestly surprised no one has come up with a throwback like this.

Just wondering if building something like this could be possible and if anyone else is interested in something like this?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Have you ever used an RY-30?  It's a sample based drum machine that runs those samples through a synth engine.  If the controls for the synthesis were on the front panel along with realtime editing of the steps, you'd have your dream.
You know what you are describing is almost covered by the Circuit though.  Only four drum parts and the sequencer works more like two tracks with two parts per track.  BUT, aside that, it's what you are describing pretty much minus the immediate access to the mixer section.  The drum samples can be swapped out for user samples.  The samples have rudimentary parameters controlled in realtime.
I really like the way the Circuit does pretty much everything besides the synth selection process, so if just the drum machine side of it was to be released as a more advanced version with individual instrument line outs, I'd snap it up.
A friend owned a Jomox Xbase 09 which the Circuit reminded me of due to the four voice set up (well four if you count open/closed hihats as two voices).  But despite the analogue engine, the TR-style programmer and individual voice outs, it sucked.  I can't quite put my finger on what it was about it, but it was a bit shit as a drum machine.  Using the sounds to compliment another machine was good, it seemed more suited as a set and forget drum bank than being a drum computer.
I grabbed a Volca Beats about a year ago and am satisfied with the joy I get from it with consideration to the price of the thing also.  I don't use the sequencer any more, dropped that about a month into owning it.  I like the access to the sound parameters, but aren't too fussed over analogue drums if I can get the same parameter controls over samples, like on the Circuit.
My favourite drum machine right now is my Beatstep Pro.  I use it to address my VBeats, Vermona Kick Lancet, RY-30 and Rhythm Wolf (via the gate-in on it from one of the BSP gate-outs).  There are some things I'd like on it that aren't, but they are more aimed at it being able to control more than one channel and wouldn't be an issue if it had it's own synth engine.  I love that little sequencer!  If only the Drumbrute was smaller and used samples as well as subtractive analogue.