MS20 or ARP Oddessy!?!?!

RobH

MS20 or ARP Oddessy!?!?!
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:41:20 AM »
Hi guys, so for some weeks i've been saving to add a new synth to my setup and was sure i was going to get a ms20mini!

At the moment i run a sub37, Tempest and a microkorg and i am really looking for some brilliant screaming filter leads synthesis!

Then i went to the shop to demo the MS20 and i was in love, like for real totally loved this synth, unfortunetley they have a ARP sat next to it that i started to play on and all of a sudden my MS20 choice was now MS20 or ARP :)

So i wondered what the community thinks of both these synths before i bite the bullet!?!?

Which would you choose and why!?!?!?

Re: MS20 or ARP Oddessy!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »
Hi guys, so for some weeks i've been saving to add a new synth to my setup and was sure i was going to get a ms20mini!

At the moment i run a sub37, Tempest and a microkorg and i am really looking for some brilliant screaming filter leads synthesis!

Then i went to the shop to demo the MS20 and i was in love, like for real totally loved this synth, unfortunetley they have a ARP sat next to it that i started to play on and all of a sudden my MS20 choice was now MS20 or ARP :)

So i wondered what the community thinks of both these synths before i bite the bullet!?!?

Which would you choose and why!?!?!?

Your mileage may vary, but the keybeds on both the FS as well as the 86% versions of both (Arp Odyssey / MS20) are grouped keys (three per octave), and definitely not designed for long-term reliability IMHO:

Full-size:

The Arp Odyssey is available in a keyboard-less module version, as is the MS-20 (in kit form, a bit more expensive). I can't speak to the way in which you acquire gear over the long term, but I generally try to avoid semi-pro stuff in favor of units which look as if they'll last a generation or two.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:33:10 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

RobH

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
Yes, I agree, unforunetly the MS20 desktop is unavailable, I would more than likely get the desktop version of the arp as well, although the faders leave a lot to be desired.

I want the sounds though and no getting around the cheap feel of these synths without buying originals which is am not able to do.

Soundwise though, I think i'm going to have to go for the MS20 for its more unique sounds then grab an arp next in a few more weeks/months, well, thats unless something else catches my eye lol!!!

I'm kind of gutted the MS20 desktop is unavailable and korg doesn't do runs of this unit pre-built its like they are missing a trick if you ask me....

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:45 AM »
There is the other idea of chopping them up and making your own case, I have been meaning to so this with my Karp and MS20 mini.

They both have a problem though were they don't respond to pitchbend from midi :(

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:44 AM »
There is the other idea of chopping them up and making your own case, I have been meaning to so this with my Karp and MS20 mini.

They both have a problem though were they don't respond to pitchbend from midi :(

The Odyssey module does respond to pitchbend.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
The keyboards don't though, that's why I mentioned it when chopping them up to make your own case.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
The keyboards don't though, that's why I mentioned it when chopping them up to make your own case.

The FS and module do; the 86% unit does not.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 12:14:51 AM »
Thats why I said "mini" in the post ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:56 AM »
The Arp Odyssey is available in a keyboard-less module version, as is the MS-20 (in kit form, a bit more expensive). I can't speak to the way in which you acquire gear over the long term, but I generally try to avoid semi-pro stuff in favor of units which look as if they'll last a generation or two.

I haven't yet decided, but I'm still considering the possibility of getting an Odyssey Module.  In light of your above comment, what are you saying regarding the Odyssey?  Do you think it's a cheaply-made short-lived instrument?

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

I haven't yet decided, but I'm still considering the possibility of getting an Odyssey Module.  In light of your above comment, what are you saying regarding the Odyssey?  Do you think it's a cheaply-made short-lived instrument?

Not at all - if you don't mind using the panel-mounted Proportional Pitch Controllers (PPCs), the module doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws that would keep me from buying one myself....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
That's good news.  Thanks.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
I'm very tempted to get two ARP Odyssey modules and a Doepfer Dark Time sequencer myself. I just wonder if I should spend more and get an Oberheim Two Voice instead where it's all a single unit. I think it really depends on what you want to do with it. Play leads and what not then I would say the ARP but I'd you are more experimental, droning type stuff then MS-20.

RobH

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
So i got the MS20 mini, its pretty sick, it has the noise flaw i knew about but to be honest its a noisy as hell weird ass synth anyway it doesn't really matter for the stuff i want to do with it, all dance in your face shit lol.

Is there anyone here who is a MS20 pro and could possibly help me work out a patch from one of my favourite bands/producers?

The infamous soulwax krack patch lol?

If anyone has any proper experience with the ms20 and knows it inside out and could help me with this pls give a shouT!!!

RobH

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
I got the ms20 mini and i have to say i am in love with this instrument.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »

Welcome to the family.

I have no idea what patch you were necessarily referencing but my google-fu came up with this:

Judging from that it sounds like a pretty straight forward sound.

If anything just have fun with it. Try patching in the pink noise to the vco or filters to get some dirty movement ((noise being the secret ingredient to MS20 patches))

RobH

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 03:46:35 AM »

Welcome to the family.

I have no idea what patch you were necessarily referencing but my google-fu came up with this:

Judging from that it sounds like a pretty straight forward sound.

If anything just have fun with it. Try patching in the pink noise to the vco or filters to get some dirty movement ((noise being the secret ingredient to MS20 patches))

Thanks! yes that is the patch i was trying to get to, the picture in that video doesn't have any relation to the patch though lmao, but the poster did end up posting me the actual patch, it didn't quite sound like the song or the video so im guessing its heavily processed and Eq'd.

Noise is the secret ingredient you say! I will certainly start patching more into my sounds! I'm still getting to grips with  the synth, after having it for a while now i have to say that im kind of slightly disapointed, the filter doesnt have the lovely liquid quality you hear in the original synths, which is slightly disapointing for the work i really wanted to do with it involved mostly that sound haha, but, i still use it lots and get some nice sounds from it, one day i might upgrade to an original if funds ever allow!